Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part IV - Looking for a SaveYeor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
Had a night to sleep on it.

Still incredibly annoyed. Got chirped by a Leafs fan about it too; that didn't help.

When Leafs fan chirp you about coaches, you know something's wrong.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
We really should try to get Melnykphobia# trending on Twitter.

Anything that man touches almost certainly turns to ****.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Whether or not Melnyk had anything to do with BB not signing here I'm just sick of him in general. When you hear about the owner this much it's not a good thing

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Welp, aside from Melnyk stuff I think Yeo would do good here.

Him going into his interview with all that prep shows a high level of commitment which is a good step.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There are still guys out there who I'd be ok with, but if we end up hiring a guy like Crawford or Carlyle or Hartley, I will rage hotter and faster than ten supernovas.

Luckily, I think we are smarter than that, but you know... there's always that nagging doubt in the back of your head just poking at you and stirring up all the bad thoughts.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
my pick hasn't been interviewed yet, hope they wait a little longer :)

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Bottom line is that the team considered the pros and cons and decided not to match/beat Minnies offer. If in fact the the issue was term, shows that they were not certain that Bruce could get the job done. It's one thing to keep paying for a fired coach, but it's different if you have to pay him $2 million not to report to work. In most markets, this wouldn't matter but it does in Ottawa - no matter who owns the team.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
There are still guys out there who I'd be ok with, but if we end up hiring a guy like Crawford or Carlyle or Hartley, I will rage hotter and faster than ten supernovas.

Luckily, I think we are smarter than that, but you know... there's always that nagging doubt in the back of your head just poking at you and stirring up all the bad thoughts.

Yes, that would turn quickly from an annoyance to full blown nightmare.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I am now rooting for us to hire one of Hartley Carlyle or Crawford.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Seriously it feels like this : They had a first love( Yeo ) that they were probably ready to give a contract when all the interview are done, but than the Hot chick ( Boudreau ) was dump by is boyfriend ( Anaheim ). The Hot chick is so attractive that you have no choice to show interest, especially because she's interested in you. Also, you know that your friends ( sens fans ) will pressure you to ask the Hot chick out. In the end, she had other offer and décide to choose someone else. You made thé offer but it doesn't she was your first choice deep down.

It could be that, it could be Melnyk being cheap,bit could be both. Maybe Melnyk wanted BB but Dorion like someone better.

Wait and see.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just a reminder today....

Ottawa Senators,

You ****ed Up

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think they offered the same thing they wanted to offer Yeo thinking "well if he doesn't take it we have a fallback".

If this backfires it would be an awful, awful start for Dorion.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
My money's on Sens management ******** the bed once again and ending up paying another no-name, no-experience guy to coach the team. Dorion and Menlyk will say that this guy is the real deal, they have strong faith yadda yadda, team will miss playoffs again. Cycle continues.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Daniel Alfredsson is like 'I told you when I left that ownership was not committed to winning, and you all said it was about $$$.'

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Daniel Alfredsson is like 'I told you when I left that ownership was not committed to winning, and you all said it was about $$$.'

And now Alfie is back with the organization. Wonder what he is thinking now

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Bottom line is that the team considered the pros and cons and decided not to match/beat Minnies offer. If in fact the the issue was term, shows that they were not certain that Bruce could get the job done. It's one thing to keep paying for a fired coach, but it's different if you have to pay him $2 million not to report to work. In most markets, this wouldn't matter but it does in Ottawa - no matter who owns the team.

How does Buffalo or Edmonton do it then? They both spent around 3 million at 4-5 years each.

Different owners. Willing to spend money on coaching. Very similar situation to us historically (similar revenues).

Hell - Florida spent 73 million this year and they make way less revenue than us. San Jose outspent us. Nashville outspent us. Tampa Bay outspent us.
Minnesota is similar to us historically in Revenues/OI - they got Boudreau instead of us.

I don't hate Melnyk but really - there are countless examples of owners willing to spend (even beyond their means on occasion). Hell - Melnyk did it for ~3-4 years post lockout. It does matter that Melnyk owns the team.

If we lose out on Mike Yeo... the only other guy who has shown he can be a stable option for 3-4 years...

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Samsquanch said:
He keeps falling back to that one point. Yes I took exception to it at the time. But it's one of 3 or 4 different red flags that went up for me over the course of this whole event.

It's a lot more appropriate to say those things could very well have affected the hiring, instead of saying they had no bearing on it whatsoever, considering the fact that he didn't sign here...

But whatever, I'm just shocked that people can still stand behind them and try to justify the fact that we didn't want to give him the 4th year.

It's only going to make them look worse when Dorion gets up on stage and gives us a very shaky statement on why it didn't work out.

Why would I go back to points that I didn't take issue with? My critique was never about people being unsure if we could get a deal done, but with the irrational logic and demonizing of Melnyk for what shouldn't have been a concern. Admittedly the #Melnykphhobia thing was the result in growing increasingly tired with the absurd arguments getting thrown about (not you specifically, but collectively) and my have crossed the line towards being a bit childish myself, but frankly, when the conversation gets that absurd, a little humour is my way not losing my mind over how stupid some of the stuff around here can get.

I also don't see too many (if any) blindly trusting management. Most think that it was a mistake not to offer a 4th year. Some have suggested that management may have had reasons why they didn't do it, (ie the only logical reason we didn't offer it wasn't Melnyk, there are other possibilities), but few are saying it was the right choice from the info we are privy to.

You were right in your prediction in that we didn't end up landing Boudreau. Not sure that it has anything to do with us not being aggressive enough in our pursuit, though that may just have been a symptom of our risk adverse nature.

If this is a case were the Wild outbid what Dorion was willing to offer, only time will tell if it was a mistake or not to set the threshold too low, undervalued Boudreau (or overvalued the other options). If Dorion was willing to make the same offer, but was trying to get in a little lower first, then the blame rests solely on his shoulders for the miscue in not getting his target.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Whether or not Melnyk had anything to do with BB not signing here I'm just sick of him in general. When you hear about the owner this much it's not a good thing

It's going to happen.

He has done nothing to show fans that he's aiming for anything further than an 8th place finish. It's the same thing every year. Miracle runs just aren't that exciting anymore.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How does Buffalo or Edmonton do it then? They both spent around 3 million at 4-5 years each.

Different owners. Willing to spend money on coaching. Very similar situation to us historically (similar revenues).

Hell - Florida spent 73 million this year and they make way less revenue than us. San Jose outspent us. Nashville outspent us. Tampa Bay outspent us.

I don't hate Melnyk but really - there are countless examples of owners willing to spend beyond their means. It does matter that Melnyk owns the team.

It seems like we're already on Plan B for coaching and there are 2 other teams competing with us. Do we go to Plan C and then Plan D?

Buffalo lost out on the Babcock sweepstakes, went on to hire option B. Not too many are complaining over there.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Buffalo lost out on the Babcock sweepstakes, went on to hire option B. Not too many are complaining over there.

Because it wasn't for a lack of commitment. There's nothing you can do if a coach doesn't want to sign with your team.

Completely different situation.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Did we lose out because Minnesota offered Boudreau 7 years and 6 million dollars?

We lost out on Boudreau because we weren't willing to go to the new standard contract for a coach with his resume (as shown by Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Washington and others).

Their option B is richer than our option A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad