Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part IV - Looking for a SaveYeor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
98 points and 100 points with minny is very impressive, 40 plus wins. How is yeo's possession stats?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm not really getting the Hartley hate here, he's a pretty good coach. Yes he had that powerful Avs team but he managed to squeeze everything he could out of pretty average Atlanta and Calgary teams.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm excited for the presser where Melnyk gets Dorion to announce the new coach. It will be some dude that Melnyk met at an airport bar, they bond over some Shirley Temples, this guy shows EM what hashtags are, blows his mind and boom, he's our new coach. #winning becomes the new Senators official slogan. Jerkstore designs jerseys with the logo. We all buy one because we're lemmings. Maple Leafs win the Cup.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I understand the reasoning if it came down to Boudreau vs Yeo + Hoffman.

Still sucks that money holds us back. For a contract that is equivalent to a 3rd liner.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm not really getting the Hartley hate here, he's a pretty good coach. Yes he had that powerful Avs team but he managed to squeeze everything he could out of pretty average Atlanta and Calgary teams.

Cant teach defense. We suck defense.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
There are still guys out there who I'd be ok with, but if we end up hiring a guy like Crawford or Carlyle or Hartley, I will rage hotter and faster than ten supernovas.

Luckily, I think we are smarter than that, but you know... there's always that nagging doubt in the back of your head just poking at you and stirring up all the bad thoughts.

Exactly how I feel. If we get one of those coaches... I'll be one angry gal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did we lose out because Minnesota offered Boudreau 7 years and 6 million dollars?

We lost out on Boudreau because we weren't willing to go to the new standard contract for a coach with his resume (as shown by Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Washington and others).

Their option B is richer than our option A.

Are the flames not committed to winning? They lost out on Boudreau.

How about Anaheim? They fired the guy that was "clearly the best coach on the Market".

We offered a contract that apparently was competitive, and got beat out on term. The funniest part is that had Boudreau come here, he likely would have gotten extended (i think he's good enough to not get fired in his first 3 years) and likely at a raise too.

I think the org shot itself in the foot. Hopefully it can still get one of the good options still on the market.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Exactly how I feel. If we get one of those coaches... I'll be one angry gal.

I agree, and yet they may decide that after all the blow back on the Boudreau affair that they need to hire one of those coaches from a PR point of view because they are coaches who have been around for awhile and that most people have heard of.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

The ONLY reason I would want Hartley is to see our team throw constant cheap shots and get into line brawls

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Guys relax, we have the greatest fans, we have a great owner that wants to win and is passionate, we have amazing talent that is not in the NHL but who cares, and Melnyck can serve us whatever hot dogs he likes and skate with his daughters whenever he likes. - everything is great in Ottawa.

And we've been promised a playoff team by the GM and Owner, and to quote the owner, he always delivers on his promises.

Now please go blow yourselves up and stop being so friggin cheap all the time.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Are the flames not committed to winning? They lost out on Boudreau.

Doesn't seem like they were in the running for BB. They might have liked him, but I don't think the feeling was reciprocated. That's not true in our case.

How about Anaheim? They fired the guy that was "clearly the best coach on the Market".

Different circumstances. They had to make that move just for the sake of change even though he was a good coach.

We offered a contract that apparently was competitive, and got beat out on term. The funniest part is that had Boudreau come here, he likely would have gotten extended (i think he's good enough to not get fired in his first 3 years) and likely at a raise too.

I think the org shot itself in the foot. Hopefully it can still get one of the good options still on the market.

Agreed. The org screwed up. I don't see how the 4th year has anything to do with Dorion. This feels like a Melnyk kaibosh, as he was afraid BB will be on the books for 4 years.

Othello*

Guys relax, we have the greatest fans, we have a great owner that wants to win and is passionate, we have amazing talent that is not in the NHL but who cares, and Melnyck can serve us whatever hot dogs he likes and skate with his daughters whenever he likes. - everything is great in Ottawa.

And we've been promised a playoff team by the GM and Owner, and to quote the owner, he always delivers on his promises.

Now please go blow yourselves up and stop being so friggin cheap all the time.

What more could be ask for? Our owner guaranteed us the best coach available and a cup!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What more could be ask for? Our owner guaranteed us the best coach available and a cup!

Should have read the fine print.

Well they offered more than Toronto. They literally did everything to get him.

I didn't realize that so I went and checked

Toronto - 8 years, 6.25 million.

Babcock on Buffalo: "After the presser, Babcock informed reporters in a separate media scrum that the Sabres' offer was actually bigger than the one he agreed to with Toronto." - http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...says-sabres-offer-was-bigger-than-maple-leafs

So Buffalo with similar revenue and less operating income than us offered over 6 million at 8 or more years. They competed with the biggest organization in hockey for the best coach.
We won't touch 3 million and 4 years because Boudreau might not work out.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Seriously I am still waiting can someone give me a real break down of what makes Bruce the best available coach ?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I'm excited for the presser where Melnyk gets Dorion to announce the new coach. It will be some dude that Melnyk met at an airport bar, they bond over some Shirley Temples, this guy shows EM what hashtags are, blows his mind and boom, he's our new coach. #winning becomes the new Senators official slogan. Jerkstore designs jerseys with the logo. We all buy one because we're lemmings. Maple Leafs win the Cup.

I will be bumping this thread in 5 years when this is reality.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Had a night to sleep on it.

Still incredibly annoyed. Got chirped by a Leafs fan about it too; that didn't help.

When Leafs fan chirp you about coaches, you know something's wrong.

It wasn't a chirp.
I wouldn't come here (often) to do so.

Last off-season I thought if Babcock fell through Richardson would be a good idea. Sabres fans thought so too.

I felt he would be a viable option.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why would you pay a coach a salary when there are people who volunteer to coach children's teams for free? Doesn't seem very frugal.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It wasn't a chirp.
I wouldn't come here (often) to do so.

Last off-season I thought if Babcock fell through Richardson would be a good idea. Sabres fans thought so too.

I felt he would be a viable option.

The thing is if the Sens haven't already tried to hire coaches with no head coach experience, then most of us would have probably been okay with giving Richardson a shot.

Since we have and they haven't worked out, people here want a coach with head coach experience. Dorion himself also stated the same thing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I didn't realize that so I went and checked

Toronto - 8 years, 6.25 million.

Babcock on Buffalo: "After the presser, Babcock informed reporters in a separate media scrum that the Sabres' offer was actually bigger than the one he agreed to with Toronto." - http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...says-sabres-offer-was-bigger-than-maple-leafs

So Buffalo with similar revenue and less operating income than us offered over 6 million at 8 or more years. They competed with the biggest organization in hockey for the best coach.

Pegula is very wealthy, and his WNY born wife will keep him funnelling in the money. Pegula played the game, with no cap on off ice personnel. It came to his wife wanting to live in a Canadian city, and for Babs, bigger cachet.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Cant teach defense. We suck defense.

I dunno, he's won at every level he's been at. I remember very well those Colorado teams, defense was fine. He had bad defensemen and goaltending in both Atlanta and Calgary.

Yeo's still my personal favourite, I just don't understand the crap Hartley is getting.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Pegula is very wealthy, and his WNY born wife will keep him funnelling in the money. Pegula played the game, with no cap on off ice personnel. It came to his wife wanting to live in a Canadian city, and for Babs, bigger cachet.

But basically Babcock did what Boudreau did, he let another team believe they were the front runner and used them as leverage

Boudreau got way less money then Babcock, but he did the exact same thing. Not only did Babcock increase the $$$$ factor, he introduced using a team as leverage, the idea of a free agent coach, end seen that before in the NHL

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
But basically Babcock did what Boudreau did, he let another team believe they were the front runner and used them as leverage

Boudreau got way less money then Babcock, but he did the exact same thing. Not only did Babcock increase the $$$$ factor, he introduced using a team as leverage, the idea of a free agent coach, end seen that before in the NHL

But Babcock went to the team with the lesser offer, Boudreau didn't. There is good reason to believe that Boudreau came to Ottawa with the Sens being his preferred choice, but we ****ed it up.

If we countered Minnesota's offer but he chose to go to Minnesota for other reasons, I don't think the fan outrage would be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad