Status
Not open for further replies.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Patty Ice said:
Doan was drafted as a Jet :p:

Anyways they did draft Briere...and traded him away just as he was gettin good. Sjostrom, I think, will make a helluva player in a few years in the Sturm mold. All wheels, some hands.

EDIT: had to emphasize the "drafted by the Coyotes" comment so some d-bag doesn't feel the need to inform that that Jets are the 'Yotes.

I knew ;)
He even played 1 season as a Jet before the move to Phoenix.

Anyway, Phoenix seems to have trouble drafting with their 1st pick :
96, Dan Focht (Briere, Lintner, Esche and Letowski after him, it makes 5 players reaching the NHL so not so bad)
1997, Gustafsson (#43) with the lone Wyatt Smith still playing sometimes in the NHL
1998, Desrochers in the 1st round! :shakehead
Vaananen is correct, and Wallin, Westrum or Leach are marginal NHL players...
1999... ouch! Scott Kelman... :eek:
2000, Kolanos, Abid and... that's all...
2001, Sjostrom OK, Spiller ok... and... well... Blindenbacher and Foster at least beat Canada... ;)
2002, Koreis as a possible 1st round flop, and the other 1st rounder is Eager (!) traded and 4th liner. Nothing marvelous after that with some players still in college. But when you see the rest of the 1st round... Eager?!!! I said it at the time it was a strange pick...
2003, 1st pick in the 3rd round (in the deepest draft in years!) for Redenbach, unsigned... and nothing later.

That's why I think we could see some other flops in Phoenix, with Wheeler or Hanzal. Stephenson, Lisin, Porter, Winnik or Gagnon could make something but all have question marks... same with Pelletier or Yandle. There could be good picks in these 2 last drafts but still, I don't think you'll find a worst franchise in 10 years of draft...

As for Valabik and the Thrashers, I don't see why a team can take a gamble in the 1st round when thay have NO results in the NHL, I mean no playoffs in 6-7 seasons... why take a risky player instead of a safe pick? A lot fo scouts said Valabik was falling in the rankings... he's not so bad, but when you have Meszaros already playing with the national team in the worlds (senior team!) during his draft year, I still don't understand how you could draft Valabik over him... :shakehead

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Birko19 said:
I understand they took the best players that were there, what I meant is because they already had drafted such amazing talent they were able to afford taking a risk in 2004 with Valabik.

My whole point is if your team can afford taking a risk every once in a while then the team should go for it, Atlanta were able to afford it because they already had amazing talent in their pool, so it was't a bad idea to take a risk in Valabik.

I don't think that the Thrashers needed to take any risk at #10 the year they drafted Valabik.

There were plenty of holes in the developmental pipeline and DW could have chosen from multiple guys at 10 that could have helped. Even if they were hot for Boris, he likely could have been available later in the first round--so a trade down made sense.

Boris may turn out OK still, but I don't think the Thrashers got value at #10.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Jimmy Howard could be a potential bust...yes he's still young, but he has not impressed me at all this year. Haven't seen him steal any games or make any game-breaking saves that he was known for at Maine.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm gonna disagree on Boyle and Skille, both of whom I've seen listed in this thread a couple of times.

The first couple of times I saw Boyle, not only was I unimpressed, I thought the kid wasn't even good enough to play DIV I NCAA hockey. His skating sucked and he fell on his *** quite a bit. Since then though I've seen huge improvements. He has very good hands and a scorer's touch in close. His skating has gotten much better and I can see him having a bright future.

Skille plays with a ton of energy and I think with his physical skills and that he can at least be a 3rd liner.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Cerebral said:
I'm willing to bet you that Schremp makes the NHL before Chucko does.

Do you have any examples of these project picks of Sutters that have a propensity to turn into solid NHL players? All I see with Chucko is a slow grinder with next to no offensive skill. That's fine if you want to grab guys like that in the first round but you can usually get players of that quality in the fourth round and later.

Likewise, you keep picking these "safe" grinders and you'll never end up with a Zetterberg or a Kaberle. I have no problem with a GM playing it safe sometimes but I also like to see them take some risks on a talented but questionable player. That's what your scouting department is for - not to identify a guy that has a definite future on the fourth line.

Both Chucko and Nystrom are both first round picks (Nystrom was even top 10) that look like they have no chance in the world at a spot in the top 6. I guess it's fine if you only expect a top 10 pick to make your team on the fourth line but I have higher expectations.

Umm..how about Dion Phaneuf. WHAMMO!

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
TransportedUpstater said:
I had season tickets at Cornell from 1999-2003, and I have seen a lot of Pokulok, despite having graduated from that beast of a University.

The entire school let out a collective "What the crap just happened?!?!?!?" when Washington made that pick.

"Raw" does not begin to describe Sasha.

After watching him at the U18 I was thrilled when Wash passed on O'Marra. Not that he was the prize of the draft, I just thought the Caps would take him for certain. When they announced Sasha I was jumping for joy.

On a side note Sasha was a reserve for the WJ team this year so Sutter most think he has some potential.

Phanuthier*

Cerebral said:
I'm willing to bet you that Schremp makes the NHL before Chucko does.
Well, yeah since Schremp is probably gonna make it next year, and Chucko still has anohter 2 years of collage.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Rangerfan said:
when has anyone, who is saying that Valabik is a bust, seen him play? :confused:
he is a great defensive defenceman if you ask me and i see him play a lot (season tickets in Kitchener)
he is gonna be top 4 defenceman for Atlanta in 2 years, mark my words. he is the only defensive defenceman to make it to the OHL All star game in past 5 years if i`m not mistaking. i mean that has got to mean something, doesn`t it??? :teach:
i love like everyone says he is a bust and has never seen him play :madfire: :rant:

I've only seen two game tapes of him so my opinion is based on that and reports I've read.

He can't handle fast forwards in the OHL, he is going to get burned in the NHL unless his development is huge in the next couple years. He takes a lot of dumb penalties and just doesn't have the foot speed to make the smart play.

My bet would be that he will be a third pairing d-man in the NHL who is out there for intimidation only. Think Eric Cairns or John Erskine.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Martin Hanzal screams bust to me. I thought fairly highly of him before the '05 draft, but oh my god, this guy is a total idiot. He gets benched in the WJCs, he's ended up in the USHL(even though he seems to be doing well enough there), and overall seems like a complete idiot. He can turn it around, but unless he takes some immediate steps toward doing so, I can't see him doing as well as expected at the NHL level. No prospect fits the image of million dollar skillset and a ten-cent head than he does.

I also can't see guys like Chucko or Valabik living up to expectations. A guy like Chucko might become a decent grinder, but he'll never justify being picked that high. I also can't see a guy like Valabik do well in the fast-paced NHL. Then again, Chara took a while to develop, but I just can't see him live up to being a top-ten pick.

Also, Anaheim's 2nd rounder from that year(2004), Jordan Smith, looked like he might become a bust(converted to a 4th liner from defense in the AHL already), but unfortunately, we probably will never know what he would've become in professional hockey.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Rangerfan said:
i love like everyone says he is a bust and has never seen him play :madfire: :rant:

Well that seems to be the theme of this thread. It's a guessing game based on statistical assessment. None of these people have seen Korpikoski play other than at the WJC, where he was excellent...so what are they basing their opinions on?

Mindless drivel... :banana:

Phanuthier*

Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
I also can't see guys like Chucko or Valabik living up to expectations. A guy like Chucko might become a decent grinder, but he'll never justify being picked that high. I also can't see a guy like Valabik do well in the fast-paced NHL. Then again, Chara took a while to develop, but I just can't see him live up to being a top-ten pick.
What expectations?

And how was he "high" ? Most guys in his positions are 3rd and 4th liners anyways, if they even make the NHL.

I see his upside as maybe a Deadmarsh or Ryan Smyth, but will probably be more of a Erik Cole, which I would be very happy with.

Just because we might be satisfied with the selection, everyone cries "overrated! homer! high expectations!" The truth of the matter is, late in the 1st round, every player has warts. The Flames decided to pick a player who might not have as much skill, but had other attributes they wanted. We're fine with that, but apperently, thats HF's textbook definition of "homer" et al. :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
BigE said:
Well that seems to be the theme of this thread. It's a guessing game based on statistical assessment. None of these people have seen Korpikoski play other than at the WJC, where he was excellent...so what are they basing their opinions on?

Mindless drivel... :banana:
Aint that the truth...that's why I haven't posted in this forum for the longest time. I was so sick of people commenting on players they watched at most maybe once (and not even for the whole game).

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Phanuthier said:
I see his upside as maybe a Deadmarsh or Ryan Smyth, but will probably be more of a Erik Cole, which I would be very happy with.
I just don't see enough offensive upside in Chucko to compare him to guys like Smyth and Deadmarsh or even Cole. Check out Cole's stats in college - he was up near a point/game in his freshman season at Clarkson and above that mark in his sophomore year.

Chucko is in his sophomore year on a high-scoring Minnesota club and he's failed to even come close to putting up 0.5 points/game. He certainly could be a project player but I don't see him having 2nd line upside.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Phanuthier said:
Well, yeah since Schremp is probably gonna make it next year, and Chucko still has anohter 2 years of collage.
Isn't that sort of the point though? Schremp was selected a pick after Chucko and there is no doubt that he has developed far more quickly. Schremp is an offensive player so that is to be expected to a certain degree but he is currently leading the OHL in scoring while Chucko is tied for 11th on his team in scoring behind 3 or 4 defencemen.

I can see Chucko developing into a decent grinding player but I don't think he has the skating ability to compensate for his lack of natural offensive ability.

Phanuthier*

Cerebral said:
I just don't see enough offensive upside in Chucko to compare him to guys like Smyth and Deadmarsh or even Cole. Check out Cole's stats in college - he was up near a point/game in his freshman season at Clarkson and above that mark in his sophomore year.

Chucko is in his sophomore year on a high-scoring Minnesota club and he's failed to even come close to putting up 0.5 points/game. He certainly could be a project player but I don't see him having 2nd line upside.
I really like what MN_Gopher is saying on this board. Obviously not a scoring wizard, but he's stronger on the puck and more coordinated on his edges. As long as he's improving, I'm not throwing in the towel on him.

Maybe a late bloomer? I remember there was one guy who actually posted better numbers in the NHL then junior, I think it was Shanahan. Chucko still has 2 years (late developer) and he could post better points. But... this is all just my opinion and hope, based on what I read. I've never seen him play.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Personally I love Chucko. He has all the tools to become a first line forward, and I've watched him ALOT.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Phanuthier said:
Maybe a late bloomer? I remember there was one guy who actually posted better numbers in the NHL then junior, I think it was Shanahan. Chucko still has 2 years (late developer) and he could post better points. But... this is all just my opinion and hope, based on what I read. I've never seen him play.
Shanny put a point/game in his first season with London and stepped up with 92 points in 56 games his second year in the OHL. There's a reason why he was the 2nd overall pick in the draft... ;)

I guess we'll see, it's probably unfair of me to brand Chucko as a player with no offensive ability given that he's still young and developing. However, I've read a lot of reports from Minnesota fans that just aren't impressed by Chucko's play and every report I've read (both positive and negative) touches on his skating as being extremely poor.

I guess we'll see what happens in a few seasons. I remember having this same argument about Nystrom after his sophomore year with Michigan though and his offensive potential has steadily dropped since being drafted 10th overall.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
You're not giving Chucko enough credit. Think of a healthy Adam Deadmarsh when you watch chucko play.

Phanuthier*

Cerebral said:
Shanny put a point/game in his first season with London and stepped up with 92 points in 56 games his second year in the OHL. There's a reason why he was the 2nd overall pick in the draft... ;)

I guess we'll see, it's probably unfair of me to brand Chucko as a player with no offensive ability given that he's still young and developing. However, I've read a lot of reports from Minnesota fans that just aren't impressed by Chucko's play and every report I've read (both positive and negative) touches on his skating as being extremely poor.

I guess we'll see what happens in a few seasons. I remember having this same argument about Nystrom after his sophomore year with Michigan though and his offensive potential has steadily dropped since being drafted 10th overall.
Well the difference was Nystrom was drafted to be a 3rd or 4th liner, ala Stephane Yelle or Chris Clark.

Kris Chucko was drafted to be a top 6 player. Hopefully he becomes that, but we'll see. I'm satisfied with his progression thus far.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Phanuthier said:
Kris Chucko was drafted to be a top 6 player. Hopefully he becomes that, but we'll see. I'm satisfied with his progression thus far.
I suppose we'll file this one under "we'll see" as well. I'm pretty happy with Schremp's progression as well... :D

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Al Montoya, Hugh Jessiman, T.J. Oshie, Devyn Dubnyk, Benoit Pouliot, Blake Wheeler, Kenndal Mcardle, Alexander Semin

I don't feel these guys are going to be busts...but I don't think that any of them are going to live up to their expectations....especially Pouliot, Wheeler and Montoya.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
Also, Anaheim's 2nd rounder from that year(2004), Jordan Smith, looked like he might become a bust(converted to a 4th liner from defense in the AHL already), but unfortunately, we probably will never know what he would've become in professional hockey.

I think he was going to end up like another Anaheim 2nd round pick Defenseman turned 4th liner, Stephen Peat. Though with a little bit more character and skill but not as much of a heavyweight.

Rangerfan*

Baron Von Shark said:
Aint that the truth...that's why I haven't posted in this forum for the longest time. I was so sick of people commenting on players they watched at most maybe once (and not even for the whole game).
finally someone smart :handclap:
great point btw :bow:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Dr Quincy said:
I'm gonna disagree on Boyle and Skille, both of whom I've seen listed in this thread a couple of times.

The first couple of times I saw Boyle, not only was I unimpressed, I thought the kid wasn't even good enough to play DIV I NCAA hockey. His skating sucked and he fell on his *** quite a bit. Since then though I've seen huge improvements. He has very good hands and a scorer's touch in close. His skating has gotten much better and I can see him having a bright future.

Skille plays with a ton of energy and I think with his physical skills and that he can at least be a 3rd liner.

Thank you. While I think it is somewhat fair for him to get the future bust label because he was drafted as a project, his progression has been right on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad