Future Busts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
misfit said:
Lukas Kaspar is my first guess as well. I just havne't seen anything from him in the times I've watched him play that has made me take notice.
The guy has been a big letdown so far, I agree...but that's not saying much. He's an 04 draftee!

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
I figure if anyone's got bust potential from the 1st in '05 it's gotta be Kindl.

He's got boom/bust written all over him.

Mar 1, 2002
Baron Von Shark said:
The guy has been a big letdown so far, I agree...but that's not saying much. He's an 04 draftee!

Not a letdown to me at all. Already playing pro hockey at age 19 in the AHL as the 22nd pick with 26 points in 59 games. The #11 pick, Tukonen of the Kings, has 29 in 45 games. #4 pick Ladd has 16 in 24 games.

Kinda seems right on track for a low first rounder to me.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Lundqvist#30 said:
Of the 30 drafted, only four are yet to make their NHL debuts:

Shawn Belle (Dallas)
Brian Boyle (LA)
Hugh Jessiman (NY Rangers)
Mark Stuart (Boston)

I can see all of them making it.
Pouliot hasn't either. I'd think he's pretty safe, though.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
just cause the majority of the class of 03 has made their debut doesnt mean they will make it either.
my picks for busts or big dissapointments.
2003-
Hugh Jessiman#12
Eric Fehr#18
Shawn Belle 30

2004-
Cam Barker
Andrew Ladd
Boris Valabik
Wojtek Wolski
Lukas Kaspar
Kris Chucko
Jeff Schultz
Mark Fistric (especially with his glass jaw)
Mike Green
Andy Rogers

2005-
Benoit Pouliot
Devin Setoguchi
Jack Skille
Sasha Pokulok
Martin Hanzal
Joe Finley

those are my picks im sure they will offend somebody but... its my opinion

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
i agree with lots of yours...

but wolski, ladd, pouliot won't be flops.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
illogic said:
Explanation?
barker hasnt improved much in the last couple of seasons and was pretty averaged at the world juniors for a 20 year old. I dont think he will be able to put it altogether at the pro level. just my opinion, but he is not as good as everybody thinks.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Kris Chucko is my pick and it's not simply because I'm an Oilers fan. The guy only has 13 points in 30 games with Minnesota (tied for 12th in team scoring behind 4 defencemen) and some of the guys picked after him (Schremp, Bolland, Green etc) have already passed him. I understand that he's a big guy and they take time to develop but he sounds like he's destined for a 4th line role at best.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Famous Flames said:
Belle is not at all a lock to make it in the NHL. He has already had to limit and simplify his game in the AHL.

Fistric is on serious bust alert.

Niskanen, who was dominant at a tiny MN high school, has a long way to go.

It's possible that the Stars have 3 first round dmen that will not stick. :shakehead
Don't forgot Martin Vagner, who already is a bust

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
Historically, large forwards (6'4 and up) taken outside of the top 10 have a massive bust rate. With that in mind, I don't think it's a stretch to say that one of Jessiman or Boyle will be a bust. They might make it to the NHL and have a cup of coffee, but I think you'd be making a pretty safe wager if you bet that one would not amount to all that much.

Boyle is actually developing nicely at BC. Had to work his way up from the bottom lines as a freshman. Being as big as he is at 6'7 its going to take some time for him to develop fully. The Kings knew that they were drafting a project and have just let him develop.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Cerebral said:
Kris Chucko is my pick and it's not simply because I'm an Oilers fan. The guy only has 13 points in 30 games with Minnesota (tied for 12th in team scoring behind 4 defencemen) and some of the guys picked after him (Schremp, Bolland, Green etc) have already passed him. I understand that he's a big guy and they take time to develop but he sounds like he's destined for a 4th line role at best.

Chucko wasn't picked to be a finesse, high scorer. He was picked to be a safe pick that either turns into a #2 line player (2nd tier powerforward) or a high impact 3/4th liner. EVerytime his name comes up via the coaching staff (he plays for) they always comment that he is one of the hardest workers on the team. While his hands may not have caught up with his overall game, he still excels in many other aspects.

DEFINATELY not 1 dimensional, nor does he have a ton of pressure to be a high fly player, like a guy like Shremp.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I'm a gopher fan....

Kris Chucko just flat out doesn't impress me, neither does Wheeler.

Chucko can make the nhl, just don't expect a impact,....sure 3rd or 4th liner, who can chip in 10 goals..i dunno.

Not the most physical player either...

Gottokeeponrisin

Sep 22, 2005
California
"Boris Valabik looks like a bust to me"

I agree, this was a bonehead pick, that could have been traded down from the #10 spot. Idk he doesnt seem to be doing nething in juniors besides getting penalty mintues. Yeah like the thrashes need to be shorthanded more than they already are

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think the following players will either be busts or disappointments (Disappointments as in making the NHL but being nowhere near as good as the scouts said they would be):

Braydon Coburn
Andrei Kostitsyn
Hugh Jessiman
Robert Nilsson
Anthony Stewart
Brian Boyle
Shawn Belle

Cam Barker
Blake Wheeler
Marek Schwarz
Lauri Korpikoski
Kris Chucko
Rob Schremp
Mark Fistric
Andy Rogers

Benoit Pouliot
Jack Skille
Sasha Pokulok
Martin Hanzal
Jakub Kindl
Matt Lashoff
Matt Pelech
Joe Finley
Matt Niskanen

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Chucko wasn't picked to be a finesse, high scorer. He was picked to be a safe pick that either turns into a #2 line player (2nd tier powerforward) or a high impact 3/4th liner. EVerytime his name comes up via the coaching staff (he plays for) they always comment that he is one of the hardest workers on the team. While his hands may not have caught up with his overall game, he still excels in many other aspects.

DEFINATELY not 1 dimensional, nor does he have a ton of pressure to be a high fly player, like a guy like Shremp.
Well, I've mostly read that he was expected to hopefully develop into a 2nd line gritty winger. It's mentioned that he has some offensive upside but I don't see it. Factor that in with his poor skating and it's not looking like a solid pick in the first round.

Heck, Dave Bolland was picked after and he's likely a far "safer" bet.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Tim Ramholt has fallen off the radar since going back home.

Gilbert Brule might be too brittle to play in the NHL.

Kaspar, Chucko, Valabik, Fistric and Deslauriers are looking like busts.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
man, Darryl Sutter sure has a propensity to pick busts!

OR

he likes picking prospects that are projects, but he knows they have an excellent chance to make the NHL in some role. Going for a pick that'll make the NHL in the later 1st round where not many do. I'd rather have a project that eventually makes the NHL as a 4th rounder than a sexy pick that doesn't.

In Sutter we trust

before someone says something about how Sutter could have had Zajac if he didn't trade down, he wouldn't have had Boyd or Prust if he didn't trade the 19th for the 24th and 46th and the 46th for two 3rd rounders. So Chucko, Prust, Boyd > Zajac. Sutter wins

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2002
Korpido said:
Robert Nilsson. I just don't think he'll ever put it all together.

Not with the idiots in charge on the Island who play him on the 1st line one night, then the 4th for 2 weeks, then the 1st for one night, then send him down.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
sehnsucht said:
man, Darryl Sutter sure has a propensity to pick busts!

OR

he likes picking prospects that are projects, but he knows they have an excellent chance to make the NHL in some role. Going for a pick that'll make the NHL in the later 1st round where not many do. I'd rather have a project that eventually makes the NHL as a 4th rounder than a sexy pick that doesn't.
I'm willing to bet you that Schremp makes the NHL before Chucko does.

Do you have any examples of these project picks of Sutters that have a propensity to turn into solid NHL players? All I see with Chucko is a slow grinder with next to no offensive skill. That's fine if you want to grab guys like that in the first round but you can usually get players of that quality in the fourth round and later.

Likewise, you keep picking these "safe" grinders and you'll never end up with a Zetterberg or a Kaberle. I have no problem with a GM playing it safe sometimes but I also like to see them take some risks on a talented but questionable player. That's what your scouting department is for - not to identify a guy that has a definite future on the fourth line.

Both Chucko and Nystrom are both first round picks (Nystrom was even top 10) that look like they have no chance in the world at a spot in the top 6. I guess it's fine if you only expect a top 10 pick to make your team on the fourth line but I have higher expectations.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Cerebral said:
Likewise, you keep picking these "safe" grinders and you'll never end up with a Zetterberg or a Kaberle. I have no problem with a GM playing it safe sometimes but I also like to see them take some risks on a talented but questionable player. That's what your scouting department is for - not to identify a guy that has a definite future on the fourth line.

There's a problem with picking guys like Zetterberg and Kaberle, non were picked in the 1st round, so risking with a talented player in the later rounds is not that big of a problem because it's a later round anyways, but risking a 1st rounder sometimes matters to some teams that cannot afford to risk it, specially those teams that need immediate impact.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
golleafsgo_17 said:
these are the players that I believe have the best chance of busting from the 1st rnds of 2004 and 2005

Schultz- nearly made the Caps with an impressive training camp. Very likely to be an NHL player. Prob a 2nd pairing guy at best but solid if unspectacular.
Boris Valabik
Lauri Korpikoski
Jeff Schultz
Mark Fistric
Andy Rogers

Sasha Pokulok-Pokulok surprised making the canada roster. Has played better as season has worn on at Cornell. great toolbox guy. Rumours are the Caps may sign him this year. Doesbn't seem like a disappointment to me.
Martin Hanzal
Matt Pelech
Joe Finley-At UND. Seems to be progressing well, wildly agressive.
Vladimir Mihalik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->