Future Busts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
In my opinion, every player from the first round of the 2003 entry draft will make it to the NHL. Which of the players from the last two drafts 2004 and 2005 do you see as busts in the making and will never play a single NHL game?

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Lundqvist#30 said:
In my opinion, every player from the first round of the 2003 entry draft will make it to the NHL. Which of the players from the last two drafts 2004 and 2005 do you see as flops in the making and will never play a single NHL game?

Id bet that atleast one player from the 2003 draft 1st round, doesnt stick in the NHL. Its an unreal draft, but surely 1 will be a bust.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
J17ster said:
Id bet that atleast one player from the 2003 draft 1st round, doesnt stick in the NHL. Its an unreal draft, but surely 1 will be a bust.

Historically, large forwards (6'4 and up) taken outside of the top 10 have a massive bust rate. With that in mind, I don't think it's a stretch to say that one of Jessiman or Boyle will be a bust. They might make it to the NHL and have a cup of coffee, but I think you'd be making a pretty safe wager if you bet that one would not amount to all that much.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Of the 30 drafted, only four are yet to make their NHL debuts:

Shawn Belle (Dallas)
Brian Boyle (LA)
Hugh Jessiman (NY Rangers)
Mark Stuart (Boston)

I can see all of them making it.

Vic Rattlehead*

Lundqvist#30 said:

Shawn Belle (Dallas)
Brian Boyle (LA)
Mark Stuart (Boston)

Mark Stuart will make the NHL, but it's what type he will be that no one knows (Top four shutdown defenceman, or gritty #5/6 defenceman).

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Machoking2003-04 said:
Steve Brenier wont stick in the National leauge.

Want to explain why? He has looked fantastic playing on the Sharks' second line with Michalek and Marleau. He's been creating space, setting up plays, and wreaking havoc on the boards. The boy has a fine skillset to go along with his bulldozer size yet we are to believe you oh mighty fake *** Nostradamus? Let me guess...you don't like his conditioning via THN's Draft Preview from 2003.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Lundqvist#30 said:

Shawn Belle (Dallas)
Brian Boyle (LA)
Mark Stuart (Boston)

I have limited knowledge on these guys. Jessiman was looking a potential bad pick until this year, but has played well in Hartford. All i know is Boyle is huge, i know little of Stuart or Belle. Id be willing to bet on these guys is a bust.
And im pretty sure that 1 of the other 26 players from the 1st round might end up being a bust.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
19bruins19 said:
Mark Stuart will make the NHL, but it's what type he will be that no one knows (Top four shutdown defenceman, or gritty #5/6 defenceman).
Agreed. Watching Stuart at CC, I think it's a safe bet that he'll make the NHL as a regular contributor. Whether or not he can reach his full potential is anyone's guess.

Mar 1, 2002
Bernier will be a beast for 15 years.

The line of Bernier/Marleau/Michalek is going to be a terror. All three have speed and are at least 220. Have fun.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
from 2005: Goalies are always hard to Judge so eventhough Rask and Price are both looking very good right now either one could be a bust or one or both may end up stars.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Habsfan 32 said:
I think every player from the 1st round in 2003 will make it. Valabik looks like a bust for sure. Too slow for the new NHL.
I was sure he'd be mentioned. Big defensmen take longer to develop so I hope he will make it.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
these are the players that I believe have the best chance of busting from the 1st rnds of 2004 and 2005

Boris Valabik
Lauri Korpikoski
Jeff Schultz
Mark Fistric
Andy Rogers

Sasha Pokulok
Martin Hanzal
Matt Pelech
Joe Finley
Vladimir Mihalik

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
MojoJojo said:
How has Kostytsin looked? Red line gushed about the guy but he's been very underwhelming in the AHL.
"Back home" in Habsville, I'm classified as a Kostitsyn doubter. But I think he'll probably make it. His numbers have been underwhelming in the AHL, yes. Those who say he might be a better NHLer than AHLer aren't purely indulging in wishful thinking, though, IMHO. He did look pretty good when he was up with the big team. The tools are all still there, it's just a matter of him figuring out how to employ them consistently.

Now, you can say that about a lot of guys who busted too, of course. But Kostitsyn's tools really are shiny and slick enough that he should be able to stick somewhere in the NHL someday, even if it ends up that he always seems to be one of those underachieving 2nd-line offensive types who gets 15-20 goals on a weak team, always looks like he should be doing more, but still is the best thing that sad team has. Of course, if he finds a way to apply himself consistently and make use of his teammates more, he could be better than that. Or if he runs into the wrong series of coaches at the wrong time, that 15-20 goal 2nd line offensive role might be shortened drastically.

Anyway, if people are going to make a list of 2003 1st round players who might bust, then Kostitsyn does deserve to be there if Boyle and Stuart do, IMO. I wonder if Nilsson or Pouliot couldn't also receive similar doubting looks, though? :dunno:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
steve downie is going to have a hard time staying in the NHL, and not because of his ability to play hockey ;)

alex radulov will not be very good in the pro ranks, and chris chucko, blake wheeler, and cam barker will be blips

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
golleafsgo_17 said:
these are the players that I believe have the best chance of busting from the 1st rnds of 2004 and 2005

Lauri Korpikoski

bust in what sense? that maybe he doesn't turn into a 1st or 2nd round player? cuz if korpikoski doesn't turn into a NHLer on some level i'll be dammed

he's either gonna be a very nice third liner or a good second liner, depending on how his offense comes along. next year in the AHL will be the first chance to really evaluate his future potential i think

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Levitate said:
bust in what sense? that maybe he doesn't turn into a 1st or 2nd round player? cuz if korpikoski doesn't turn into a NHLer on some level i'll be dammed

he's either gonna be a very nice third liner or a good second liner, depending on how his offense comes along. next year in the AHL will be the first chance to really evaluate his future potential i think

He hasn't scored much in finnish league but thats because he doesnt get ice time. He will be a wolfpack next season. BTW he looked amazing at the WJC this season. Sweet Shorthanded goal and blazing speed.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
hockeyman28 said:
steve downie is going to have a hard time staying in the NHL, and not because of his ability to play hockey ;)

alex radulov will not be very good in the pro ranks, and chris chucko, blake wheeler, and cam barker will be blips

Explanation?

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
Belle is not at all a lock to make it in the NHL. He has already had to limit and simplify his game in the AHL.

Fistric is on serious bust alert.

Niskanen, who was dominant at a tiny MN high school, has a long way to go.

It's possible that the Stars have 3 first round dmen that will not stick. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->