Funny/bad calls made by refs (personal experiences)

Yelnats Puc

Brust 'em up!
Aug 30, 2007
Ottawa
From the NHL rulebook:
Rule 83.1
[...] However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,†provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line. [...]

Super Sniper Cele

Aug 24, 2006
Pittsburgh
I was in a tournament a few years ago and got kicked out of our first game for boarding. I completely disagreed with the call and swore and screamed at the ref for about five minutes. I came back and played two games next day, and then the championship game was the day after that. We were winning in the third period and I dropped back on defense for the last minute of the game. My partner had the puck behind our net with about ten seconds to go, and I called for a pass standing on the goalline near the corner. He passed it over and I just let a ripper go right at the ref who was standing at the blueline.

He wasn't very happy that there was nothing he could do about it, and of course I acted like I had no idea what he was talking about. :laugh:

lemieux32*

I was in a tournament a few years ago and got kicked out of our first game for boarding. I completely disagreed with the call and swore and screamed at the ref for about five minutes. I came back and played two games next day, and then the championship game was the day after that. We were winning in the third period and I dropped back on defense for the last minute of the game. My partner had the puck behind our net with about ten seconds to go, and I called for a pass standing on the goalline near the corner. He passed it over and I just let a ripper go right at the ref who was standing at the blueline.

He wasn't very happy that there was nothing he could do about it, and of course I acted like I had no idea what he was talking about. :laugh:

Wow, now you are one class act.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I played in it for 2 years.

I got told that I shouldn't be playing with the men and he made damn sure he singled me out every shift. Hell, one of them went "Hey baby, how bout I buy you a drink after the game?" when I was taking a face off.

Then when I played in the women's league, I got told that I shouldn't be playing with the women because I was too good.

The organizers were just as bad.

Bush league to the extreme.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Someone entered the zone skating backward :)amazed:) and no offside was called. :shakehead

Still the funniest non-call have seen.

as for bad calls, too many to list. Sometimes it feels like the refs are players who were not good enough to play, like if they don't understand some basic physics of the game.
I do that all of the time. I'm pretty sure you can cross the line before the puck if you have control of it while you do so. I always do a little spin move at the blue line, because I know that's where a lot of aggressive D-men like to stand up their man. Get past that, and you can go 1-on-1 or even start an odd man rush.

PEI Hockey

Feb 11, 2008
Charlottetown, PEI

Actually, he could've dinged you with a match penalty. The most extreme penalty in the rule book and it comes with an automatic suspension with review by the governing body.

If it were me, I would've made sure you never left the penalty box in any game I would ref you in the future.

Classless punk. Was mommy proud of you for it?

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
That's exactly the right call (although putting time back on the clock is optional). Same thing goes if a player is let out of the penalty box by the time keeper before his time is up. He doesn't get an extra penalty if it was the fault of one of the on-ice or off-ice officials.

WOW JUST WOW !!!!!!

You are a referee ??????

Unless your not from Canada and your rulebook is totally different then you may be right. However the canadian rulebook clearly states that is plays continue after a few seconds then it does become indeed a too many men penalty.

I'm really hoping your rulebook is different then mine.

As for the guy leaving the bench, he gets an extra 2 minutes added to the time that was left when he left the bench. Hence he might end up with something like 2:16 on the board

Last edited:

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Funniest call I ever witnessed was during a cultural exchange when I was bantam (10 years ago). We were a bunch of Quebec kids that exchanged with some teams in Calgary.

Anyways sometime during the week we had to go watch our host play a game. During the game there was that one kid on the opposing tean who missed a few shots and did some off-sides. So we started laughing at him until someone on the team said : 21 you suck. Then it became a chant and we would sing it whenver #21 was on the ice.

At one point the referee got sick of it he whistled the play, turned around pointed in our direction and told us we had just gotten a 2 minutes penalty for unsportmanlike conduct (keep in mind we're in the stands watching the game ). So our sister exchange team had to play 4 on 5 for 2 minutes. That was really funny.

LoudLarry

Sep 26, 2007
Leaf Land
www.theridersmag.com
Last week my son who is in major peewee was playing in an exhibition game, he was one of the kids on the bubble for last cuts and five minutes into the game a kid on his team who is like a foot shorter wearing number 16 hits a kid from behind.
The Ref blows the play dead graps my son and he gets ejected from the game he was wearing number five.
He ended up getting cut, even though the coach stated it wasn't him who commited the offence. Talk about screwing up a call cost him his shot to play major a rep this year, oh well he took it well, he simply said what can I do Dad, I never touched the guy, made me proud . He made the AE rep team but has to sit out the first reg season game. Whats even better is instead of playing third or second line he'll be on the first line power play and penalty kill so better for his development.
Just a statement I'd like to make to refs here if your working an exhibition game pre-season use your head, you can screw a kid for the season . It took everything I had not to say something tp the ref in front of my son, but I've always told him that reffing is hard and sometimes calls go your way, but this was an utterly stupid call, a borderline open ice hit, wrong kid and all he had to say was sorry but its already on the sheet.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I played in it for 2 years.

I got told that I shouldn't be playing with the men and he made damn sure he singled me out every shift. Hell, one of them went "Hey baby, how bout I buy you a drink after the game?" when I was taking a face off.

Then when I played in the women's league, I got told that I shouldn't be playing with the women because I was too good.

The organizers were just as bad.

Bush league to the extreme.

This is NCHL Calgary? When I started the beginners intake program back in February they made it quite clear that there's zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. There are a few girls in my beginners group as well and they've never had a problem (or at from what I've seen). I guess things are different in the higher divisions?

PEI Hockey

Feb 11, 2008
Charlottetown, PEI
Last week my son who is in major peewee was playing in an exhibition game, he was one of the kids on the bubble for last cuts and five minutes into the game a kid on his team who is like a foot shorter wearing number 16 hits a kid from behind.
The Ref blows the play dead graps my son and he gets ejected from the game he was wearing number five.
He ended up getting cut, even though the coach stated it wasn't him who commited the offence. Talk about screwing up a call cost him his shot to play major a rep this year, oh well he took it well, he simply said what can I do Dad, I never touched the guy, made me proud . He made the AE rep team but has to sit out the first reg season game. Whats even better is instead of playing third or second line he'll be on the first line power play and penalty kill so better for his development.
Just a statement I'd like to make to refs here if your working an exhibition game pre-season use your head, you can screw a kid for the season . It took everything I had not to say something tp the ref in front of my son, but I've always told him that reffing is hard and sometimes calls go your way, but this was an utterly stupid call, a borderline open ice hit, wrong kid and all he had to say was sorry but its already on the sheet.

As a referee, this a horrible moment. All we ever want is to go unnoticed, and like you said, sometimes we screw up. Hope your kid has a great year.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Someone entered the zone skating backward :)amazed:) and no offside was called. :shakehead

Still the funniest non-call have seen.

Uh, you do know that's a perfectly legal play in just about every association? As long as you have possession and control of the puck before you cross the blue line?

as for bad calls, too many to list. Sometimes it feels like the refs are players who were not good enough to play, like if they don't understand some basic physics of the game.

Says the guy who doesn't know the rules, but thinks he can laugh at the refs who do. :laugh:

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007

You embarass yourself. You embarass your family with that.

You should be ashamed.

krax

Jul 25, 2007

I feel sorry for your son, but the coach's duty would have been to tell the ref that he picked the wrong number. Usually a ref will accept this.

Just re-read your post. Apparently the coach did what he had to do. Some refs do not want to listen/discuss :(

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
This is NCHL Calgary? When I started the beginners intake program back in February they made it quite clear that there's zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. There are a few girls in my beginners group as well and they've never had a problem (or at from what I've seen). I guess things are different in the higher divisions?

Glad it's changed.

I had a hell of a first year with them, there were only 2 girls on our team...and there were days that both of us wished that we would have just quit.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
That's too bad. Although I'll admit that most games I play in the NCHL i wish i would have just quit.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
That's too bad. Although I'll admit that most games I play in the NCHL i wish i would have just quit.

It happens, my biggest beef with the league was, they first put me in beginner women's because that was the only women's division. We played against the team of the league 'wives' and seeing as I'm 5'10, former National athlete, I'm a lot bigger and stronger than most of the girls.

Touch them and you'd automatically get 2 minutes.

Then when I moved to the men's league I got told that I shouldn't be playing there and got slack all around from the officials and other teams.

We had racist comments made towards our coaches when I was on the women's team and their "fans" were just plain rude. We played with 6 skaters and won and they tried to cancel our win because one of our girls had to leave early. She's a doctor and had an emegency.

I'm glad I'm out of it now.

I play 40 games a season now, with icetime starting at 7pn and latest, starting 10pm.

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
A couple year ago, the forward of the other team retreat in is own zone but the ref call an offside because his d-men was already in the zone. :handclap:

That the worst call i ever seen heheh.

PEI Hockey

Feb 11, 2008
Charlottetown, PEI
Sometimes it feels like the refs are players who were not good enough to play, like if they don't understand some basic physics of the game.

Actually, most of the best refs in the world played high levels of hockey. Hall of Famer Ray Scapinello played junior in Ontario before becoming a ref, and lots of other guys are former semi pro players who realized they were done playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3RWXwa6NA

This video tells of a few guys who played at higher levels than you ever dreamed of playing. BTW, this video is showed at almost every referee training clinic.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Glad it's changed.

I had a hell of a first year with them, there were only 2 girls on our team...and there were days that both of us wished that we would have just quit.

Or crap wait a minute, I play HNA not NCHL. I GM in a sim league called NCHL so I get confused some times :). The actual NCHL in Calgary I have no idea about.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
remembered another good one, i once tried giving a kid the middle finger with my glove on, the ref gave me 10 minutes. He told me he gave me two minutes for every finger i put up...

LMAO

this has gotta be the funniest thing i ever heard

when i was reffing a game, my partner was calling a penalty when the other team got a goal, my partner (some how) didn't know there was a goal and put the kid in the box, i went up to him and said... "why are you doing that? the other team scored" so the coach started going off on my partner. We took the kid out but for some reason the coach was still yelling.

eventually he got on my partner's nerves and my partner gave him 2 for unsportsmanlike. then gave another bench, and eventually warned the coach that if he didn't be quiet he would be kicked off the bench. the coach keeps yelling and my partner does a countdown to get the coach off.

the coach's own kids who we put in the box were laughing that the coach was being a *********... kinda funny cuz it was my first year as a referee

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Worst Call:
i'm at the left point offensive zone face off. the other team's winger is literally standing next to me on the wrong side of the circle. Somehow i'm the only one who notices (including our center who should not have lined up for the faceoff) I'm screaming and pounding my stick on the ice. i try to start skating in towards the faceoff dot, but as i do the puck drops puck goes right to the winger who comes down on a 2 on 1 (since 'm way out of position now) and scores. I go right up to the ref and tell him what happened (and how i feel about it including a few choice words) bottom line i get a 10 minute misconduct.

best call:
back when i was a peewee, the whistle sounded for an offside against the other team. kid on the other team winds up to take a slapshot well after the whistle and our goalie wasn't paying attention. I hustle over and nail the kid before he gets a chance to shoot. Referee gave the other kid 2 min for unsportsmanlike and i got nothing. their coach was obviously livid and the ref skates over to their bench and says "that kid had no business shooting the puck afer the whistle"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad