Funny/bad calls made by refs (personal experiences)

Back in 94

In Gillis I trust
Jul 21, 2007
Do you guys have any funny or terrible calls a referee has made against you? Last year, I was playing in a U-18 team. I go to take the face off in the offensive zone, as I go for the puck during the faceoff, I accidently follow through a bit too much than I was supposed to. And end up high sticking the referee in the face, who I might add was not even wearing a helmet. I ended up getting a 2 minute penalty. We lost the game, thus losing the tournament.

Anyways, share me your stories.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
I was playing in an adult league game this past winter and was coming up around the circle in the offensive zone. I dished the puck up to the defense, and headed to the net to screen. I was quite a few feet away from the crease when the D shot. It clipped off my shinpad and went in. The ref looks at me and immediately waves the goal off claiming I kicked the puck in. I was almost out by the dot when the puck hit me. I rarely go off on a ref/other player but couldn't contain myself that day.

I looked at him and asked, "I kicked the puck in?". He replied yes, so I asked him to explain how the heck I managed to pull that miraculous Pele' kick into the net off. I was so mad..., still not quite sure how something that clipped my leg was ruled as a kick...

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
I've seen a teammate get drilled from behind and HE gets a penalty for roughing, yeah that game didn't end well.

2 Late 2 Anton

Feb 21, 2008
loudceilingfans.com
I was playing net, and some scrawny kid limped a wrist shot on goal, it flaccidly bounced off my chest protector, and into my lap. I couldn't let him get away with that impotent shot on net, so I shouted "Why you shootin' like a f***ot, your p***y sore?". The play had stopped because I froze the puck, but after the fact, the ref started laughing, and said "1, two minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct".

It was worth it.

Also, while playing net, this kid kept crashing my crease, I was gettin' pissed, and after the fifth time he barrled into me, I told him, next time you rush my crease, I'm gonna kick your ass. And sure enough, the sixth time he knocks my knees out from under me, I rip my helmet drop my glove and blocker, and start wailin' on the kid. Don't feel bad, he saw me comin' and dropped his gloves, too. He didn't get many swings off, because I ended up getting his back. And the clincher in this story, is that when you got into a fight in this league, you're kicked out of the game, but since my team didn't have a back up goalie, I got to play the rest of the game while he had to hit the showers.

That was also worth it.

Last edited:

Opus

Boondoggle
Sep 5, 2006
Funniest call - while playing in a tournament in Buffalo, I was on the bench and an on-ice scuffle broke out after a whistle right in front of our bench. One of the opposing teams players was really hot under the collar and shooting his mouth off. I grabbed a water bottle and sprayed him from the bench. Naturally, he lost it and and started whining to the Official...to which the ref said "Well, it looks like you need cooling off". That was classic!

Worst call - While playing defense and fetching a shoot-in, my stick got caught up in the opening of the boards where the zambonie gate is. The opposing teams checker skated into it and I got a double minor and 10 minute misconduct...brutal!

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
well i told the ref to watch out for this kid i hate because he was cross checking and slashing me the whole game. he slashes my knees and i hit him back, and i got the penalty

another incident with the same kid i was getting the puck and he comes after me on the boards and he punches my head and we get called for coincidentals (sp?). he got roughing i got holding (?) but i didnt touch him.

best thing for me was when this kid randomly cross-checked me into my net after defending my goalie from a fight. i got up and drop my gloves and fight him, and he gets suspended. that was good for me. and this is roller hockey so if you fight you get suspended.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I was playing net, and some scrawny kid limped a wrist shot on goal, it flaccidly bounced off my chest protector, and into my lap. I couldn't let him get away with that impotent shot on net, so I shouted "Why you shootin' like a f***ot, your p***y sore?".

You're an *******.

Interesting call in my adult league championship game last night. I fed the puck to a teammate down low, who deked backhand and just missed wide of the post. Another teammate retrieved the puck behind the goal line and quickly tried to bring it up and stuff it in, but he can't quite reach around before the defense collapses and the net ends up coming off.

We regroup for the faceoff and see the other team arguing with the refs. Apparently one of the refs invoked some weird rule and awarded us a goal claiming that we would have scored had the net not been knocked off. I certainly didn't complain.

cavs

Nov 15, 2007
I once received a 2 minite penalty for cross checking plus an additional 2 minutes for doing it.... Thats what the ref told me my coach and then time keeper...

Same ref gave me a penalty for rolling my eyes in a different game. This was when i played midegets for the bridgewater bears.

cavs

Nov 15, 2007
remembered another good one, i once tried giving a kid the middle finger with my glove on, the ref gave me 10 minutes. He told me he gave me two minutes for every finger i put up...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Another Problem

Up until the end of the 2006-07 youth hockey season a common problem in the Montreal region was that certain referees would call trivial or phantom penalties late in tied tournament games to avoid going into overtime since they would not get paid extra but had to work longer.

Anyone have similar experiences elsewhere.

PEI Hockey

Feb 11, 2008
Charlottetown, PEI
Up until the end of the 2006-07 youth hockey season a common problem in the Montreal region was that certain referees would call trivial or phantom penalties late in tied tournament games to avoid going into overtime since they would not get paid extra but had to work longer.

Anyone have similar experiences elsewhere.

I am ref in Charlottetown, PEI (Atlantic Canada) and some referees will claim to do this, but none ever do. Unlike Montreal though, we get paid overtime bonuses.

Since I don't play hockey, I will just have to post the worst calls I have ever made.

Worst-Pee Wee AAA game in Sherwood when I was on the lines. The benches are inside the blue lines so Charlottetown is breaking up ice towards their own end. They dump the puck in so I wave it but then notice that 3 Charlottetown players jumped off the bench way early and are going deep for the puck. I can't blow down the play now so the Abbies are cycling the puck and eventually score the game winning goal.
My supervisor was in the stands so I just admitted I blew the call and ended up getting selected to the Provincial Gold Medal Game and getting selected to the Atlantic Championships in Pownal.

At the moment I can't think of many horrible calls I have made.

On another note, another ref I worked with dropped the ball on one. It was a Midget AAA game with a female linesman. A guy from Mid-Isle was dicking around so the girl grabbed him and was leading him away until the guy says "Get your hands off me you ******* *****." The ref didn't even kick the guy out despite protests from both the linesman.

Last edited:

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Funniest call was in one of my first games. I come in off the wall into the point and shoot. It bounces off a teammates stick and in the air. The opposing player reached up to pull it out of the air and i got caught in his glove. Two minutes delay of game.

Worst call. Teammate of mine get drilled right in front of our bench. The Kids visor slid down and cut him on the bridge of his nose. Our player gets 4 minutes for high sticking. I immediately jump up and start going off. Mainly do to the fact that my player didn't have a stick at that time. I got "removed" from the game. I use that term loosely.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Is there such a thing?

A terrible call against the other team???

Yes, I was in a HS tournament and the other team actually started getting mad at the refs for the amount of calls my team was getting. We played 4 on 3 the whole game (my team having 3), and that's not exaggerating. It was BRUTAL. Even the other teams players would be like uhh shouldn't I be getting the penalty? Yeah it was bad. Out of 17 skaters we had 9 guys left on the bench by the end of the game. We even had their coach argue a call AGAINST MY TEAM, as stupid as that sounds it's true, by that time we had one assistant and trainer left on the bench. I got a 10 minute unsportsmanlike call for telling the ref he's not going to the NHL with officiating during this game.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
-Worst Call: Player skates in on a 1-on-goalie breakaway, and shoots the puck at me from about 30 feet. I go into the butterfly position and trap it in between my legs in the middle of the crease and put my glove over it to cover it up. About a second and a half later, the forward comes in (with no other defenesman within 3 strides of him), makes no effort to go around me, and full-stride bodychecks me into the back of my net. His knee makes contact with my head, snapping my neck back, and the force of the collision drives both of us into the goal, knocks the net about 4 feet backward, and my head crunches against the bar in the middle of the net. I laid hurt on the ice with my bell rung, and after about 3-4 minutes, I get my wind and senses back and start fixing up my crease.

As I'm skating a few strides to recover, I recognize that not only was there no penalty for goalie interference, but they awarded the goal on the play because the puck went with me into the net. Cost me the shutout, but we won 2-1.

I have never been that furious on the ice before or since. After the game I just snapped. I got undressed as fast as I could, waited outseide for the ref, and chased him into the parking lot before getting restrained by my teammates as if HE had been the one who hit me.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I once got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for clearing a stick out of my goalies crease. It was lying there in the crease, so with my stick, I push it like three feet away, and the ref gave me a penalty for it...

PEI Hockey

Feb 11, 2008
Charlottetown, PEI
I once got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for clearing a stick out of my goalies crease. It was lying there in the crease, so with my stick, I push it like three feet away, and the ref gave me a penalty for it...

The only reasons I can see for this penalty are that you shot the stick at the puck carrier or the owner of the stick was close by trying to retrieve the stick.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Not many bad calls happened on me except once. I was skating back after my team turned the puck over. I had my stick in the air and the kid with the puck lost his edge and fell...of course I got a tripping penalty for skating behind him...

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
The only one I can think of (ironically enough which I don't remember that well) is when I got my first concussion. Something hit me off my feet, and I landed on my back and my head snapped back and caught the ice. Apparently that "something" was an incredibly high elbow.

My point, there was no penalty called, even though when me and the guy came in for the puck, he had his elbow up.

lemieux32*

The only reasons I can see for this penalty are that you shot the stick at the puck carrier or the owner of the stick was close by trying to retrieve the stick.

I was tied up with a guy at the side of our crease when he lost his stick. The puck went behind the net and he did not even try to get his stick, instead going behind the net after the puck. I clear the stick to the corner to get it out of the crease (and away from the play) and the ref calls me for it and tells me that I didn't let him get his stick...the guy never tried to get it!

Another one was when I hooked a guy around the waist and the ref (not the usual guys but a guy who was calling the game like the first year after the lockout...any touch was called) signals and whistles after we touch the puck, I head to the box knowing I hooked the guy, sit down and hear the ref tell the scorekeeper that it was high sticking!

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
-Worst Call: Player skates in on a 1-on-goalie breakaway, and shoots the puck at me from about 30 feet. I go into the butterfly position and trap it in between my legs in the middle of the crease and put my glove over it to cover it up. About a second and a half later, the forward comes in (with no other defenesman within 3 strides of him), makes no effort to go around me, and full-stride bodychecks me into the back of my net. His knee makes contact with my head, snapping my neck back, and the force of the collision drives both of us into the goal, knocks the net about 4 feet backward, and my head crunches against the bar in the middle of the net. I laid hurt on the ice with my bell rung, and after about 3-4 minutes, I get my wind and senses back and start fixing up my crease.

As I'm skating a few strides to recover, I recognize that not only was there no penalty for goalie interference, but they awarded the goal on the play because the puck went with me into the net. Cost me the shutout, but we won 2-1.

I have never been that furious on the ice before or since. After the game I just snapped. I got undressed as fast as I could, waited outseide for the ref, and chased him into the parking lot before getting restrained by my teammates as if HE had been the one who hit me.

I think you had a right to chase down the ref. By that point, he was inconsiderate about your safety in a position where he's supposed to protect players from things like that. In a way, he was the one that hit you.

The guy that hit you, how did he react? I've run into goalies before, never intentional, and usually when we're lying there in that awkward pile I usually get out a "my bad" or "sorry bout that."

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I was once chasing down a puck for a breakaway and the opposing player was racing me for it, but clearly a few steps behind me. He sprawled out in an nhl 08 style penguin dive, tripping me before and getting no where near the puck in the process. No penalty. The ref's explanation: "I didn't think you were going to get to the puck before the goalie". Remember kids, you're allowed to trip someone if they are going to lose a puck race anyways!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad