Fun YouTube video: Why The New York Rangers Will Soon Dominate The NHL

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The reason why teams want to tank and get that top pick is to get a top 5 player in the game. To get a top 10 player in the game. To get a top 5 positional player in the game.

If you get any one of those assets, and you get a couple of them on a team, you can contend. Out of all of the teams that tanked and got multiple top picks. The only one that did it right, but has yet to win is the TBL with Stamkos and Hedman.

Sid & Geno
Doughty & Kopitar
Kane & Toews
Ovechkin & Backstrom

Do the Rangers have that with Bread and Zibs? - They just got those assets through free agency and trades.

I think they do. If Kakko becomes a 30-30 guy who is a match-up nightmare every game, Chytil keeps taking steps the next 2-3 years.

The defense rounds into form, you have a very young defense that can play with more on the way.

Oh and Shesty. There's a guy who can be a Vezina caliber goalie the next game he plays. Georgie. Benny. Others to come.

This is one of the reasons I was so pumped up after the Skjei trade. Got a first, kept Kreider, cleared up space for DeAngelo and you still end up with a better team.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Trouba is still only what, 26? I don't see him improving by leaps and bounds, but I'm going to remain hopeful that he can continue to progress (even if it's incrementally). With that said, if another team fancies him you consider it.

He will need to improve if he wants to hang around for any amount of time here as NY fans will quickly scapegoat him ala a multitude of underperforming/enigmatic defensemen that came before him (if they haven't already). One thing he does bring even when his defense is suspect is a level of physicality unseen in any of our other d-men. Not sure any of our D prospects will be able to replicate that

Edit: Lindgren has evolved in a pretty physical player but we can't have just one and he isn't as imposing as Trouba
He doesn't need to improve; he just needs to find his form again.

Not playing with Skjei any longer will help immensely.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He doesn't need to improve; he just needs to find his form again.

Not playing with Skjei any longer will help immensely.

Yeah Trouba needs a smart crafty player on his left side that keeps Trouba in formation. The Morrisey-Trouba pair was the only one I saw that could effectively shutdown McDavid as a pairing, and not a five man unit. It was impressive to watch.

But the reason why they were effective was because you had a guy like Morrisey who was just positionally sound, and thought the game so well, that the puck battles or plays were doing to happen in the periphery. In other words, Trouba read well off of Morrisey, and engaged when needed, and Morrisey knew Trouba's game and supported him by getting to being an outlet pass that was a faster more controlled play.

Those two were really good in front of the net. The Jets play more of your classic zone. So fewer switches in the D-Zone.

The Jones-Trouba pair during the WJC was also dominant. They were fun to watch. I think a guy like Key does well as a partner for Trouba. Both guys can be Wild Broncos out there, but if they keep each other in check, and back each other up, that is a pair that can cover a lot of ice, and win corner battles.

The challenge for both guys is to become better at picking their spots, and being the quicker easier outlet. If they throw some big hits, and drop the gloves here and there, you have a pretty snarly defense core with Key, Trouba, Lindy, and DeAngelo. The latter three aren't afraid to drop the gloves.

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I’m a former rangers fan, I remember watching the ‘94 cup run, and then became a Sabre’s fan...Well after what the Pegula’s did what they did...I’m looking for a new team to root for. Thinking of the Rangers. Just wondering if I become a Rangers fan, should I expect anything as disgusting from the ownership?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
As long as we don’t completely whiff on our top 10 picks we will have a bright future. Lias looks like a whiff, Kakko I believe will be fine although will take longer to blossom than originally hoped. It all rests on Kravtsov. If he doesn’t pan out that would be awful.

Reactions: bl02

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I’m a former rangers fan, I remember watching the ‘94 cup run, and then became a Sabre’s fan...Well after what the Pegula’s did what they did...I’m looking for a new team to root for. Thinking of the Rangers. Just wondering if I become a Rangers fan, should I expect anything as disgusting from the ownership?
No. Dolan's issues are with the Knicks. He meddles, although he did leave it up to the front office and it didn't pan out. With the NYR, Sather keeps him grounded and is always providing him updates. He lets the front office run the team, and luckily, the guys they have run it know what they're doing.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
As long as we don’t completely whiff on our top 10 picks we will have a bright future. Lias looks like a whiff, Kakko I believe will be fine although will take longer to blossom than originally hoped. It all rests on Kravtsov. If he doesn’t pan out that would be awful.

yep! I hope they are patient with Kravtsov and vice versa. They can’t whiff on another top 10 pick. He’s not ready for top 6 or even top 9 nhl action right now. I’m happy K’Andre and Nils don’t seem to be being rushed. And for our two top picks this year I hope the same. In 2-3 years things really come together. This year is icing on the cake and some good experience for the younger players.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
yep! I hope they are patient with Kravtsov and vice versa. They can’t whiff on another top 10 pick. He’s not ready for top 6 or even top 9 nhl action right now. I’m happy K’Andre and Nils don’t seem to be being rushed. And for our two top picks this year I hope the same. In 2-3 years things really come together. This year is icing on the cake and some good experience for the younger players.

Yeah, rushing a 19 year old Russian over to NA was questionable and it proved to be the wrong decision. It almost couldn't have gone worse. Theres a reason these guys marinate in the K longer. And since the team completely refuses to draft North Americans (especially Canadians) they need to realize this and change their approach.

Reactions: bl02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Please, I can only handle one of my teams dominating a sport at a time. We wouldn't want me to get a big head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad