Fun YouTube video: Why The New York Rangers Will Soon Dominate The NHL

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
When you have this many young players though? You can't count on them all to step in and play great D.

It got MUCH better as the season went on though (they were night and day from where they were in November.) Improvements still need to come, but those things will really have to be driven by growth of the guys who are already here (both on F and D) and the obvious addition by subtraction that is 5 seasons overdue.

I'm not arguing against that. I'm only saying that out of the young guys we do have AND the vets, our F are not cutting it in the d zone and N zone.

Separately it's fair to wonder if it's actually coaching and system but I just dint know nearly enough to be definitive.

I default to assuming it's just the amount of youth and that they're close to figuring it out

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Shesty, Trouba and Kakko is the type of package you'd expect after McDavid has demanded a trade to the Rangers (and only the Rangers) and refused to report to the Oilers for about 2-3 seasons.
I do that in an instant.

McDavid is just that good. None of those three are likely to even sniff his level. I'd try to hold Igor but at least we have geo

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Shesterkin is a different breed. The numbers back it up. Watching him confirms it. McDavid and EDM haven't exactly done anything since they drafted him. I'd love to have McDavid for literally anything other than the goalie. Gutting the roster for one player in a sport where it's tougher to win than say in the NBA with one player isn't ideal. Let's just wait until Eichel or McDavid get tired of losing, and then we can swoop in and let Davidson and Gorton work their magic.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
When you have this many young players though? You can't count on them all to step in and play great D.

It got MUCH better as the season went on though (they were night and day from where they were in November.) Improvements still need to come, but those things will really have to be driven by growth of the guys who are already here (both on F and D) and the obvious addition by subtraction that is 5 seasons overdue.
They really were THAT much better. NARY a guy open in the slot, whereas earlier, seemed every game and at least 3 per game. So, it seemed like they were "getting it" and progressing, opposed to players being accused of being lazy. It never was about being lazy or selfish.....just took time.
Shame they couldn't continue that process due to, well u know. Even that little losing streak before halted play, we LOST to really good teams, but never getting blown out. Which says a lot. Also, how about what seemed to be at least 3 or 4 comeback wins, down 2, 3 and even 4 goals? Never say die attitude has EVERYTHING to do with the coaching, a good system and the will to win and not ever get embarrassed. Again, what a shame this pause, as it's been quite the exciting season in which we weren't even supposed to "sniff" a PO spot, and they were sniffing HARD, similar to a dog tracking an intruder on their property.

Reactions: Anthony5967

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'd like to add that we have great role-models to rub off on our young guys.

Like if Chytil can up his game, to be Ziba 2.0 eventually. Chytil lacks the shot imo to ever really get there, but you get the idea.

Same for Panarin and Kreider. Hank already kinda created Shesty.

I think the bottom-6 and D-situation will eventually resolve itself from within the system in two years, if we are patient.

We should aim for three 1st lines and one grinder line ... and we're actually very close to this.

Are we keeping Trouba, Fox and ADA? If not there are deals to be made which can bolster the LD and/or the middle six.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Agreed. I don't mention that obviously the money/return has to be right.
Skejikspeare had a really good point about that "player that hates losing".
Hank has been that guy for years, but a goaltender cannot turn on his team as that can backfire......ala a coach.

Zbad seems to hate losing in his interviews......hope that he turns out to be that "player", his leadership on the ice takes care of itself........
And everyone knows I've been advocating Kreids as next Captain, again, either one will be fine with me. But I want what "skejikpeare" wants.

I don't think anyone on the team enjoys losing or is even okay with it.

You don't need one guy to bring that mindset though. That needs to be bred internally and the one thing I disagree with is that the last contenting squad was okay with losing or lacked a killer instinct... That group had mental toughness in spades, what they lacked was the talent to really push them over the top. This current group has it right now and hopefully those guys are still performing at that level when some of the other players catch up. I think that locker room mindset you're talking about has grown a ton this year, this group legit started to not only play well but didn't become unhinged anytime something went wrong. They've come a long way in "un-AV'ing" themselves which is a great thing.

Reactions: Mikos87

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Are we keeping Trouba, Fox and ADA? If not there are deals to be made which can bolster the LD and/or the middle six.

Yeah we are, regardless of deals to be made. I wouldn't mind starting 4 RHD if needed. Hang on to what we have as of now and be patient. My thinking at least.

Middle six is no concern of mine, we are almost set at the top 9 already. All we need is some centermen making Strome expendable. There is your trade chip btw.
I'm certain we can fit Strome short term and ADA longish term with one Staal buyout.

As for LD, I'm looking at Robertson, Miller, Lindgren like ... we good mofos, we good. Just. Effing. Wait. For. It.

I don't think we have enough talent for 3 top lines.

fiiine

1A
1B
2nd
3rd

This can be achieved, if our prospects pan out.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Ideally I want Chytil on the 2nd line, so no thanks to trading for another top-6 center. Specially not, when we have Zibs, who we basically stole from Ottawa.

Can't commit such a robbery and waste it by being robbed yourself. Which is the inevitable outcome, if the FO should dare to go that way.
(Which they sure af won't, thank the spaghetti monster)

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I'd go Kakko, pick 23 and Miller. Eichel and Zib down the middle, you'd have to send Strome's rights elsewhere or include him in the expanded Buffalo deal. Buffalo probably asks for pick 13-14, not 23, though. It's tough, but you have Panarin and Zib, and we both saw how impactful they were on our season. Imagine adding a third stud? Hell of a three-headed monster, backstopped by Shesterkin and a d consisting of Fox, DeAngelo, Trouba, Lindgren, Lundkvist on the way, etc.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd go Kakko, pick 23 and Miller. Eichel and Zib down the middle, you'd have to send Strome's rights elsewhere or include him in the expanded Buffalo deal. Buffalo probably asks for pick 13-14, not 23, though. It's tough, but you have Panarin and Zib, and we both saw how impactful they were on our season. Imagine adding a third stud? Hell of a three-headed monster, backstopped by Shesterkin and a d consisting of Fox, DeAngelo, Trouba, Lindgren, Lundkvist on the way, etc.

How long do you expect to keep that team together when you are paying nearly 22 mil for 2 forwards? If Zib keeps producing like he did this year, he's going to get 10+ mil. Trouba already makes 8 mil. DeAngelo is going to get a significant raise, likely followed by Fox and Shesterkin in the next couple years.

We need to improve our depth, rather than spending depth to become even more top-heavy.

Reactions: egelband

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
How long do you expect to keep that team together when you are paying nearly 22 mil for 2 forwards? If Zib keeps producing like he did this year, he's going to get 10+ mil. Trouba already makes 8 mil. DeAngelo is going to get a significant raise, likely followed by Fox and Shesterkin in the next couple years.

We need to improve our depth, rather than spending depth to become even more top-heavy.
We're already the most top-heavy team in the league, getting more top-end talent on full value contracts is the opposite of what we should be doing.

When two or more of Panarin, Zibanejad, DeAngelo and Fox are on the ice we are perhaps the best team in the league. When none of them are we are worse than Detroit.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
the test for the Rangers is and will be and has always been how they handle the salary cap. A huge part of the rebuild is getting out from under a deluge of terrible deals. Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Girardi are all still on the books.
Shattenkirk's deal wasn't even bad. He took a discount to come to NY, and is a good player who came with poor timing and bad luck. Because of that, he couldn't get his footing here.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
We're already the most top-heavy team in the league, getting more top-end talent on full value contracts is the opposite of what we should be doing.

When two or more of Panarin, Zibanejad, DeAngelo and Fox are on the ice we are perhaps the best team in the league. When none of them are we are worse than Detroit.

Defensively we're the worst, more than Detroit period. There lies the issue. Need defensively stout forward. Need defenseman who can defend not named Fox.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Defensively we're the worst, more than Detroit period. There lies the issue. Need defensively stout forward. Need defenseman who can defend not named Fox.
The main issue is the bottom-6 and to a lesser extent LD. Rarely did our top-6 get outplayed as a whole and they almost outscored the opposition 2-1 5v5 IIRC, but our bottom-6 was outscored 1-3 and almost as badly outshot.

Staal might have been the worst defenceman in the league last year, but when carried by DeAngelo the results were at least serviceable. When one of the bottom-6 lines were on the ice there was no saving us no matter the defencemen we put out there.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
The main issue is the bottom-6 and to a lesser extent LD. Rarely did our top-6 get outplayed as a whole and they almost outscored the opposition 2-1 5v5 IIRC, but our bottom-6 was outscored 1-3 and almost as badly outshot.

Staal might have been the worst defenceman in the league last year, but when carried by DeAngelo the results were at least serviceable. When one of the bottom-6 lines were on the ice there was no saving us no matter the defencemen we put out there.

As much as I love Kakko's potential, it's easy to see how much of an anchor he was this season. Then you pile on Howden and a mixture of guys who are very low impact or inconsistent like Lemieux/Chytil/McKegg and there's definitely lacking stability in that bottom 6. I like Gauthier and PDG but Gauthier seems more like a guy who should play in a top 6 long term IMO. Fast being in the bottom 6 would be more ideal(if NYR re-sign him, which they absolutely should).

We could use some second comings of the Dominic Moore's/Brian Boyle's/Carl Hagelin's on this team right about now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

MUST move Trouba, this is only window we can.
Should try not be pricks about it.
Chose here, not we will be screwed w/him at almost 10% of cap.
Try to send him to DET even if mostly cap relief.
If not there, place that might be comfortable.

Breadman came here despite mo $ elsewhere
We already were brutal w/Shattenkirk when we should have moved or bought out both Staal + Smtih
Gotta be extra kid gloves diplomatic about it, but end of the day he HAS to GO.

Fox is a keeper
I'd sell high on Deangelo if enuf on the table, but if Trouba gone, can hold Dea to move later.

Nils L says hi.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I’m thinking this is probably the correct way forward. Rangers can not afford any more big contract players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
MUST move Trouba, this is only window we can.
Should try not be pricks about it.
Chose here, not we will be screwed w/him at almost 10% of cap.
Try to send him to DET even if mostly cap relief.
If not there, place that might be comfortable.

Breadman came here despite mo $ elsewhere
We already were brutal w/Shattenkirk when we should have moved or bought out both Staal + Smtih
Gotta be extra kid gloves diplomatic about it, but end of the day he HAS to GO.

Fox is a keeper
I'd sell high on Deangelo if enuf on the table, but if Trouba gone, can hold Dea to move later.

Nils L says hi.

Seriously doubt the Rangers are going to move Trouba and FWIW I much prefer Trouba to Shattenkirk. Shattenkirk did have a good year in Tampa but that's partly due to the team around him.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Trouba is still only what, 26? I don't see him improving by leaps and bounds, but I'm going to remain hopeful that he can continue to progress (even if it's incrementally). With that said, if another team fancies him you consider it.

He will need to improve if he wants to hang around for any amount of time here as NY fans will quickly scapegoat him ala a multitude of underperforming/enigmatic defensemen that came before him (if they haven't already). One thing he does bring even when his defense is suspect is a level of physicality unseen in any of our other d-men. Not sure any of our D prospects will be able to replicate that

Edit: Lindgren has evolved in a pretty physical player but we can't have just one and he isn't as imposing as Trouba

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Seriously doubt the Rangers are going to move Trouba and FWIW I much prefer Trouba to Shattenkirk. Shattenkirk did have a good year in Tampa but that's partly due to the team around him.

Agree prefer Trouba to Shat, but the ref to Shat was we should have kept him instead of Staal + Smith.

JT is ballpark worth his 8m in vacuum, but not worth almost 10% of team cap.
THAT is reality.
If we surrender control and accept him w/NMC we wind up at his mercy, Staal/Girardi 2.0, and we just can't allow that. MUST use this escape clause now while we have the option, not available later.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trouba is still only what, 26? I don't see him improving by leaps and bounds, but I'm going to remain hopeful that he can continue to progress (even if it's incrementally). With that said, if another team fancies him you consider it.

He will need to improve if he wants to hang around for any amount of time here as NY fans will quickly scapegoat him ala a multitude of underperforming/enigmatic defensemen that came before him (if they haven't already). One thing he does bring even when his defense is suspect is a level of physicality unseen in any of our other d-men. Not sure any of our D prospects will be able to replicate that

Edit: Lindgren has evolved in a pretty physical player but we can't have just one and he isn't as imposing as Trouba

No prob w/any of this and I too appreciate the phyciality he brings. What is unacceptable is how this will shackle our flexibility on cap for shaping the roster in the future.

Also, if we accept NMC, we MUST protect him in exp dr, no choice.

Choice always > than no choice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad