Fun YouTube video: Why The New York Rangers Will Soon Dominate The NHL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Really glad it's not by one of the utterly obnoxious commentators on YT

OhNyquist's stuff is quality. It's not crazy in depth or anything, but I prefer him 1000000000000x over someone like THG.

The Rangers check most of the boxes already with a large supply of prospects who can either step in to fill some of the areas where they are deficient or to be traded for those players. I disagree with him on the strength of the supporting cast, thats a weakness for this team but the high end guys are harder to find, we have those.

The bottom 6 and LD are areas that need drastic improvement. Removing Staal would improve the defense alone. I'd love to see Nils and K'Andre tear up the A for half a season and then settle into a 3rd pair role with the Rangers but thats asking way too much.

I'd like another big physical, 12-15 goal guy for the middle 6 as well.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Rangers need bottom 6 and LD. LD is the biggest concern. I feel like our D is what hurt us the most this season. Bottom 6 are dime a dozen, though sometimes it's finding the specific right bottom 6 guy. Finally we have a bona fide superstar in Panarin, and Mika is emerging to become a second superstar potential kind of guy. Igor looks like he can be one of the best in the game and our RD is pretty loaded

The Rangers are close, but their D needs a significant upgrade more than anything.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I'd like to add that we have great role-models to rub off on our young guys.

Like if Chytil can up his game, to be Ziba 2.0 eventually. Chytil lacks the shot imo to ever really get there, but you get the idea.

Same for Panarin and Kreider. Hank already kinda created Shesty.

I think the bottom-6 and D-situation will eventually resolve itself from within the system in two years, if we are patient.

We should aim for three 1st lines and one grinder line ... and we're actually very close to this.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
the test for the Rangers is and will be and has always been how they handle the salary cap. A huge part of the rebuild is getting out from under a deluge of terrible deals. Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Girardi are all still on the books.

Reactions: egelband

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
the test for the Rangers is and will be and has always been how they handle the salary cap. A huge part of the rebuild is getting out from under a deluge of terrible deals. Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Girardi are all still on the books.

Good news is they come off the books soon. Bad news is we then need to resign Mika who is priority #1, which will be a huge jump from what he’s making now assuming he doesn’t have a massive drop off after this season’s explosion.

But the Rangers are getting $13mm free with Honk and Stall’s contracts ending, assuming they don’t buy either out. Shittingkirk’s dead cap goes way down after 20-21. But then you gotta start looking at Kakka and TDA likely gets extended for huge money. It really depends on how the salary cap looks over the next couple seasons. Cap starts looking way more manageable after 20-21.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Good news is they come off the books soon. Bad news is we then need to resign Mika who is priority #1, which will be a huge jump from what he’s making now assuming he doesn’t have a massive drop off after this season’s explosion.

But the Rangers are getting $13mm free with Honk and Stall’s contracts ending, assuming they don’t buy either out. Shittingkirk’s dead cap goes way down after 20-21. But then you gotta start looking at Kakka and TDA likely gets extended for huge money. It really depends on how the salary cap looks over the next couple seasons. Cap starts looking way more manageable after 20-21.

I'm not worried about great players getting paid. The problem arises when shitty players get paid like has been the case for too long.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I'm not worried about great players getting paid. The problem arises when shitty players get paid like has been the case for too long.
Agreed, I remember my Canucks fan uncle telling me Panarin's contract was a huge overpay and I showed him the Canucks capfriendly and showed him they have 26 million locked up in Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers & Sutter :laugh: Death by a thousand paper cuts is usually how cap kills you

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
OhNyquist's stuff is quality. It's not crazy in depth or anything, but I prefer him 1000000000000x over someone like THG.

The Rangers check most of the boxes already with a large supply of prospects who can either step in to fill some of the areas where they are deficient or to be traded for those players. I disagree with him on the strength of the supporting cast, thats a weakness for this team but the high end guys are harder to find, we have those.

The bottom 6 and LD are areas that need drastic improvement. Removing Staal would improve the defense alone. I'd love to see Nils and K'Andre tear up the A for half a season and then settle into a 3rd pair role with the Rangers but thats asking way too much.

I'd like another big physical, 12-15 goal guy for the middle 6 as well.

Might not be big, but I have a name. Joe Pavelski.
On 3rd line, brings scoring.......PP guy should improve that......and great leadership as well.
For a couple of years mind you.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's a nice video and good to be positive. The last core of Rangers ended up being pretty darn good. I believe this group will be good and even very good, but before we start anointing them a reincarnation of the mid-late 70s Canadians, quite a few things have to happen. And you want to know what those are? Well here we go.

1. Health: Always the most important thing. Rangers have a healthy Ratelle in 72, Davidson in 81, Leetch in 90, half the team in 97, and Zuc in 15...they have at least 1-3 more Cups.

2. Defensive system change: Ruff has to go is cliche' by this point but this team isn't going anywhere until they stop having goalies peppered by 46-50 shots and 100 shot attempts every night. We've seen how ugly it can get if Igor isn't Superman or Georgiev went through one of his average spells.

3. Settling down Trouba: I think Smith (who everyone knows I really dislike) did a fine job as a stopgap partner for Trouba but he needs a stable longterm one. He's now free of his bff Skjeikspeare who for whatever reason became a low IQ player. Would TDA work? Maybe for next year. K. Miller is physically and attribute wise a good fit but he's not going to play 22-25 minutes a night against the best in the world next season. That's not fair to him. Maybe Nils Lundkvist can switch to his offside, or here's a name to keep an eye on...Tarmo Raunannen?

4. Managing the cap better-We all know Sather put himself in a corner when some of the guys he got rid of like Hagelin, Stralman were the wrong ones to go. Every team has to pick the right guys to trade and get the right value for them.

5. Mid-late round draft pick Home Run-Every team that wins the Cup has a player from the mid-late rounds as a major contributor or a star. Look at the Penguins with Letang. Parayko with the Blues. The last time the Rangers won the Cup, they had a 5th rounder they got as comp for letting LaFleur go to Quebec lead them in scoring and be in on every important play in Sergei Zubov.

6. Effective bottom sixer-The Rangers need some jack of all trades bottom six players who can move up and down the lineup and have defined roles plus pop in some offense here and there. All championship teams have it. Lemeiux and Gauthier are good starts. Is Howden a longterm answer? Will Barron be one of those guys who is a third liner because of depth but plays like a second liner?

7. More Physicality-Mike Keenan had a point. You can't be the Broad Street Bullies anymore and you don't have to be, but the need some gritty players to do the dirty work, provide energy, and set the tone. This doesn't mean trade you skilled guys for third liners but have guys in the lineup who can add that element and play.

8. Veteran Leadership/Different Type of Personalities In The Room-This team needs a Cup winner brought in. It doesn't even have to be a big name or a well known guy. Look what Fedotenko did for the last group. They also need (and I know this is a controversial and "dangerous" term) an alpha male in the room. Someone to stir the pot who hates losing, who leads by example. This team doesn't have one yet. The last group never did.

And finally........

9. The Clutch Gene-The reason the last group of Rangers got close but never won the Cup is they didn't have the clutch gene. Every series other than 2015 Round 1 vs. Pittsburgh was a drawn out agonizing six or seven game saga. Yes they won a lot of those, but they had no killer instinct. This group needs to hate their opponents and clothesline them. Also, how many guys on that squad became better performers in the playoffs? Not many. This group needs to manage themselves for the Marathon of the NHL playoffs and save their best for the Tournament.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
speaking of fun on youtube...this just popped up as a recommendation

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Besides the D position the level of d and hustle we get from F isn't good enough either. Potentially it's a scheme and coaching issue.

It's easy to point to youth as the sole issue but I don't buy it.

Young players can play great D. We just have a lot of young and vet players who dont

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
terrible job by sportsnet editing the highlights of that game 6. I don't think they showed a single save richter made in the game while nj dominated and he stood on his head to hold us in....total misrepresentation of the game and disrepect to #35

Last edited:
Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Besides the D position the level of d and hustle we get from F isn't good enough either. Potentially it's a scheme and coaching issue.

It's easy to point to youth as the sole issue but I don't buy it.

Young players can play great D. We just have a lot of young and vet players who dont

When you have this many young players though? You can't count on them all to step in and play great D.

It got MUCH better as the season went on though (they were night and day from where they were in November.) Improvements still need to come, but those things will really have to be driven by growth of the guys who are already here (both on F and D) and the obvious addition by subtraction that is 5 seasons overdue.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Might not be big, but I have a name. Joe Pavelski.
On 3rd line, brings scoring.......PP guy should improve that......and great leadership as well.
For a couple of years mind you.

Pavelski turns 36 in a couple months and has 2 years left on his current contract @ a 7 mil cap hit. He's also coming off a year in which he scored 31 points in 67 games. If he were a UFA and would sign for cheap, I'd be interested, but he isn't worth whatever Dallas might want for him.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I saw this one yesterday on Apple TV. It was nice to see. I then discovered “the hockey guy” and watched like 20 of his videos. He’s got cats chilling in them lol.

clicked on another which listed McDavid trade possibilities to 5 eastern teams. The deal to us would be a tough pill to swallow.

it was

Oilers - Igor Shestorkin, Jacob Trouba & Kappo Kakko

Rangers - McDavid

I have a hard time giving that up for anyone not named Gretzky, Orr or Lemieux.

I’d say Edmonton would say no and if they “had” to trade McDavid I’d say it would be more like

Mac for Shestorkin, Fox, Kravtsov, Kakko, Andersson, Chytil, Miller and 2021, 2023 & and 2025 non protected first rounders, 50 million under the table, 5 private jets and a PH apartment at 15 Central Park South (it only goes for 65 mill)

Reactions: Kendo

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Last year was a MASSIVE jump between Kakko and Panarin. Before that, it was alright lets hope we draft some solid prospects in the top 14 and hope we get a solid player. I NEVER speak positive about the entire team, but man I've stated before I get MAJOR cup vibes from this era of NY Rangers. To me Kakko at least needs to be a 20-25 goal scorer 50-60 ppg year player (I expect him to be around 70-90 in his prime), once his NA game develops he will be dynamic with Mika and Panarin. All we really need is to develop a similar defense to our early 2010's, and we'll become THE team of the NHL. If thats the case I can see the end of the this era bringing in not just one cup, but two, depending on how guys like Nils, K'Andre, Kakko, and Igor develop, they can become a sure fire dynasty.

It's fun watching the beginning of something so promising. BUT we all know how quickly things can fall apart, and well, look how hard it took Ovi to win a cup.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Pavelski turns 36 in a couple months and has 2 years left on his current contract @ a 7 mil cap hit. He's also coming off a year in which he scored 31 points in 67 games. If he were a UFA and would sign for cheap, I'd be interested, but he isn't worth whatever Dallas might want for him.
Agreed. I don't mention that obviously the money/return has to be right.
Skejikspeare had a really good point about that "player that hates losing".
Hank has been that guy for years, but a goaltender cannot turn on his team as that can backfire......ala a coach.

Zbad seems to hate losing in his interviews......hope that he turns out to be that "player", his leadership on the ice takes care of itself........
And everyone knows I've been advocating Kreids as next Captain, again, either one will be fine with me. But I want what "skejikpeare" wants.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I saw this one yesterday on Apple TV. It was nice to see. I then discovered “the hockey guy” and watched like 20 of his videos. He’s got cats chilling in them lol.

clicked on another which listed McDavid trade possibilities to 5 eastern teams. The deal to us would be a tough pill to swallow.

it was

Oilers - Igor Shestorkin, Jacob Trouba & Kappo Kakko

Rangers - McDavid

I have a hard time giving that up for anyone not named Gretzky, Orr or Lemieux.

I’d say Edmonton would say no and if they “had” to trade McDavid I’d say it would be more like

Mac for Shestorkin, Fox, Kravtsov, Kakko, Andersson, Chytil, Miller and 2021, 2023 & and 2025 non protected first rounders, 50 million under the table, 5 private jets and a PH apartment at 15 Central Park South (it only goes for 65 mill)
Shesty, Trouba and Kakko is the type of package you'd expect after McDavid has demanded a trade to the Rangers (and only the Rangers) and refused to report to the Oilers for about 2-3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad