Fun question. If you were to rebuild, who do you keep? who do you trade?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't want my core players to be swiss cheese soft. Sorry. I like Kessel but I don't see him or Phaneuf as being core of a cup winning team.

They are very good players that can be complementary, but not cup winning core material.

Little wheels with a cannon is great to have. You need a Few little Kessls out there obviously not three his caliber but similar types. They throw the balance off on a team of PF and add that deceptive factor. If its a team of pure PF they are more predictable although tough to play against, I like the added dynamic of a SN on a line. The Brett Hull factor

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
JVR Staal Kessel
JVR Staal Kessel
JVR Bolland Kessel
D'Amigo Bolland Ashton

Looks funny, the point is to illustrate an ideal template.

PF PF SN
PF PF SN
PF PF SN
PF PF PF

3 lines the same but different is the the combination I like. You want big bodies up the middle with skill, you want a sniper and another PF to cycle with your C, the SN job here is to find his spot, wings and c to establish zone pressure, cycle and battle.

thank god you are not running the team, if I had to watch Jordan Staal on this team I would break my TV. Talk about the most over rated player in hockey, well maybe Eric Staal has that title, but he is top 3 for sure.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'd keep one of the two present goalies (I prefer Reimer but it's pretty obvious they are keeping Bernier), Phaneuf (future #2 or #3 guy),Reilly,Gardiner,Gunnarsson (future #5 or #6 guy),Kessel, JVR,Bolland, Kadri, D'Amigo...Possibles...Kulemin, Holland, Trade for grittier, hard working players>Lupul, Bozak, Clarkson (if possible), McClement, Raymond, Franson, Reimer (unfortunately).As a collective group the "tradeables" are replaceable but some of them could be valuable to a contending team in need of a specific skill, i.e Franson on the Powerplay, Lupul in a top 6 role etc.I like Lupul but we need to change the make up of the team. We need players of the ilk of Andrew Ladd, #17 for Philly (drawing a blank on his name), Nolan (L.A.), if not these specific players, then players of this type.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
thank god you are not running the team, if I had to watch Jordan Staal on this team I would break my TV. Talk about the most over rated player in hockey, well maybe Eric Staal has that title, but he is top 3 for sure.

he was using Staal as an example of the type of player he would want, not actually have Staal.

as for the rebuild imo you don't just tear it down and get prospects/picks, we currently have the assets to acquire a top center and a top Dmen imo with players that don't fit the system. Colorado has Duchene/Mackinnon one's a number one center the other will be if developed properly. they also have Stastny and O'Reilly as good top 6 center's they could afford to use one to fill there other weaknesses, like on the wing or at Defense, we have those pieces. then you look at Nashville who has Josi, Weber playing 25 mins a night and Jones who as a rookie is averaging 21 mins and playing very well, one of those guys might be expendable as they're all gonna be top pairing players in a year or 2. and since they lack offense upfront we certainly are a fit to give that to them to acquire one of these players. preferably it would be Weber, or Jones. I'm not going to throw out Proposals but I definitely feel like we have the pieces to acquire both of those pieces which are 2 of the 3 most important positions in hockey. basically I'd be willing to move anyone other then Rielly to get the job done

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Agreed. Don't want those semi retired Staal types anywhere near a team you're trying to build into a contender.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
i dont think the leafs are that far off and I think most people would agree there just needs to be some tweaks.

I think people are writing off franson a little too quickly around here, he was arguably the leafs best defenceman last season. The players I would keep are as follows:

JVR - great contract when cap increases
Lupul - " "
Reilly - Should be a future top pairing D man
Kulemin - Good value, if you ever got rid of him, not sure who would replace him.
Franson - I still think he has upside and contract provides value.
Bolland - Similar to Kulemin, provides intangibles to the team.
Bernier - Looks like the real deal,
Phaneuf - Want to see what he looks like with a top player beside him.

In the summer I would sign Markov as a FA contract for 2-3 years, even if you have to over pay. This guy made Komisarek look great and he probably covers up a lot of PK Subbans mistakes. I know he is older, but you would really get a sense of what Phaneuf is in the first year or 2 of that deal.

I would than try to pry Roman Polak away from St Louis. He plays with some grit and would make the team tougher to play against. I will likely get roasted for proposing this but a deal of Berglund, Polak + Pick for Kessel possibly

Sign Matt Moulson or similar to replace Kessels offence, likely cheaper and shorter term.

Players who would be expendible.

Kadri - if the return is right I would move him, I dont see him being more than a 3rd line Tucker type of player
Gardiner - you have to give to get
Reimer - expendable
Bozak - not sure who would deal for him so he would likely remain

JVR / Berglund / Moulson
Lupul / Bolland / Clarkson
Kulemin / holland / Raymond
Komarov / mcclement / D'amigo

Phaneuf / Markov
Reilly / Polak
Franson / Gunnarsson
Gleason

obviously there are players that were dealt from this roster that arent accounted for Kadri/gardiner/bozak, when I have more time I will think of replacements

Last edited:

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
he was using Staal as an example of the type of player he would want, not actually have Staal.

as for the rebuild imo you don't just tear it down and get prospects/picks, we currently have the assets to acquire a top center and a top Dmen imo with players that don't fit the system. Colorado has Duchene/Mackinnon one's a number one center the other will be if developed properly. they also have Stastny and O'Reilly as good top 6 center's they could afford to use one to fill there other weaknesses, like on the wing or at Defense, we have those pieces. then you look at Nashville who has Josi, Weber playing 25 mins a night and Jones who as a rookie is averaging 21 mins and playing very well, one of those guys might be expendable as they're all gonna be top pairing players in a year or 2. and since they lack offense upfront we certainly are a fit to give that to them to acquire one of these players. preferably it would be Weber, or Jones. I'm not going to throw out Proposals but I definitely feel like we have the pieces to acquire both of those pieces which are 2 of the 3 most important positions in hockey. basically I'd be willing to move anyone other then Rielly to get the job done

Stastny is a viable option via free agency next summer, not sure I would give up assets for him at this point, unless it was just dealing away Bozak.

Weber would be the attainable guy from Nashville in a few years when Jones is up for another contract, but until than they wouldnt move any of their top guys.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I would say this: We have much more assets now than 5 years ago. Miscoka 5 set Leafs back years by not allowing trades and rebuild when we needed it. Hopefully, if we ever need another rebuild we could restock cupboards with high picks and quality prospects to get this franchise to new heights using our current great players. :yo:

PS. Generally speaking I will trade anyone over 25yo on rebuilding team as before any picks/prospects can develop 25+ players will be on their decline.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JVR Staal Kessel
JVR Staal Kessel
JVR Bolland Kessel
D'Amigo Bolland Ashton

Looks funny, the point is to illustrate an ideal template.

PF PF SN
PF PF SN
PF PF SN
PF PF PF

3 lines the same but different is the the combination I like. You want big bodies up the middle with skill, you want a sniper and another PF to cycle with your C, the SN job here is to find his spot, wings and c to establish zone pressure, cycle and battle.

I think I'd want something like this, using names as a template as well to show the quality, age and style of player I think we're missing from the current group:

JVR-Stamkos-Kessel
Hossa-Hanzal-Raymond (not necesarily Raymond, just can't think of a complimentary finesse piece
Simmonds-Bolland-Clarkson
Roussel-Komarov-Downie

So I'd say we're pretty far off, mainly missing an honest blue collar element, a consistent pest and agitation element, winning experience, size down the middle and a player better than Kessel to lead the way.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
So long as it improves the team there isn't anyone I'm attached at the hip to.

Currently, I'd like to see this team play with more energy. Not sure if that needs to be a coaching change, but I'm not happy with how lackadaisical this team can be when they really ought to be invested and motivated.

After watching the HBO series, I'm losing favour for Kadri... Hopefully it's a maturity thing, but I'd be willing to part with him at the right price, particularly with a team like Edmonton that may have upgrade options for our top 6.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not going to rebuild. It's pointless, counterproductive and just a great way to put us into a perpetual losing team. The only thing I look to do, is to trade some complementary pieces around the core at the deadline.

Those players are as follows, ranked in no specific order.

1) Mason Raymond - He'll be looking for a big raise, and he'll have good trade value to playoff bound teams. His 1 million is an easy fit to cap squeezed team's, he's a great PK player and he can fill in as a nice 2nd line scoring role when needed.

2) Cody Franson - Far to much is made about our RH'd dman issue for me to care about trading him. He's not a long term fit in my eyes and I think he's more valuable as a trade chip than anything else. He's got great offensive instincts, and a huge shot. He'd be valuable to playoff teams.

3) James Reimer - I'm a huge fan but it's pretty clear that the Leafs are going to give Bernier the starter role (and he's done enough to justify it too). He's probably more valuable at the draft though.

4) Nikolai Kulemin - Love him but he's replaceable barring a steal of a deal. Even then I think he can give more value in a trade than as a long term player. he'd be heavily coveted by playoff teams (as supported by Dreger).

Potential Players to trade. These are guys we need to be very careful with. Two of the three of them should be traded only in the circumstance of an outright upgrade.

1) Jake Gardiner - Has huge potential. There is no sense in trading him for another dman simply to get a RH'd dman. It's dumb asset management. He's only being traded if you can get a young top 2 dman (Petry is not that. Neither is Niskanen).

2) Nazem Kadri - Again, he should only be traded if we get a clear top 6 upgrade coming in. Ryan O'Reilly isn't a clear upgrade on him, nor Bozak. Kadri we need to be even more careful with than Gardiner. He's 23, coming off a highly succesful season, and has more talent than almost anyone in our organization. His attitude issues are way overblown and made out into a bigger deal than they need to be (read: He really doesn't have any). He's cocky but so are a lot of players in this league. That's a stupid reason to trade him. Only traded if it's a clear upgrade.

3) Dave Bolland - I waffle on him a lot. We can likely recover what we traded for him easily enough, but he's still under 30 and he's a huge playoff performer. He's almost a perfect third line center to have because he can jump up into the 2nd line roll in case of injury but knows how to play the 3rd line roll well. The question is if he can be a long term fit? I'm not sure. The injuries are also a concern but could be a nice little blessing in disguise that actually artificially lower any long term contract he signs.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm not going to rebuild. It's pointless, counterproductive and just a great way to put us into a perpetual losing team. The only thing I look to do, is to trade some complementary pieces around the core at the deadline.

Those players are as follows, ranked in no specific order.

1) Mason Raymond - He'll be looking for a big raise, and he'll have good trade value to playoff bound teams. His 1 million is an easy fit to cap squeezed team's, he's a great PK player and he can fill in as a nice 2nd line scoring role when needed.

2) Cody Franson - Far to much is made about our RH'd dman issue for me to care about trading him. He's not a long term fit in my eyes and I think he's more valuable as a trade chip than anything else. He's got great offensive instincts, and a huge shot. He'd be valuable to playoff teams.

3) James Reimer - I'm a huge fan but it's pretty clear that the Leafs are going to give Bernier the starter role (and he's done enough to justify it too). He's probably more valuable at the draft though.

4) Nikolai Kulemin - Love him but he's replaceable barring a steal of a deal. Even then I think he can give more value in a trade than as a long term player. he'd be heavily coveted by playoff teams (as supported by Dreger).

Potential Players to trade. These are guys we need to be very careful with. Two of the three of them should be traded only in the circumstance of an outright upgrade.

1) Jake Gardiner - Has huge potential. There is no sense in trading him for another dman simply to get a RH'd dman. It's dumb asset management. He's only being traded if you can get a young top 2 dman (Petry is not that. Neither is Niskanen).

2) Nazem Kadri - Again, he should only be traded if we get a clear top 6 upgrade coming in. Ryan O'Reilly isn't a clear upgrade on him, nor Bozak. Kadri we need to be even more careful with than Gardiner. He's 23, coming off a highly succesful season, and has more talent than almost anyone in our organization. His attitude issues are way overblown and made out into a bigger deal than they need to be (read: He really doesn't have any). He's cocky but so are a lot of players in this league. That's a stupid reason to trade him. Only traded if it's a clear upgrade.

3) Dave Bolland - I waffle on him a lot. We can likely recover what we traded for him easily enough, but he's still under 30 and he's a huge playoff performer. He's almost a perfect third line center to have because he can jump up into the 2nd line roll in case of injury but knows how to play the 3rd line roll well. The question is if he can be a long term fit? I'm not sure. The injuries are also a concern but could be a nice little blessing in disguise that actually artificially lower any long term contract he signs.

I agree with everything you said, except, ROR. He is an upgrade on Kadri

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Fix Bottom Six

Trade
Raymond for Clifford
Gunnarsson for Downie
Clarkson for Edm or Cgy 6th (Both teams I think would take him)

Sign
Komarov

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Holland
Downie - Bolland - Kulemin
Clifford - McClement - Komarov

Bottom six has 6 who are super gritty, got 3 pests, got 2 fighters, 4 excellent PK'ers, 3 guys who can put up points, and good enough FO ability.

That's a bottom six that changes a teams culture and you win playoff games with.

Durkin67

I would trade:

Kessel - great scorer but that's about it. IMO not the type of player you try to rebuild with. He has an great contract and teams will want him. 2 firsts + player(s)

Franson - if TO can resign him for less then $3m then I may keep him. If not trade. 2nd + player(s)

Raymond - his trade value is super high. If we can get 2 2nd's for him take it!

Phaneuf - I like him. Great defenseman and at 7x$7m he has an amazing contract. Has a no trade starting next year. Its a toss up depending on what we could get for him. 1st + 2nd + player(s)

Keep:

Lupal - put the ****ing C on his Jersey. I love the guy.

Clarkson - 2 yrs from now no1 will be complaining about his contract. Put him on 1st line PP and he will get points

Kadri - having a hard time right now. This will be his first 82 game season and will grow and get better. I want him and he is going to be a great 2nd line centre. No question.

JVR - love this kid. Too bad he can't play centre :)

Gardner - young. Smart. Fast.

Rielly - Big. Young. Smart. Very fast. Future Leafs captain.

Holland - only a short look but I like what I see. He is large, quick and determined. Like to see where he develops.

I did this list on the fly and just wondering who you would trade / keep. May be fun. Leafs may be in good shape 5-7yrs from now.

I dont like the idea of a rebuild but if I was GM and Rogers/Bell insisted on a rebuild, here's what I'd be looking at:

1. Kessel and Bozak to COL for MacKinnon and a first.
2. Kadri and Reimer to WPG for E. Kane
3. TOR 1st, Lupul and Gardiner to EDM for Darnell Nurse, Sam Gagner, 2014 1st.
4. Kulemin, 2nd to PITT for PITT 1st
5. PITT first for Kulikov
Phaneuf to SJS for 2 first round picks and a prospect

Kane MacKinnon JvR
Raymond Gagner Clarkson
Smith? Holland D'Amigo
Orr JMAC Bodie?

Gunner Franny
Gleason Kulikov
Rielly Ranger

Bernier
McYntire

Four first rounders heading into the draft, a future first two capable 1C options, Holland, Smith and JMAC all capable of playing strong supporting roles down the middle, and a young, skilled D corps rounded out by a few veterans. SJS replaces Boyle with a hard hitting puck mover with a big shot, and his movie star bride is happy to head southwest.

Contenders? not this year, but the future would be bright. Bottom line is the Leafs have a real solid core group and some good young talent coming up. A rebuild really doesnt strengthen their cause at all IMO, but if we are just having fun, I'd be inclined to do something like this...

Last edited by a moderator:

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
I dont like the idea of a rebuild but if I was GM and Rogers/Bell insisted on a rebuild, here's what I'd be looking at:

Kane MacKinnon JvR
Raymond Gagner Clarkson
Smith? Holland D'Amigo
Orr JMAC Bodie?

Gunner Franny
Gleason Kulikov
Rielly Ranger

Bernier
McYntire

Four first rounders heading into the draft, a future first two capable 1C options, Holland, Smith and JMAC all capable of playing strong supporting roles down the middle, and a young, skilled D corps rounded out by a few veterans. SJS replaces Boyle with a hard hitting puck mover with a big shot, and his movie star bride is happy to head southwest.

Contenders? not this year, but the future would be bright. Bottom line is the Leafs have a real solid core group and some good young talent coming up. A rebuild really doesnt strengthen their cause at all IMO, but if we are just having fun, I'd be inclined to do something like this...

our roster is much better.... that D is atrocious...

keep:
kessel - unless u find another 40g scorer who has chemitry with a 4mil #1C
Bozak - see above.... cheap and defensively just as good as any #1 C
JVR..... no point in trading for a rebuild
Clarkson: role player... only needs to be traded if cap is stopping us from acquiring a player (nonis will then offload as needed)
Kulemin - another solid role player
Phaneuf: #1C... good luck finding another
Rielly
Gardiner
Gunnar
Bernier
Reimer

Trade (hypothetically)
Lupul
Kadri
Raymond

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

Kane MacKinnon JvR
Raymond Gagner Clarkson
Smith? Holland D'Amigo
Orr JMAC Bodie?

Gunner Franny
Gleason Kulikov
Rielly Ranger

Bernier
McYntire

Expecting that return for Bozak and Kessel is flat out unrealistic. The best you can hope for is that Burke wants him and pays a ridiculous price... Again.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Stastny is a viable option via free agency next summer, not sure I would give up assets for him at this point, unless it was just dealing away Bozak.

Weber would be the attainable guy from Nashville in a few years when Jones is up for another contract, but until than they wouldnt move any of their top guys.

I wouldn't trade anything for Stastny nor would I sign him in free agency he will be badly overpayed again. I was just saying he's on Colorado and he's a capable top 6 center.

and since this thread has gone all proposal crazy since I posted I will just through out my two proposal's I was thinking about

Phaneuf + Ross + Raymond for Mackinnon.
Kessel + Gardiner + Gauthier for Weber
Bolland for picks/prospects at deadline if healthy

in the future our lineup would look like

Jvr - Mackinnon - ?????
Lupul - Bozak - Kulemin
Clarkson - Kadri - Holland
Ashton - McClement - D'Amigo
Smith

Weber - Rielly
Gunnerson - ?????
Franson - Percy/Finn
Gleason

Bernier
Reimer

currently this lineup would give us roughly an extra 7 mill in cap space going into the summer. now is this lineup better then what we currently have? no probably not but I think with the upgrade with Weber our new Captain and when Mackinnon grows it will give us elite pieces in the 3 most important positions in hockey. #1 center, Dmen and Goalie. It also gives us strength down the middle with Mackinnon, Bozak, Kadri and McClement. but maybe I'm out in fantasy land right now lol.

Durkin67

Expecting that return for Bozak and Kessel is flat out unrealistic. The best you can hope for is that Burke wants him and pays a ridiculous price... Again.

For a young team LOADED with top end centres looking for leadership, I would have to disagree.

Durkin67

our roster is much better.... that D is atrocious...

keep:
kessel - unless u find another 40g scorer who has chemitry with a 4mil #1C
Bozak - see above.... cheap and defensively just as good as any #1 C
JVR..... no point in trading for a rebuild
Clarkson: role player... only needs to be traded if cap is stopping us from acquiring a player (nonis will then offload as needed)
Kulemin - another solid role player
Phaneuf: #1C... good luck finding another
Rielly
Gardiner
Gunnar
Bernier
Reimer

Trade (hypothetically)
Lupul
Kadri
Raymond

That D is built to contend in two years, not today. Add five first round picks and Darnell Nurse, and two years experience to the equation.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Kane MacKinnon JvR
Raymond Gagner Clarkson
Smith? Holland D'Amigo
Orr JMAC Bodie?

Gunner Franny
Gleason Kulikov
Rielly Ranger

Bernier
McYntire

We have no 2nd until 2016, and if you are gathering picks, make them for next year. Far better draft

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I wouldn't trade anything for Stastny nor would I sign him in free agency he will be badly overpayed again. I was just saying he's on Colorado and he's a capable top 6 center.

and since this thread has gone all proposal crazy since I posted I will just through out my two proposal's I was thinking about

Jvr - Mackinnon - ?????
Lupul - Bozak - Kulemin
Smith

Weber - Rielly
Gunnerson - ?????
Franson - Percy/Finn
Gleason

Bernier
Reimer

currently this lineup would give us roughly an extra 7 mill in cap space going into the summer. now is this lineup better then what we currently have? no probably not but I think with the upgrade with Weber our new Captain and when Mackinnon grows it will give us elite pieces in the 3 most important positions in hockey. #1 center, Dmen and Goalie. It also gives us strength down the middle with Mackinnon, Bozak, Kadri and McClement. but maybe I'm out in fantasy land right now lol.

Brad Richards has a decent chance to get bought out this summer.

If he does and we can get him on a 2 or 3 year contract I'd pay him big.

Richards could replace Kadri or Lupul in our top 6 who could be dealt for other assets. Richards regularly plays the point on the PP which would allow us to easily deal Franson and focus on getting a better 5 on 5, PK Dman in his place.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
For a young team LOADED with top end centres looking for leadership, I would have to disagree.

Fair enough we'll disagree here. It's just a heavy price to pay for two expensive players who don't exactly scream leadership.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Jvr - Mackinnon - ?????
Lupul - Bozak - Kulemin
Smith

Weber - Rielly
Gunnerson - ?????
Franson - Percy/Finn
Gleason

Bernier
Reimer

With Jones in Nashville there is a shot at Weber I guess. Mackinnon is not going anywhere I think.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
If I was appoint GM today and the mandate was to do a hard rebuild. I guess this would be my plan.

Core

Forward: JVR, Bozak/Bolland, McClement, Broll, Devane, Leivo, Gauthier and Verhague(sp?).
Defense: Reilly, Gunnersson, Gleason, Ranger, Percy, Granberg and Macwilliam.
Goalies: Bernier and Reimer

Everyone else would be made availiable for the right price.

Targets: E. Lindholm, Kucherov, Jurco, Hanzel, J. Brodin, Yandle, Saros or Dansk and a Top 5 pick in either 2014 or 2015 Draft.

Draft Mentality: BPA.

Build Plan: Build thru Draft till core is on fringe of competing. Sign FA's that support core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad