Fun question. If you were to rebuild, who do you keep? who do you trade?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You have to figure it out and plan it, what kind of team do you want.

Mine would start like this.

JVR Holland Raymond
Lupul(C) Kadri Kules
D'Amigo Bolland Ashton
Bodie Mc Orr

Reilly Gunner
Gardiner Gleason
TJ Ranger

Bernier
Drew

There you go hope to get picks and prospects for the rest and swap it out and start the process.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not a true rebuild.

James Van Riemsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
xxx - Nazem Kadri - xxx
xxx - Dave Bolland - Nikolai Kulemin
xxx - xxx - Jerry D'Amigo

Dion Phaneuf - xxx
Carl Gunnarsson - xxx
Morgan Rielly - xxx

Jonathan Bernier
xxx

Yes - I kept all three centres. Bozak has shown to me this season and last that he has a role on this team and that our team is noticably better when he is in the line-up. I have faith that Kadri will rebound in a big way, he's shown he can respond to adversity. He is simply in a sophomore slump that is common in almost all players that have a huge breakout year. He won't be a #1C but I think he is our long-term solution as our #2C. Bolland is awesome, re-sign him please.

JVR/Kessel, I keep. I'm starting to see that our strength at wing that everyone was wow'd at before this season might not be a strength after all. Lupul has shown to me this season just how bad he is defensively and just how bad he is when he isn't scoring. I think Lupul would be an attractive trade piece to acquire another top 4 defenseman. Clarkson, whilst not bad, will never live up to that contract. If we can't trade him, I'd want him on our third line. Kulemin likely won't stay but I would try to keep him if he's willing to stay for less than three million. Fourth line, whatever - but keep D'Amigo.

Phaneuf stays, Gunnarsson has proved this season he is a slightly-worse Niklas Hjalmarsson or Dennis Seidenberg. Once he moves to the 2nd pairing, people will see just how valuable he really is. Keep Rielly obviously. Aside from that, Franson won't fetch much after this season but Gardiner is an attractive piece as well - I would use him to fix our 2nd line RW spot.

Keep Bernier, trade Reimer.

To sum up, I think these demands are realistic:
Use Lupul as a trade-piece to acquire a top 4 defenseman.
Use Gardiner + Reimer + whatever else to acquire 2nd line wingers.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If we were truly rebuilding. Almost every one would be up for sale.

I'd keep
Rielly
JVR
Bernier
Holland
Kessel*
Clarkson*
Phaneuf*
Gleason*
*Due to contract

JVR-____-Kessel
____-____-Clarkson
____-Holland-____
____-_____-____
Phaneuf-Rielly
____-____
____-Gleason
Bernier
____

Trade/let walk
Bozak 2nd+prospect
Lupul 1st+decent prospect/2nd+young promising roster player
Franson 3rd+prospect/similar youngish struggling player
Gardiner 2nd+promising prospect/similar young roster player with upside
Reimer 3rd+young roster player+backup goaltender
Kadri 1st+promising prospect/similar young roster player with upside
Gunnarsson 2nd+prospect

Bolland UFA
Kulemin UFA
McClement UFA
Raymond UFA
Fraser UFA
Ranger UFA

Soon to be UFA's might get something cheap but nothing too important.

Need some decent vets still to help the young guys out. Don't want to turn into the Oilers or anything! ;)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To me, it basically looks like this:

JVR - X - X
X - Holland? - X
X - X - X
X - X- X

Rielly - X
Gardiner? - X
X - X

Bernier
X

Not that everyone actually needs to go, but everyone can be had for a price so we can fill those spots up with the right personnel.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
IF we were in a rebuild stage (which we aren't), I would work to keep the young corps pieces, while maintaining veteran presence for stability and to keep a winning atmosphere. (Don't do the oilers rebuild!)

Lupul for a solid winger prospect (Like a Filip Forsberg calibre prospect)
Kessel for a top flight center prospect (Of Huberdeau or Drouin calibre)

JVR - Bozak - Winger Prospect
Holland - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - Center Prospect - Bolland (Bolland can switch with the prospect if necessary)

Phaneuf - XXXX
Gardiner - XXXX
Rielly - XXXX

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Keep:

Lupul
JVR
Bolland
Holland
Rielly
Bernier
Franson
McClement
D'Amigo
Kulemin

JVR - xxx - xxx
xxx - Bolland - Lupul
Kulemin - Holland - xxx
D'Amigo - McClement - xxx

Rielly - xxx
xxx - Franson
xxx - xxx

Bernier

Maybe Gunnar and Raymond for the 2nd line/pairing

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You can blame the lesser players like Kostka, Ranger, Fraser, Grabovski, Raymond, etc. or anyone you want, but at the end of the day, I look at our franchise forward Phil Kessel on a night like this, and he sets the tone.

When the opposition decides to play a grinding heavy game and lean on the Leafs, clog up the neutral zone and shut down our top line, what can Phil Kessel actually do? If there's no room to skate, is he going to create space for himself? If he gets double teamed off the puck, is he going to fight tooth and nail to get it back? Is he going to create a turnover through tireless defensive effort? Is he going to throw a big hit on the forecheck? When the team loses is he going to stand up and take the heat and bear the responsibility?

No, he doesn't have to do any of those things and neither does anyone else. No one is accountable and the team doesn't get better. Same old meltdowns every ****ing year. Phil Kessel doesn't necessarily have to be traded but he cannot be our number one forward. Otherwise, this is what you get every time.

Everyone's to blame but it starts at the top.

With our 15M per a year Duo....we will not win anything but heart break.....they both need to go....

Anyone who calls Dion a number 1 D man does not watch hockey other then the Leafs.... and that C needs to be ripped off his Jersey.....Captains lead teams not suck the life out of them. Then our point producer Kessel .....it hurt to watch what he does not bring to the game...him and Raymond are head to head for the Cy Young trophy this year.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
It's a reasonably simple thing to target players we think need to be traded, it's an entirely different thing to identify reasonable targets that could be had to affect the change necessary.

The number one centres that we could reasonably target...?

And the kind of price that should be offered, should cost something on the order of, Kadri,Reimer,and one of Reilly,Franson or Gardiner if the expectation is that ONE number one centre to make an impact that shifts our club into contention.

I think that's the price of a Tavares on an Islanders club that could use help at all three positions.

Aside from the Islanders and aside from Tavares, what talent and team takes into consideration every factor needed for that perfect storm?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You build your forward lines in pairs.
Look at the contenders:
Pittsburgh
Kunitz-Crosby
Malkin-Neal
Chicago
Toews-Kane
Sharp-Hossa
Boston
Bergeron-Marchand
Krejci-Lucic
LA
Kopitar-Brown
Richards-Carter

We lack consistent secondary scoring and a top line center. It's not Kadri.
Top 6
Lupul-No.1 Center-2 Way Winger
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Bottom 6
Holland-Bolland-Clarkson
D'Amigo-McClement-Energy/Hitting Winger

Defense is a mess:
Phaneuf and Rielly stay. I can't rate Gleason yet but at 4 million he stays. Gunnar is fine but not on the top pair. If I need to include him to finish a big deal I would.

Gunnar(Upgrade)-Phaneuf
Rielly-Top 4 Right handed D
Gleason-Another Righty

Choose your goalie. I choose Bernier and recall MacIntyre from the AHL.

Pieces I have to upgrade:
Kadri,Gardiner,Reimer,Kulemin,Franson,Raymond,Gunnar,1st rd pick 2014.
Replace:
Fraser,Ranger

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Leaf fans are a comical bunch. ;) Don't have to rebuild.... yet, they are almost out of the playoffs. The other Eastern teams, Flyers, Rangers and Sens are picking it up.

I think the ppl who post followups to Sun articles on the Leafs have more insight than you guys.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/04/maple-leafs-face-off-against-rangers

Maybe the Leafs will turn it around - they acquired Tim Gleason. :handclap:

lupul did jack sh@t too .......we got two players going to the olympics .and both on a team that might not even medal ......lets blow it up ......and really blow it up ,this bunch is a bad coctail

Bluejaysfan*

They don't need to trade Kessel unless they get an absolute great offer. They managed to be the 5th worst team the year Kessel was ppg. The Leafs can be terrible with Kessel. We have him for the next 8 years, unless you get an offer where a team is offering a great young potential $1 center like the Seguin deal, keep him.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'd keep Reilly and JVR. I have no faith a single player on this team is worth rebuilding around, but at least these two have the potential to be far better than they are now. Load up for next years draft

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Every single player would be available, but ideally, if I were to make a move, some of these forwards would be moved for defense man. Personally, I am fine with our centers, so no need for a big center acquisition. It is the D that is very troubling.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
JVR, Gardiner, Rielly and Bernier. Maybe Lupul, just for the fact I feel he's good leader in the room.

Everyone else would be available from the team. The priority would be getting Phil Kessel far, far away from this team.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I would keep JVR, Kessel, Holland, Kadri, Dion, Reilly, Gardiner, D'amigo, and Bernier.

Everyone else on the trading block.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nonis claims he has no untouchables so I suppose then everyone if available for the right price.

I personally wouldn't hold too tight on much of the roster. Rielly would be the last player I would look to move and Bernier the 2nd last one out the door but after that I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nonis claims he has no untouchables so I suppose then everyone if available for the right price.

I personally wouldn't hold too tight on much of the roster. Rielly would be the last player I would look to move and Bernier the 2nd last one out the door but after that I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep.

Haha Nonis is scared to move anything higher than a second round pick. He won't even trade players who could fetch a first.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm curious as to how everyone is picking players they want to keep, without stating what type of team they'd like the Leafs to be/ what identity they want to have.

You can't properly build, unless you know what you're building towards.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm curious as to how everyone is picking players they want to keep, without stating what type of team they'd like the Leafs to be/ what identity they want to have.

There are many ingredients that would fit anywhere on any team, but those highly specialized players like Phil Kessel may or may not belong simply because they don't and won't do enough for you.

Bluejaysfan*

If they keep Kessel, they have to build towards a Chicago style team in which Kessel is essentially our version of Kane. We just have to find the #1 C to offset his faults. Ideally, we trade away most of our UFAs for picks and prospects except for guys like Bolland and McClement who lead by example and are hard working players, because a young team needs those players to lead by example. Otherwise you end up like Edmonton. I am of firm belief that Sam Reinhart will be the next Jonathan Toews, their play is so alike. If the Leafs can trade off some UFAs, and continue sucking, maybe they can get lucky and win the draft lottery and select Reinhart. And finally....whatever you do, unless you get a young center with similar potential to Kadri, DO NOT TRADE HIM. The Bruins traded Seguin...now look at him. The Coyotes traded Turris...now look at him. Trading players like Kadri just because they are struggling currently almost always leads to failure.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There are many ingredients that would fit anywhere on any team, but those highly specialized players like Phil Kessel may or may not belong simply because they don't and won't do enough for you.

Yeah, but like I said, rebuilding generally comes from a desire to be different than you currently are. To establish that, you first need to establish who you want to be.

If they keep Kessel, they have to build towards a Chicago style team in which Kessel is essentially our version of Kane. We just have to find the #1 C to offset his faults. Ideally, we trade away most of our UFAs for picks and prospects except for guys like Bolland and McClement who lead by example and are hard working players, because a young team needs those players to lead by example. Otherwise you end up like Edmonton. I am of firm belief that Sam Reinhart will be the next Jonathan Toews, their play is so alike. If the Leafs can trade off some UFAs, and continue sucking, maybe they can get lucky and win the draft lottery and select Reinhart. And finally....whatever you do, unless you get a young center with similar potential to Kadri, DO NOT TRADE HIM. The Bruins traded Seguin...now look at him. The Coyotes traded Turris...now look at him. Trading players like Kadri just because they are struggling currently almost always leads to failure.

Again, this is about the team we want to be, not the team we have a similar player to.

Bluejaysfan*

Yeah, but like I said, rebuilding generally comes from a desire to be different than you currently are. To establish that, you first need to establish who you want to be.

Again, this is about the team we want to be, not the team we have a similar player to.

Oh...in that case, the type of team I want the Leafs to be is the Kings. Great 2 way centermen, great defensive system that can make any goaltender look like a star, big bodied wingers that play a great possession game and mobile defensemen. We have JVR, Bernier, Phaneuf and Rielly who can all be part of that type of team but what do you do to get the rest. Where are you going to acquire the Kopitars, Richards and Carters? The first step is to get Reinhart in this draft and then you will have 1 #1 center. Now you just need to go about getting the other one with pieces like Kessel, Gardiner, Kadri, Lupul and Reimer. Surely you can get a #1 center prospect with those pieces, and a damn good one at that as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The only pieces I am really interested in keeping are JVR, Rielly, Bernier and possibly Gardiner, though he seems to be playing himself out of this group for me. They're generic enough quality pieces that they could fit in anywhere on any kind of team.

Not that you have to trade the rest, but I am open to anything happening with anybody else outside of this group.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The only pieces I am really interested in keeping are JVR, Rielly, Bernier and possibly Gardiner, though he seems to be playing himself out of this group for me. They're generic enough quality pieces that they could fit in anywhere on any kind of team.

Not that you have to trade the rest, but I am open to anything happening with anybody else outside of this group.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Before selecting players, you need to select a system / identity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad