Fully Healthy Who Sits? Where do you play Kane

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Eichel line killed us last year. We need to do one of two things, either put Mcdavid's line head to head against Eichel's or a shutdown line of Henrique-Mcleod-Brown.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My lines for the playoffs game 1.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Draisaitl-Henrique
Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Janmark-Carrick-Perry

PK Janmark-Henrique, Carrick-McLeod, Nuge/Draisaitl/Foegele as filler.

I would rather have Holloway in the line up than have Ryan or Brown available for PK.
I don't think it makes sense to scratch Brown, he and that 4th line have been quite good lately.
I also think Kane has been quite solid on the 3rd line with McLeod and Perry, I've liked that line quite a bit actually.

Holloway isn't going to be in the lineup to start the playoffs. I do think they could use his size/speed/physicality combo but he doesn't PK or have defensive reliability yet so I'm not seeing a spot for him right now.

I think we'll see....

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Henrique-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

Ryan

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kane is 4th in team goals I believe, he’s built for playoff hockey. Sit Ryan and Janmark. Holloway has 4 less points than Ryan or Janmark in half as many games. Carrick is a center who can atleast hit and intimidate. Seems pretty easy to me.
It's not easy, Janmark is a key PKer and is rock solid defensively on the 4th line. He's also been driving play a little more down the stretch, he's not being scratched.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kane is 4th in team goals I believe, he’s built for playoff hockey. Sit Ryan and Janmark. Holloway has 4 less points than Ryan or Janmark in half as many games. Carrick is a center who can atleast hit and intimidate. Seems pretty easy to me.
It's not easy, Janmark is a key PKer and is rock solid defensively on the 4th line. He's also been driving play a little more down the stretch bringing a speed element to the 4th line, he's not being scratched.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kane was pretty bad last year in the playoffs.
As was Nuge, Nurse and more than a few others. At least Kane had the excuse of coming in hurt after a brutal series filled with injury.

It's not easy, Janmark is a key PKer and is rock solid defensively on the 4th line. He's also been driving play a little more down the stretch bringing a speed element to the 4th line, he's not being scratched.
Despite those attributes though, Janmark does very little else. Generates absolutely nothing for offence, so he needs to keep a perfectly clean sheet in order to have a positive effect. Have been in his corner for a long time, but I'm getting very frustrated with his ability to not even piss a drop.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Another interesting thing with the fourth line when Ryan is playing lately is that not only do they seldomly get scored on, they haven't even had shots against them in several recent games.
1713384106721.png

As was Nuge, Nurse and more than a few others. At least Kane had the excuse of coming in hurt after a brutal series filled with injury.

Despite those attributes though, Janmark does very little else. Generates absolutely nothing for offence, so he needs to keep a perfectly clean sheet in order to have a positive effect. Have been in his corner for a long time, but I'm getting very frustrated with his ability to not even piss a drop.

The thing is that he does keep a clean sheet quite often. Probably more often than any other Oiler.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's not his role. They're a line designed to keep GA down which is what they've been pretty good at and I do notice lately that Janmark is skating more with the puck and driving play a bit with his speed, Brown is noticeably more aggressive and confident in the offensive zone as of late as well. I would leave that line alone outside of Carrick and Ryan subbing for each other depending on matchup.

The question is more what's Holloway's role. I don't think he brings enough offense to offset the fact that he doesn't PK and isn't defensively reliable. He's sort of like what Kostin was last year without the goal scoring right now. I say this as a fan of Holloway's long term outlook but, right now, I'm not seeing a fit for him on this team when healthy with the top 9 forwards set.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's not his role. They're a line designed to keep GA down which is what they've been pretty good at and I do notice lately that Janmark is skating more with the puck and driving play a bit with his speed, Brown is noticeably more aggressive and confident in the offensive zone as of late as well. I would leave that line alone outside of Carrick and Ryan subbing for each other depending on matchup.

The question is more what's Holloway's role. I don't think he brings enough offense to offset the fact that he doesn't PK and is defensively reliable. He's sort of like what Kostin was last year without the goal scoring right now. I say this as a fan of Holloway's long term outlook but, right now, I'm not seeing a fit for him on this team when healthy with the top 9 forwards set.

Holloway is too high risk, low reward.

The theory of him being an impact player in the playoffs isn't misplaced, but it isn't near worth the gamble. When you have a 4th line that does a good job of suppressing offence as is, then there is no reason to upset the apple cart.

If things aren't working in the bottom 6 and we need a spark then he is there to come into the lineup and provide it. A lot of people would probably be thinking "why did we change that?" if we lost Game 1 and the GWG was scored off a Holloway defensive/neutral zone f*** up. Just go with the Devil you know, and currently that Devil isn't getting scored on.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Holloway is too high risk, low reward.

The theory of him being an impact player in the playoffs isn't misplaced, but it isn't near worth the gamble. When you have a 4th line that does a good job of suppressing offence as is, then there is no reason to upset the apple cart.

If things aren't working in the bottom 6 and we need a spark then he is there to come into the lineup and provide it. A lot of people would probably be thinking "why did we change that?" if we lost Game 1 and the GWG was scored off a Holloway defensive/neutral zone f*** up. Just go with the Devil you know, and currently that Devil isn't getting scored on.

Well said. Everything I say isn't meant to suggest there's no way he should play any game in the playoffs, it's just that I don't see how he's such a sure thing as to push anyone out for Game 1.

I fully expect him to draw in for some games at some point if Edmonton goes on a prolonged run here, but if I'm coach, I go with the group that got you there for at least the first game or two then continually re-assess and adjust.

Reactions: guymez and K1984

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I guess we’ll see what the coach thinks soon enough

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I agree with what a few others have said, playoff Kane is different then regular season Kane. I would also like to see Carrick in as well. Vegas is a big greasy team.
Henrique McDavid Hyman
Nuge Drai Foegele
Holloway McLeod Perry
Kane Carrick Brown Janmark
I like Ryan and he is valuable but I dont think his speed is comparable to the other fellas. Speed and size are needed against Vegas
IMO this is the perfect line up

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
The Eichel line killed us last year. We need to do one of two things, either put Mcdavid's line head to head against Eichel's or a shutdown line of Henrique-Mcleod-Brown.
100%, but even if we saw off that line Vegas has some real depth on their other lines as well. One way or another this team is going to live and die based on how our middle six performs at even strength. The game plan for any team playing the Oilers is to stay out of the box, hold on for dear life while McJesus is on the ice, and then try to cave the rest of our team. That's how Vegas beat us, and that's how Colorado beat us.

If we are able to find combinations that work on lines 2 and 3, either in terms of scoring or just suffocating their opponents, then in order to beat us the other team needs to: (i) outscore the McDavid line; and/or (ii) outscore us on special teams. That's a tough thing for any team to do over a 7 game series.

If McLeod/Foegele/Henrique/Nurse/Ceci get hot, we're going to go deep. If they struggle, McDavid and Draisaitl will end up on the same line and we'll once again see how far those two can drag us on their own.

Reactions: Duke74

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
So today Ceci and Nurse sit. Which Pair sits tomorrow
Hopefully Ekholm and Bouchard at least, I want them to rest and don't want to give the Avalanche the chance to do something stupid as retribution for the Rantanen hit.

I'd prefer to dress as many Condors as possible against the Avalanche. Tonights game probably ends around 10:30 MT, which means they get to the airport close to midnight, and won't get to the hotel in Denver until 2 or 3 am. What's the point? I don't even know if they can make this work, but I'd love to scratch some regulars and not even have them make the trip to Denver. Stay the night in Arizona, then fly them directly home to Edmonton.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
We will see when the series starts.

If we win the series with the unchangeable pairing you insist upon you can be smug and jolly.
You’re embarrassing yourself in the sense that you are equating the McDavid/Draisaitl combo with McDavid/Hyman.

Your assertions make absolutely no sense. At all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well said. Everything I say isn't meant to suggest there's no way he should play any game in the playoffs, it's just that I don't see how he's such a sure thing as to push anyone out for Game 1.

I fully expect him to draw in for some games at some point if Edmonton goes on a prolonged run here, but if I'm coach, I go with the group that got you there for at least the first game or two then continually re-assess and adjust.
There is always the possibility of injury as well.
Unless that happens though I just cant imagine who comes out of the lineup.

I mean it would almost have to be a player that doesnt PK otherwise you are just creating an issue.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Go with what has worked, while we played our best defensive hockey. And Janmark and Brown have been a part of that, with Brown heating up too, you do not sit this guy. As for Kane, he's a playoff guy, give him a role and hold him to it.
Holloway, well, let's just stop measuring his value for the playoffs based on how he played vs the absolute worst team in the league, that's not a reasonable way to gauge performance, play him tonight and vs the Avs, give him more mins in that game too and see if he's a defensive liability, then go from there. Carrick though, I would like to see him slot in so hmmm

So today Ceci and Nurse sit. Which Pair sits tomorrow
Hopefully them lol

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think hill getting hot mostly killed us. If McDavid/ drai are gonna win a cup they should be able to win their head to heads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad