Fugu's 10th Baseball ATD (Comments Only) Thread

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Barry Lamar was almost my pick at #4, but I never get a chance to draft Lefty and I had to take it.

Bonds is a steal at anything under 4. Best hitter ever, with all due respect to Ted Williams.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
ETBpP1o.gif

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
EDITED POST

Rounds 3-7 will be a 12 hour clock. Rounds 8-22 will be an 8 hour clock.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
"I played with Willie Mays and against Hank Aaron," Hall of Famer XXX once said. "They were tremendous players, but they were no Josh Gibson."

"Satch (Paige) was the greatest pitcher in baseball." - Ted Williams

This is the official Commish's Stat of the Draft Post. It's difficult to compare MLB and the NEL, because it depends on who was playing when they matched up. The best research I can find is that against MLB teams with a MLB pitcher and 4-6 position players the NEL had a .615 winning % and against MLB teams with a MLB pitcher and 7+ position players the NEL had a .451 winning %. MLB had more depth, but the NEL All-Stars were just as good as the MLB All-Stars as proven by players such as Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and undrafteds in the majors.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Voight - Sugar Land Skeeters - SP Roger Clemens
Tecumseh - Bearded Men of the House of David - SP Randy Johnson
Dr Pepper - Montreal Expos - SP Pedro Martinez
td_ice - Chattanooga Lookouts - SS Honus Wagner
Fenway - Boston Burping Clams - SP Bob Gibson
Winger For Hire - Rocket City Trash Pandas - 2B Rogers Hornsby
Wrigley - Toledo Mud Hens - SP Sandy Koufax
sarge88 - Prospect Hill A's - SP Greg Maddux
Vegeta - Hanshin Tigers - SP Satchel Paige
Vegeta - Hanshin Tigers - SP Christy Mathewson
sarge88 - Prospect Hill A's - SP Cy Young
Wrigley - Toledo Mud Hens - SP Tom Seaver

There was a run on starters where 10 of 12 picks were starters. The hitters are bolded.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hate to tip my hand but it worked for me last year so whatevs.

I intentionally alternate between pitcher and batter on every pick, so even if I'd had two picks back to back it wouldn't have been two starters. Next up will be #2 in the rotation, behind Pedro "Who's your Daddy" Martinez.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Hate to tip my hand but it worked for me last year so whatevs. I intentionally alternate between pitcher and batter on every pick, so even if I'd had two picks back to back it wouldn't have been two starters. Next up will be #2 in the rotation, behind Pedro "Who's your Daddy" Martinez.
Although I'm not following it this time, I don't think that's a bad strategy. It prevents you from getting too weak on one side of the ball. If my son asked me for advice on fantasy baseball, I'd say take 1 or 2 hitters, then 1 or 2 pitchers.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Hey guys. I wanted to see if there was enough interest for this. I checked with Wrigs and he said it was OK to post here.

After our baseball ATD is over, I wanted to see if we could get enough interest from this group to do a hockey one. But due to hockey not having the depth (team wise) that baseball has, and not the statistical imprint as baseball, I would start the draft with year '78, to present.

So from Gretzky on.

A max of 10 teams. As 40 years is not really deep enough to anymore than 10 teams in my opinion.

I would prefer to do with the guys that participate in this ATD and/or those that people here would invite/reference.

Myself and Wrigs want to do this. so if we could get 8 more guys interested, that would be great.

Please let me know here if you have interest.

Thanks,
TD

EDIT: we can discuss the year starting date, I initially stated above '78, but maybe '70 might be better. The early 70's Habs and Isles had some great players that I would like to see included.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hey guys. I wanted to see if there was enough interest for this. I checked with Wrigs and he said it was OK to post here.

After our baseball ATD is over, I wanted to see if we could get enough interest from this group to do a hockey one. But due to hockey not having the depth (team wise) that baseball has, and not the statistical imprint as baseball, I would start the draft with year '78, to present.

So from Gretzky on.

A max of 10 teams. As 40 years is not really deep enough to anymore than 10 teams in my opinion.

I would prefer to do with the guys that participate in this ATD and/or those that people here would invite/reference.

Myself and Wrigs want to do this. so if we could get 8 more guys interested, that would be great.

Thanks,
TD

I'm in

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Sweet,

so far

1. Wrigs
2. Dr. Pepper
3. td_ice
4. sarge88
5. Winger

Last edited:

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
I debated getting Trout myself. At this pace he is going to be a top 10 player of all time. But I just think he hasn't played long enough to justify taking him over Schmidt. Great pick.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I debated getting Trout myself. At this place he is going to be a top 10 player of all time. But I just think he hasn't played long enough to justify taking him over Schmidt. Great pick.
I was going Schmidt or Trout.

So I like your pick as well.

As I posted on my pick post, you don't have many players in baseball history that can lay claim to being the best (arguably) player in the league for 7 consecutive seasons, with stats to back it up. That puts him up there with some of the all time greats of the game imo. And at CF, top 5.

And definitely the best available CF at this point in the draft, imo. And I am definitely big on securing up the middle. I feel good that I got my C/2B/SS/CF all taken care.

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Just a quick defense of anyone not quite sure of Kershaw and Trout are ATD material.

Trout's worst full season (outside of first year cup of coffee)- Age 22 season .287/.377/.561 for a 168 OPS+ while mashing 36 homers and a league leading 111 RBI and the MVP

Kershaw's worst full season (outside of rookie year)- Age 22 season 2.91 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 133 ERA+, 3.12 FIP, 212 Ks, 3.6 BB/9

That's HoF level talent floors.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

So from Gretzky on.

Thanks,
TD

EDIT: we can discuss the year starting date, I initially stated above '78, but maybe '70 might be better. The early 70's Habs and Isles had some great players that I would like to see included.

I’m in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad