Fugu's 10th Baseball ATD (Comments Only) Thread

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Well, it's time to pimp my team...

The heart and soul of my team, despite my plan going into the draft, is the heart of the order. Hornsby, Gehrig, Mantle could very well be the best trio of hitters out there. Plenty of power and run producing there and ahead of them Ichiro and Boggs are certainly up to the task of being on base of them to drive in. My catching duo will help eliminate any pitching match-up advantages. Berkman and Mantle being able to flip to a favored side of the dish should also help drive opposing teams crazy if they try to play match-ups. Nomar is obviously the weakest link, but still a guy who slugged over .500 and won batting titles in his 14 year career.

Lineup (Avg/OBP/Slg/OPS+)
L Ichiro (.311/.355/.402/107) MVP, 2x Batting Title, 3x Silver Slugger
L Boggs (.328/.415/.443/131) 5x Batting Title, 8x Silver Slugger
R Hornsby (.358/.434/.577/175) 2X MVP, 2x Triple Crown, 7x Batting Title
L Gehrig (.340/.447/.632/179) 2x MVP, Triple Crown, Batting Title
S Mantle (.298/.421/.557/172) 3x MVP, Triple Crown, Batting Title
L Cochrane (.320/.419/.478/129) 2x MVP OR R Campanella (.276/.360/.500/123) 3x MVP
S Berkman (.293/.406/.537/147) 6x All-Star
R Nomar (.313/.361/.521/124) 2x Batting Titles

The starting pitching is solid and looking to neutralize the big lefties around the league. I went with the 4 man rotation with Grove and Palmer being comfortable going on short rests and Wilhelm and Wood being able to take some spot starts and come out of the pen next, with both being knucklers and experience starting and relieving. Kershaw and Santana are two of the modern day aces that are fine taking the ball on short rest every now and again. The rotation has a lot of hardware. Combined we're looking at 4 Triple Crowns, 2 MVPs, 8 Cy Youngs, 19 ERA Titles, and for good measure 6 Gold Gloves.

The bullpen is another strong area. Wagner is a fine hammer at the end of games, but won't be strictly used as a pure closer. Papelbon will be used if the matchups are right and Wagner has been called on earlier. McGraw gives me another lefty that is very good closing the door. Wilhelm and Wood give the bullpen length and durability with both being able to throw 2+ innings and being able to pitch multiple days in a row and only needing short rest. Having both a lefty and a righty long man should have the pen ready for pretty much anything.

My bench gives me a lot of late game options. With 2 righty and 2 lefties plus whichever catcher didn't start, matchups are fine. Oritz, Walker, and Delahanty provide pop off the bench, while Jeets and Delahanty can both swipe bags and are contact machines. Depending on the bench catcher, I either have professional hitter Mickey Cochrane ready from the left side or some power from the right side in Campy.

Overall I fell I drafted a fairly balanced team. The obvious strength is a middle of the lineup that can mash and an entire lineup that thrives at getting on base. The 4 man rotation is risky, but I feel I offset it with having two swing men in the pen that can serve both roles with ease. Having two knuckleball pitchers on staff might be risky, but both Cochrane and Campy are stellar defensive catchers. I think this team can go far.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Regular season results are in, we had a two-way tie and a three-way tie but since baseball doesn't play off for seeding everything was settled through advanced metrics and WAR :sarcasm:

1. Hanshin
2. Prospect Hill
3. House of David
4. Rocket City
5. Chattanooga
6. Montreal
7. Toledo
8. Sugar Land
9. Boston

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Round 1-2: 24 Hour Time Limit
Round 3-7: 12 Hour Time Limit
Round 8-23: 8 Hour Time Limit
Rounds 21-23: Double Picks

Next year we're gonna go back to 25 players and a manager. Instead of only giving you 4 hours in the later rounds to pick and post your bios the way pwn did, the last 3 rounds will be double picks. Please see above to see how it will work.

Reactions: td_ice

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
pFPyb.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Use me or don't use me for the last two rounds, up to you - if we even have them judging by the PM's but we did get another vote by me waiting an extra few hours fwiw.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
My votes are in.

Hopefully everyone votes, the last remaining teams deserve that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad