News Article: FRS NEWS Senators GM Pierre Dorion wants to punch analytics team

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well, I am in an analytics department and there will always be head butting between people "out in the field" and us people at a computer crunching numbers. Sometimes they are right, and sometimes we are right on the occasional issue we disagree on. Analytics is definitely useful though and I am glad we do have a team even if they do get punched sometimes.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I didn't know analytics measured fun.

image2.jpg

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I didn't know analytics measured fun.

image2.jpg

There is an actual study about laughs per 30 seconds I believe when doing a comedy routine? You cannot go for more than a certain amount of time that I forget if you don't want to lose your audience. If you record your shows you can measure it by the crowd reaction.

Its sort of obvious, but also kinda interesting.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not sure why he would undermine his employees like that given that they were hired specifically to analyze hockey players strictly using statistics.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Good grief. You don't have to do everything that the stats suggest (nor should you) as a GM, but you shouldn't be throwing analytics under the proverbial bus here.

And Boro is a terrible example of someone going against the analytics trend.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Not sure why he would undermine his employees like that given that they were hired specifically to analyze hockey players strictly using statistics.

Agreed. Does he want them to lie to him? Just tell him that Boro is doing just fine?

They say that Boro is a below average player because the statistics say just that. This isn't their interpretation. Statistically he's terrible. That is a fact.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Or maybe he understands there are some things the numbers just cant predict :nod:

That's fine but there is no sense in throwing the stats team under the bus. Their job is to report on how a player does statistically. They report to Dorion that Boro's stats are not flattering.

THAT

IS

THEIR

JOB.

It's Dorion's job to decide what to do with that (and other pieces of) information. It's pretty dumb for a GM to say that he'd like to punch people for simply doing their job. And this is coming from someone who has been pretty positive about Dorion's work so far. This is just stupid.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
FRS actually unintentionally makes a good point.

The only time analytics has ever been useful has been in baseball to get the best journeymen/roleplayers you can get.

That's what the Oakland As did. They got some roleplayers on good contracts.

Their success was almost entirely due to their traditionally scouted pitchers. Other important factors include things like their big hitters (who had not-so-good analytics).

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
FRS actually unintentionally makes a good point.

The only time analytics has ever been useful has been in baseball to get the best journeymen/roleplayers you can get.

That's what the Oakland As did. They got some roleplayers on good contracts.

Their success was almost entirely due to their traditionally scouted pitchers. Other important factors include things like their big hitters (who had not-so-good analytics).

I'm afraid Guy Boucher doesn't agree with you since he relies heavily on analytics.
Well actually make it just about any GM and Head coach in NHL.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think sometimes people take wording way too seriously. People just jump at the assumption that Dorion is an idiot because he has a different POV from the analytics team sometimes?

Dorion has done his best to bring in EVERY guy that Boucher has wanted. At least let it play out for 3-4 years to see Dorion's body of work.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think sometimes people take wording way too seriously. People just jump at the assumption that Dorion is an idiot because he has a different POV from the analytics team sometimes?

Dorion has done his best to bring in EVERY guy that Boucher has wanted. At least let it play out for 3-4 years to see Dorion's body of work.

yah but Dahlen you know ... not saying anything against Burrows and his 2 year projection.

If he keeps listening to Boucher we have a chance..

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion is correct in stating that Borowiecki beings positive value to this hockey team that isn't picked up by analytics, but I'm not sure I'd be so passionate about him playing over guys like Harpur or Claesson, who are objectively better hockey players.

But his suggestion that Brassard was the best forward on this team in 2016/17 is laughable. Stone and Hoffman were much, much better. Turris and Pageau were better centers. Brassard had a terribly disappointing year. Dressing it up with advanced stats and pretending it wasn't is doing a disservice to this hockey team, as well as to Brassard himself. We've seen what he can do in the 1st round; that's what we should be expected out of him going forward, not sub-40 point seasons playing beside Stone all year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Man I wish my boss allowed me to come to work and **** up all day and defend me to upper management

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's gonna get worse before it gets better

What does this mean? We are in the second round for the second time in 10 years. How is it getting worse?

I heard the interview live. This is a writer making a mountain out of not just a molehill, but nothing. Dorion has always had this stance re: analytics.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If he can't see the on ice performance of Boro is absolutely represented in the numbers than we have a big issue. I'm growing more and more concerned about this guy as a GM.
Yeah iam not ,what PD needs though is a good veteran hockey man to help him .Thinking BM has checked out ,cant say i blame him .Maybe a promotion to a good hockey man that is sitting right beside Boucher to assitant GM :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad