• Dubas - TOR

• McCrimmon - VGK

• MacLellan - WSH

• Cheveldayoff - WPG

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
I agree with this, hes always been trying to win now with the Price/Weber prime window closing (and its just about closed regardless of Price's present heroics). The catch 22 is you have to suck/tank to get elite talent, but if you suck too much you lose your job. So what can he do?

Most of if not all the Cup winners since Boston have won based of sucking and getting high picks. STL being a bit of an exception, but still needed the 4OA pick to get Pietrangelo.

Obviously Sergachev for Drouin was a disaster - Serg is not only the exact kind of defenseman they're lacking but fits the age range of Suzuki/KK/Caufield and would have been a perfect core piece to build around.

Beyond that I think he should have sold Petry and Gallagher for first round picks last summer instead of extending them. He could have then used those picks to draft players who fit the timeline of their young core or used the picks and resulting cap space to acquire players in that 22-26 age range. He put way too much stock into the Habs performance in the bubble.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Those voting Brisebois, I know hes a good GM, but other than Savard and circumventing the cap with Kuch, what moves did he do this season that improved the Bolts?

(hey my 10000th post!!!)

Well, he found a way to somehow play by the rules and be over the cap hit at the same times. He's cunning and if it wins him a cup, it has to be him.

Lou and Bergevin are runner-ups but as of now, it's all Brisebois IMO

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Obviously Sergachev for Drouin was a disaster - Serg is not only the exact kind of defenseman they're lacking but fits the age range of Suzuki/KK/Caufield and would have been a perfect core piece to build around.

Beyond that I think he should have sold Petry and Gallagher for first round picks last summer instead of extending them. He could have then used those picks to draft players who fit the timeline of their young core or used the picks and resulting cap space to acquire players in that 22-26 age range. He put way too much stock into the Habs performance in the bubble.

Drouin trade was a disaster. But I do remember fans and media being on board with the trade at the time given the Habs struggles and need for an offensive talent, as Drouin was coming off a great playoff in TB (and was still a young 3rd OA pick).... Still, horrible trade and poor insight. He shouldve kept the blue chip prospect knwoing Weber wasnt going to be good forever.

I dont know if I would given up on Petry given that hes their best Dman and all. He basically wouldve just been saying to the fans that he doesnt think the Habs have a chance and would rather rebuild.

Gallagher, well, I dont think any GM wouldve traded away that kind of player (goalscoring heart and soul, playoff type) even though its a little risky to sign him LT (injuries). Let alone the backlash from the fans!

Again, its damned if you do damned if you dont. Either keep the core players in their prime and try to win now, or trade them for picks/prospects for the future BUT lose your job soon after. Cant be easy being in his shoes.

What he shouldve done was trade Tatar especially given that hes being healthy scratched now. But Im guessing he was hoping he wouldve been productive int he playoffs. Hindsight is 20/20.

Hell, if I were him, I would sacrifice my job and tank the next 2 seasons to try and get Wright or Bedard. But thats easy for me to say.

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Needs to be Bergevin for the Andersen trade and the Toffoli/Perry signings for sure. Giving it to Brisebois would be endorsing the practice of obfuscating the Salary Cap, when how that works clearly needs to be changed. Just because the loophole exists, doesn't mean you should become the one that forces the NHL to change the rule.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Well, he found a way to somehow play by the rules and be over the cap hit at the same times. He's cunning and if it wins him a cup, it has to be him.

Lou and Bergevin are runner-ups but as of now, it's all Brisebois IMO

He put Kucherov on LTIR. What is there cunning about it? Thats a nothing move that every team do every year.

The habs added Gallagher to LTIR when he got injured which gave them more capspace for trade deadline moves.

Kucherov was expected to miss the whole season due to injury, so it would have made 0 sense not to put him on LTIR.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
1. Lou
2. Brisebois
3. Zito
4. Sakic
Would be my choices. But I think Brisebois wins based on his total body of work even though it is supposed to be just this year.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think we're well enough into the playoffs to make an educated decision... who will it be?

Not a Habs fan, but its gotta be Bergevin given what he did last summer/fall, and seeing where there are now.

Toffoli 4 x $4.25.... 28G / 52GP
Anderson for Domi, signed 7 x $5.5 ..... a top power forward in the league
Edmundson 4 x $3.25.... +28 with a mediocre Habs team
Allen 2 x $2.35 (2021-23).... possibly the most underrated acquisition given Price's injury
Perry 1 x $750K.... what a steal
Staal for picks.... 4th liner but doing great in the playoffs so far

Lou not far behind: Palmieri, Pageau are monsters in the playoffs so far.

Zito for obvious reasons: Bennett, Verhagae, Forsling, Duclair

I don't see how Montreal isn't winning this given how this is the first comment in the thread.
All of those deals Bergevin made were monster moves that heavily favored the Habs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Bicep Bergy. Dude was trashed hard trashed, Benning Level Trashed, he added size and heart by turning Domi into Anderson. Added heart and soul player in Toffoli. Added another star veteran in Perry. Guy deserves credit.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
6448F49B-C6CC-4701-A099-02AFDAFBAFD3.jpeg

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Bicep Bergy. Dude was trashed hard trashed, Benning Level Trashed, he added size and heart by turning Domi into Anderson. Added heart and soul player in Toffoli. Added another star veteran in Perry. Guy deserves credit.

These awards are voted before the postseason.

Correct?

Bergevin has no chance.

It is crazy to think he could be holding the cup over his head in a month.

Who would've thunk it.

Reactions: Voight

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I still think Bergevin is one of the worst. Like Benning last year, a Cinderella run doesn’t change my view. Especially in a weak Canadian division. Montreal doesn’t even make the playoffs in the regular divisions. Most Habs fans I know wanted him fired before the playoffs.

Exactly
As an opposing fan I hope Bergevin gets an extension :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gotta vote Brisebois on this. His GM skills are so good, half the forum keeps accusing him of cheating. There's no greater compliment than that

Savard trade was pure genius in the way that he did it (i.e. having him flipped to a 3rd team to lower his cap hit even more) even if he hasn't played too well.

(I say this because IIRC some Bolts fans here were saying his play was pretty bad, at least a couple weeks ago)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad