• MacLellan - WSH

• Cheveldayoff - WPG

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was sure they changed it since they announced the finalists after the 2nd round last season.... I guess I misunderstood

NHL Announces Finalists For General Manager Of The Year Award

Voting for the award and announcing the finalists are two different things.

Like all awards except the Conn Smythe, voting is done during the season but they wait to announce the nominees. It wouldn't really be fair if you included the playoffs as some teams have an amazing year but flame out in the first round.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Voting for the award and announcing the finalists are two different things.

Like all awards except the Conn Smythe, voting is done during the season but they wait to announce the nominees. It wouldn't really be fair if you included the playoffs as some teams have an amazing year but flame out in the first round.
I was sure I had heard that they changed the voting for the Jim Gregory until after the 2nd round since many significant GM trades are made for the playoffs..... Must be Mandela Effect

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

The other awards are voted at the end of the reg season, but the GM of the year award is voted after the 2nd round is over.

See:

This

NHL Records

and

Islanders' Lou Lamoriello Wins Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award Sports - Mr Shades Media

There is a reason why all the other awards are announced irrespectively to the playoffs situation, whereas the Jim Gregory award can only be announced after the 2nd round is over. In the link below, they give specific dates announcement for all the awards except for the Jim Gregory, which only gets "announced following the second round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs".

NHL Awards finalists to be revealed daily starting June 1

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Agreed. The award should go to a GM who has a long term vision and is building a perennial contender. Not a GM who has one short term run that’s clearly not a contender nor building to one. The Stanley Cup is such a hard trophy to win and the best GMs build teams that can contend multiple years so that they improve their odds of winning. Sakic, Lou and a few other guys jump out to me.
And looking at it realistically in a normal year Montreal don’t likely even make the playoffs. Who of Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Florida do they knock out of a playoff spot?
I mean it makes a nice story to pick a Canadian Cinderella team but I think when Montreal likely misses the playoffs next year, fans will once again be calling for his head.

Yup.

The answer is (former GM of the year nominee) Dorion. Players and coaches are judged on a season-by-season basis. You can't do the same with GMs. We're seeing the moves Dorion made over the last few years start to come to fruition this season, and there's nowhere to go but up at this point.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yup.

The answer is (former GM of the year nominee) Dorion. Players and coaches are judged on a season-by-season basis. You can't do the same with GMs. We're seeing the moves Dorion made over the last few years start to come to fruition this season, and there's nowhere to go but up at this point.
if you suck long enough your GM will look good in the long run because of all the high picks over the years... see: PIT, WSH, CHI, LA, TB, etc

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The other awards are voted at the end of the reg season, but the GM of the year award is voted after the 2nd round is over.

See:

This

NHL Records

and

Islanders' Lou Lamoriello Wins Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award Sports - Mr Shades Media

There is a reason why all the other awards are announced irrespectively to the playoffs situation, whereas the Jim Gregory award can only be announced after the 2nd round is over. In the link below, they give specific dates announcement for all the awards except for the Jim Gregory, which only gets "announced following the second round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs".

I knew I wasnt crazy

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

See:

This

NHL Records

and

Thanks that’s what I thought. Hard to argue with Lou, Brisebois and Sakic as 3 of the top 4 last year and probably this year as well.
I would have had Vegas’ GM higher but I suspect that there was some resentment amongst the other GMs that were fleeced by Vegas in the expansion draft.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
if you suck long enough your GM will look good in the long run because of all the high picks over the years... see: PIT, WSH, CHI, LA, TB, etc

Except, the Sens haven't sucked for very long. They were in the conference finals just 4 years ago. The only "high picks over the years" currently playing for the team are Tkachuk and Stutzle.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Except, the Sens haven't sucked for very long. They were in the conference finals just 4 years ago. The only "high picks over the years" currently playing for the team are Tkachuk and Stutzle.
Fine, but theyre not good yet last I checked, and may not be for a few more years or more...

Sanderson was another high pick and they gave away what couldve been Makar in the awful Duchene deal. Dorion's made some fine picks with the likes of: Batherson, Formenton, Pinto, Bernard-Docker, but Im not putting Dorion on any pedestal yet. I mean 2 years ago we were saying hes the worst GM in hockey.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Personally I would have taken Bergevin in Ottawa, and it's not a recent opinion. I'd like to see Ottawa's drafting/development + Bergevin asset management.

I had a post in February where I listed this :

But Bergevin trades were pretty much all good/great (except Drouin trade?) :

- Acquired Petry for a 2nd + 4th
- Acquired Danault + 2nd (Romanov) for Fleischmann + Weise
- Acquired Suzuki + Tatar + 2nd for Pacioretty
- Acquired Weber for Subban (move that was heavily criticized for 2-3 years but not anymore)
- Acquired Domi for Galchenyuk, then eventually Anderson for Domi + 3rd
- Acquired Armia + 4th + 7th for eating Steve Masons's cap dump for just 1 year
- Acquired Byron from waivers
- Acquired Kulak for Taormina (AHL player that ended up being done shortly after)
- Acquired Thompson + 5th for a 4th round pick, then eventually traded him for another 5th
- Acquired 2nd + 3rd for damaged goods Andrew Shaw
- Acquired Scandella for 4th, then flipped him a few weeks later for a 2nd and a 4th
- Acquired Allen for 3rd, then extended him for a reasonable 2 years at 2.875 (0.930+ SV % since last year)
- Acquired Edmundson for a 5th then signed him for a reasonable 4 years at 3.5 (leads NHL with +18)
- Signed Toffoli and Chiarot as a UFA
He managed to recoup some value for Shaw, but just a few years prior he gave up two 2nd round picks for Shaw. One of which became Debrincat. Don't know if him recouping some lost value after the fact is a "win" for him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He managed to recoup some value for Shaw, but just a few years prior he gave up two 2nd round picks for Shaw. One of which became Debrincat. Don't know if him recouping some lost value after the fact is a "win" for him.

Dallas Stars acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Dallas_Stars.gif
Alex Auld
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 8, 2009
2010 6th round pick (#178-Mark Stone)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Was it one of the biggest steals in history?

The Stars traded a 6th round pick. The cost to them is only a pick

That trade turned out really great for Ottawa because they made the best possible out of a 6th round pick, which always have little value on the market.

Same thing with the Shaw trade, the fact that the Hawks drafted DeBrincat has nothing to do with the Habs

The value when the Habs acquired Shaw was two 2nd round picks. They traded him back to Chicago for a 2nd and a 3rd...basically cost nothing for a 3 years rental, Shaw was an useful player when healthy

Note : I don't really asses trades as wins or losses. I used good/great instead, you don't have to "win" a trade for it to work out for you. Teams usually try to achieve different things while trading

Reactions: majormajor

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dallas Stars acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Dallas_Stars.gif
Alex Auld
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 8, 2009
2010 6th round pick (#178-Mark Stone)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Was it one of the biggest steals in history?

The Stars traded a 6th round pick. The cost to them is only a pick

That trade turned out really great for Ottawa because they made the best possible out of a 6th round pick, which always have little value on the market.

Same thing with the Shaw trade, the fact that the Hawks drafted DeBrincat has nothing to do with the Habs

The value when the Habs acquired Shaw was two 2nd round picks. They traded him back to Chicago for a 2nd and a 3rd...basically cost nothing for a 3 years rental, Shaw was an useful player when healthy

Note : I don't really asses trades as wins or losses. I used good/great instead, you don't have to "win" a trade for it to work out for you. Teams usually try to achieve different things while trading
You seem to have glossed over the actual point - Bergevin effectively traded two 2nd round picks for a 2nd + 3rd round pick. Your condescending response doesn't change that. Shaw didn't do anything for the Habs and to suggest otherwise is wrong. He was a filler. That's it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You seem to have glossed over the actual point - Bergevin effectively traded two 2nd round picks for a 2nd + 3rd round pick. Your condescending response doesn't change that. Shaw didn't do anything for the Habs and to suggest otherwise is wrong. He was a filler. That's it.

Wait... Did you really say my response was condescending? lol my response was entirely rational.

Note : And Shaw had 19 goals 47 pts in 63 games for the Habs in 2018-19, which kinda restored his market value.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fine, but theyre not good yet last I checked, and may not be for a few more years or more...

Sanderson was another high pick and they gave away what couldve been Makar in the awful Duchene deal. Dorion's made some fine picks with the likes of: Batherson, Formenton, Pinto, Bernard-Docker, but Im not putting Dorion on any pedestal yet. I mean 2 years ago we were saying hes the worst GM in hockey.

Well, I voted Dorion in the "worse GM" poll. He still does too many moves that blows up in his face, sometimes you can easily see it coming (like Stepan for a 2nd round pick). One of the main traits required to be a good manager (not just in sports) is foresight

That being said, the Sens drafting and development is top notch and it has been for most drafts since Bryan Murray revamped the scouting department in 2007 (their first real draft was 2008 and their firt pick was Erik Karlsson at 15th OA). There's a guy named Trent Mann who was brought by Murray in 2011 and is now the Chief Amateur Scout

It's basically the only reason why the Sens have a promising future and probably not ownership and/or management. Several of the promising young players were acquired thanks to those previously drafted assets (most notable example : Erik Karlsson returned Tim Stutzle, Josh Norris, Mads Sogaard...)

All that being said, not sure what you meant by "they gave away what couldve been Makar in the awful Duchene deal."

Duchene was acquired at the beginning of 2017-18, so just a few months after the 2017 playoffs run to the ECF. He was designed to be an upgrade on Kyle Turris (which he was) but the team fell apart for several reasons so Melnyk decided he wanted a full rebuild instead of paying players who needed long term contracts. The 1st round pick ended up much higher than they anticipated, but they had the choice to give the 2018 or 2019 pick. They decided to draft Tkachuk in 2018 so the pick delayed to 2019 where the Avs picked Bowen Byram

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Well, I voted Dorion in the "worse GM" poll. He still does too many moves that blows up in his face, sometimes you can easily see it coming (like Stepan for a 2nd round pick). One of the main traits required to be a good manager (not just in sports) is foresight

That being said, the Sens drafting and development is top notch and it has been for most drafts since Bryan Murray revamped the scouting department in 2007 (their first real draft was 2008 and their firt pick was Erik Karlsson at 15th OA). There's a guy named Trent Mann who was brought by Murray in 2011 and is now the Chief Amateur Scout

It's basically the only reason why the Sens have a promising future and probably not ownership and/or management. Several of the promising young players were acquired thanks to those previously drafted assets (most notable example : Erik Karlsson returned Tim Stutzle, Josh Norris, Mads Sogaard...)

All that being said, not sure what you meant by "they gave away what couldve been Makar in the awful Duchene deal."

Duchene was acquired at the beginning of 2017-18, so just a few months after the 2017 playoffs run to the ECF. He was designed to be an upgrade on Kyle Turris (which he was) but the team fell apart for several reasons so Melnyk decided he wanted a full rebuild instead of paying players who needed long term contracts. The 1st round pick ended up much higher than they anticipated, but they had the choice to give the 2018 or 2019 pick. They decided to draft Tkachuk in 2018 so the pick delayed to 2019 where the Avs picked Bowen Byram
meant Byram, not Makar.... was a horrible deal considering they never even re-signed Duchene, and even if they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad