• Dubas - TOR

• McCrimmon - VGK

• MacLellan - WSH

• Cheveldayoff - WPG

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Am I losing my mind or does Sakic only have 18.3% of the votes? Was he not active enough or something?

This is GM of the year award for 2021. The Avs were already a juggernaut coming into the year.

The best GM is Zito because he took a mess and now has them halfway towards a powerhouse. He didn't sign any bad deals or trade away futures to do it either. Just incredible pro scouting, nothing else.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wait... Did you really say my response was condescending? lol my response was entirely rational.

Note : And Shaw had 19 goals 47 pts in 63 games for the Habs in 2018-19, which kinda restored his market value.
Absolutely it was. And yet they traded him for a loss. He was a bad acquisition then and even still after they recouped some value.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The other awards are voted at the end of the reg season, but the GM of the year award is voted after the 2nd round is over.

See:

This

NHL Records

and

Islanders' Lou Lamoriello Wins Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award Sports - Mr Shades Media

There is a reason why all the other awards are announced irrespectively to the playoffs situation, whereas the Jim Gregory award can only be announced after the 2nd round is over. In the link below, they give specific dates announcement for all the awards except for the Jim Gregory, which only gets "announced following the second round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs".

NHL Awards finalists to be revealed daily starting June 1

Ok but their website literally says this

Voting is conducted among the 31 team general managers and a panel of five NHL executives and five media members at the conclusion of the regular season.

Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Winners

Regardless I dont believe playoffs are supposed to be taken into consideration, much like the other awards.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
meant Byram, not Makar.... was a horrible deal considering they never even re-signed Duchene, and even if they did.

Yeah but by the time they could have extended Duchene, it was not worth it anymore as the owner had already decided to go full rebuild. We were not sure of the rebuild amplitude but looks Melnyk wanted to do 100% as NONE of the players from the 2017 run was still there after 2019-20

The trade could have turned out good/fine IF the team didn't fell apart. They drafted 28th OA the season before so even if they didn't make the final four again but just the playoffs, that pick wouldn't have been anywhere near a 4th OA pick. Turris wanted 6.0 x 7 years (IIRC), Ottawa rightfully didn't want to commit to that so they decided to trade him before he turned UFA. Getting Duchene was a clear upgrade. Bowers was the 28th OA pick from 2017 but one of the most underwhelming Sens pick in a while, not a very good piece IMO. And a 3rd round pick is just a 3rd. So in theory, the cost to upgrade Turris to a 2 years younger Duchene wasn't going to be that costly. They had one job : make the playoffs but they failed.

Like I said, Dorion make moves that often end up blowing up in his face. Turris to Duchene was a nice upgrade offensively, but (although limited by internal budget), the team lost Methot that season, Karlsson was coming off a surgery, MacArthur was done after his concussion issues. Ryan, Phaneuf, Anderson, Brassard further declined due to age/injuries. Nothing productive was done to offset any of that

Absolutely it was. And yet they traded him for a loss. He was a bad acquisition then and even still after they recouped some value.

When they say the world has gone super soft, this looks like a perfect example. I didn't realize that factual counter-arguments could be seen as "condescending". It's kinda perplexing to be honest.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Ok but their website literally says this

Regardless I dont believe playoffs are supposed to be taken into consideration, much like the other awards.
Much of the significant work a GM does is for the playoffs at the deadline. So I think it makes sense.

Last season 7 of the 8 teams that made the 2nd round were top 7 in voting (Sweeney the exception).... That's why I think Bergevin has the best chance considering the number of moves he did on top of making the semis as an underdog.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Much of the significant work a GM does is for the playoffs at the deadline. So I think it makes sense.

Last season 7 of the 8 teams that made the 2nd round were top 7 in voting (Sweeney the exception).... That's why I think Bergevin has the best chance considering the number of moves he did on top of making the semis as an underdog.

I disagree, a GM ca have an amazing off season / make great moves but what if come playoff time his goalie goes out in game 1 and they lose the series?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
How would they know that if voting is done at the end of the regular season?

"El Wrongo". After the 2nd round as I originally thought... They changed the rules last year since it made more sense.

Sunday, June 20
Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award (Voting for this award is conducted after the Second Round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The three finalists will be announced June 17.)

NHL.com Media Site

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"El Wrongo". After the 2nd round as I originally thought... They changed the rules last year since it made more sense.

Sunday, June 20
Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award (Voting for this award is conducted after the Second Round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The three finalists will be announced June 17.)

NHL.com Media Site

Voting is conducted among the 31 team general managers and a panel of five NHL executives and five media members at the conclusion of the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad