GDT: From Russia With Love: Flyers - Caps Get it on in DC

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Our 6 on 5 has been absolutely abysmal this season. Like not even close to scoring. Isn’t that another Forsythe special?

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
If Backstrom/Oshie/Wilson aren't sent packing to Hershey after this game, might as well forget ever winning under the OV era. Just focus on the goal chase. That's all every season will be from here on out.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Let’s be honest. Healthy Wilson was nothing special last season. Forcing a less than fit Wilson back into the lineup made more sense. As someone said, a conditioning and getting back Int’l rhythm stint would have made sense.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
It’s time for a call-up.
8FCD0E3C-5D62-4BE6-891E-4FF738585C96.jpeg

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The entire month of december was basically 150% effort by guys who didn't have a guaranteed roster spot. That was enough to get ovie to go on a tear while the 3rd and 4th lines were killing it along with a few of our defensemen. Look at the team now... absolutely horrendous effort.. and zero offense.

High tips and deflections don't work when you have 3 boat anchors who can't even fight for space and fall down at the slightest touch.

You have an interesting definition of horrendous effort. I didn't see them give up on any plays. If anything, I saw a lot of running around with very little direction or purpose. Guys were looking for the perfect shot and the Flyers didn't break down in the 1st and 2nd.

In the 3rd, Flyers boxed us out and we didn't get to the dangerous areas enough when we had possession. We took a ton of shots from the outside.

Only good thing I saw was the 2 vs 1 and breakaway chances, but we need to convert on those.

Let’s be honest. Healthy Wilson was nothing special last season. Forcing a less than fit Wilson back into the lineup made more sense. As someone said, a conditioning and getting back Int’l rhythm stint would have made sense.

He was pretty good last year, it was one of his best seasons in his career, what are you talking about?

Reactions: racingmoose

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
He to turn off Allan May when he credited the win to the Carter Hart show.

I know it’s a pipe dream.

Hart is doing well and starting to look like the goalie the Flyers thought they invested in. But yeah, I understand.

It sure was nice when our goal differential and win column was booming.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
You have an interesting definition of horrendous effort. I didn't see them give up on any plays. If anything, I saw a lot of running around with very little direction or purpose. Guys were looking for the perfect shot and the Flyers didn't break down in the 1st and 2nd.

Horrendous effort doesn't mean they didn't try, it means whatever effort they gave was horrendous. In all honesty Backstrom/Oshie's careers are about done at this point and Wilson looks like he's not that far behind them (maybe he just needs conditioning, but he can't even stay upright). I know it hurts to say it, but it is what it is. Watching younger players play with speed and skill in the month of december and then watching whatever these last two games were against a bottom feeder is night and day. This team basically looks like they've got Samsonov and Vanacek back there again and this was against a bottom feeder. Wanna bet this team loses most of their next 6 games? They're going to be playing some really fast teams in the next few games and you're gonna be here arguing they were just looking for the perfect shot or that the hit a couple posts (or that mantha had another breakaway he didn't convert on).

ov/backstrom/oshie/wilson/eller are just too many slow players for one team to carry and it's bringing this entire team down, just like last year. Imagine if Carlson was still back there with these fellow rofl what a mess that would be.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

In the 3rd, Flyers boxed us out and we didn't get to the dangerous areas enough when we had possession. We took a ton of shots from the outside.

Only good thing I saw was the 2 vs 1 and breakaway chances, but we need to convert on those.

He was pretty good last year, it was one of his best seasons in his career, what are you talking about?
He was opportunistic last season, we’ve seen guys like Sonny Milano do the same thing. Had the feel of a career year where everything went right for him. He didn’t drive play, not a very good possession player, and his forecheck was meh given his reputation for being fierce. As I said, he’s a good player but nothing special. His strength is versatility, you can use one player on the PK, PP, and get reasonable offensive production from him. Nicky’s hands could net him assists playing on gimpy hips. Wilson does nothing well enough to compensate for playing at 70%. He’s well below average out there right now.

• Wow
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Horrendous effort doesn't mean they didn't try, it means whatever effort they gave was horrendous. In all honesty Backstrom/Oshie's careers are about done at this point and Wilson looks like he's not that far behind them (maybe he just needs conditioning, but he can't even stay upright). I know it hurts to say it, but it is what it is. Watching younger players play with speed and skill in the month of december and then watching whatever these last two games were against a bottom feeder is night and day. This team basically looks like they've got Samsonov and Vanacek back there again and this was against a bottom feeder. Wanna bet this team loses most of their next 6 games? They're going to be playing some really fast teams in the next few games and you're gonna be here arguing they were just looking for the perfect shot or that the hit a couple posts (or that mantha had another breakaway he didn't convert on).

ov/backstrom/oshie/wilson/eller are just too many slow players for one team to carry and it's bringing this entire team down, just like last year. Imagine if Carlson was still back there with these fellow rofl what a mess that would be.

Who are these young players playing with speed and skill forced out of the lineup to make room for the vets? The only one I can think of that should never be sitting is Strome, but that's it.

As for Backstrom and Wilson, give them some time. They just came back from major procedures and 8 months of absence. Other guys had a full training camp and 40 games to get in their groove. Should we be expecting prime Backstrom and Oshie from now on, or even half of that? Of course not. I'm confident Wilson will find his game again.

As for the next 6 games, I'll take that bet. We have NYI, Arizona, Colorado, Minny, VGK and Pittsburgh coming up. We can get at least 3 out of 6 there.

Reactions: racingmoose

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Who are these young players playing with speed and skill forced out of the lineup to make room for the vets? The only one I can think of that should never be sitting is Strome, but that's it.

As for Backstrom and Wilson, give them some time. They just came back from major procedures and 8 months of absence. Other guys had a full training camp and 40 games to get in their groove. Should we be expecting prime Backstrom and Oshie from now on, or even half of that? Of course not. I'm confident Wilson will find his game again.

As for the next 6 games, I'll take that bet. We have NYI, Arizona, Colorado, Minny, VGK and Pittsburgh coming up. We can get at least 3 out of 6 there.
3of 6 against those opponents not going to cut it for playoffs. Already pissed away 4 points to Flyers.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
3of 6 against those opponents not going to cut it for playoffs. Already pissed away 4 points to Flyers.

Two of these games are against our direct competition for the final playoff spots. We really need to focus on the NYI and Pittsburgh games mainly. It's regrettable to have lost all 4 points against the Flyers, but it's in the past and there's nothing we can do about it anymore.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Protas/Snively/Strome/NAK. All are much better players than Backstrom/Oshie/Wilson.

No matter how much time you give Backstrom/Oshie/Wilson, they're not getting any faster or younger, they are what they are. They shouldn't be "finding" their game on an NHL team that was rolling its way to the top of the standings. They should be in Hershey. Wilson couldn't even stay upright most of the game today and Backstrom was literally giving up the puck the moment he felt pressure. Oshie on the other hand was just awful. These three should not be playing on any NHL team individually... let alone together. It's one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.

They will not win 3 of their next 6 if Backstrom/Wilson/Oshie end up playing again. More like 1 of their next 6. They'll get pummeled by the Wild/Isles/Pens/Vegas/Colorado. Unless Protas/Strome/NAK make it back into the lineup, there's literally no chance against those teams. Maybe we'd get lucky and some of those teams might decide to get collectively snakebitten, but a team with Ov/Eller/Oshie/Backstrom/Wilson aren't remotely good enough to beat those teams consistently.

All three should have started in hershey and then plugged into the lineup one by one as the season went on. There is no upside to having all three playing together at this moment other than to get shot straight down the standings into the cellar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad