Dreger: Frolik to be moved at draft or free agency

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I am and always have been a Small Pauly fan. I was extremely upset when Montreal got him for nothing. But there is no way you can say he is better than Frolik. Different players with different styles. From an all round game view, I would say Frolik has a higher skill level.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Is Bennett really gonna cost that much? I might let him walk for over $3 million.
I would prefer him at 2.5 but I have recently bought into some offer sheet talk. Hes clearly worth a 2nd and someone with room might take a chance at a higher yearly aav to see if he blossoms, but if not he would still be a reasonable 3rd line player with playoff upside. 3.5 is something I could see another team offering.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Frolik is 6th among forwards in SAT% over the last three years. Only behind Bergeron, Marchand, M. Tkachuk, Gallagher, and Jordan Staal. He's terrific defensively and a very versatile winger. Can really play him just about anywhere in your lineup. Offensively he's good not great, was definitely the weakest player offensively in Calgary's top 6 last year but that was a strong top 6.

He's been a fantastic signing to insulate some of the youth through our rebuild. Backlund and him have been great for Tkachuk's development. Probably the best motor on the team among forwards. Will be sad to see him go if that is what happens but 2RW could use an upgrade production wise.

Anybody thinking Calgary needs to add a sweetener in the form of a pick or prospect to offload him as a cap casualty is either trolling or has a very poor conception of player value.

So, you're trying to say Frolik is better than Byron by using shot attempts ?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Frolik is really a very useful player in the middle-six. He brings pretty good production for the minutes he plays, impressive two-way value, and some PK utility. At his contract, he's good value.

He'd be a good add for a team in need of decent forward depth.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Past 3 seasons:

Frolik: 103 points, 217 games

Byron: 109 points, 219 games

Pretty damn comparable, considering Byron made 1/4 of Frolik's salary over this time, I think it is a pretty easy decision
Quiet.Stats mean nothing.:sarcasm:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You are wrong...different type of players, Frolik is better than Byron in most aspects except speed and maybe goal scoring which neither are good at consistently.
What's Frolik actually better at?
We already know Byron is faster ,Better scorer.
Also Byron is better on the PK
Is also younger and on a much better contract.

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Seems like he'd be the perfect 3RW in Florida. Given his history with that organization and the fact Tallon is still the GM.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What's Frolik actually better at?
We already know Byron is faster ,Better scorer.
Also Byron is better on the PK
Is also younger and on a much better contract.

Hockey?

Faster doesnt mean everything. Mason Raymond was very fast

No Byron is not better at PK
Byron is only one year younger. It may appears he is younger because he is a slow starter
Better scorer? Arguable. Frolik had better years BTW.

Bottom line is neither is clearly better than the other. Do not make Byron sounds like some freaking superior just because he plays with inferior players.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyShehan

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Can you see Anderson going the other way? Or is Mike Smith coming back?

Anderson @ 3M for Frolik @ 4.3?

Calgary gets a vet goalie who can play 30-40 games with Rittich.

Ottawa has way too many goalies, and could use a vet to play in their young/bad top 6. He'd probably fetch a mid round pick as a rental at the deadline when we're ready to bring a prospect or two up and complete the tank.

Who adds?

Ott does, I'd say a mid pick 4th/3rd 20 depending if Frolik cracks 40 points? Calgary adds a 6th-4th depending on games played ? Plays under 20 it's a 6th, 21-30 game played it's a 5th, above 31 games you get a 4th? All picks being discussed are 2020's

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Ott does, I'd say a mid pick 4th/3rd 20 depending if Frolik cracks 40 points? Calgary adds a 6th-4th depending on games played ? Plays under 20 it's a 6th, 21-30 game played it's a 5th, above 31 games you get a 4th? All picks being discussed are 2020's
I like that idea. Although I'd say Anderson playing over 31 games should definitely be worth more than Frolik hitting 40 points.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Cheaper is not better except if you are cheap.
giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Someone like Bernhardt could be that guy. Former WJC player. 21 years old playing top 4 minutes in SHL.

What is his value and are the odds he comes to NA? He doesn't wow me or anything, but I think guys like him are kinda in the right range. He kinda reminds me of Lerby who we signed as a FA and will come over in 2020.

What's his play style? I can't seem to get a read on what he is supposed to be but I'm feeling Jokkipakka vibes from him.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Meh, its only one year, but $4.3M cap hit is still a bit pricey for my liking. Still think Yzerman's going to try to sign a lower tier RW in FA for cheap. If he comes up empty there, I can see Frolik being an option. After Mantha, we're pretty bare on the right side.

I'd also prefer a right hand shot. As of now, Glendening is our only signed right shot forward.

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
no first? keep him.
Ah, the classic "What, you don't want to give us more than our (blank) is worth? Psh, no one else wants him anyways now add that (blank) in to get (blank)!" Dumbest shit that keeps popping up here. Fun fact, these deals are hypothetical and you saying we can keep Frolik means jack all when we A. Aren't actually making a deal, and B. there are other teams than yours in the league. Thanks for the attempt at devaluing players, though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He was apparently interested in Montreal in his last free agency stint. I dont really see the fit this time around.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Ah, the classic "What, you don't want to give us more than our (blank) is worth? Psh, no one else wants him anyways now add that (blank) in to get (blank)!" Dumbest **** that keeps popping up here. Fun fact, these deals are hypothetical and you saying we can keep Frolik means jack all when we A. Aren't actually making a deal, and B. there are other teams than yours in the league. Thanks for the attempt at devaluing players, though.
breath.

Reactions: Mazatt

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Habs fans sounding like Leafs fans... Anybody who seriously argue that Armia is a better option than Frolik on the third line has better come again and explain. Byron is a role player, a good one, and so is Frolik. But the latter is better defensively while putting up similar offensive numbers. Both add depth in case of injuries on the top 6. Again, Frolik's base cash salary for this coming year is 3M. 4.3 against the cap. Habs have plenty of room under the cap to make room for improvements. They can keep all these guys while acquiring Frolik for cheap. Should be a no-brainer for Bergevin, assuming Frolik wants to come here. If he does, I bet he plays a lot more top 9 minutes than both Armia and Lehkonen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad