News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois) -- Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
That's cause you can't rewind to where Barkov was after his age 21 season. And no, I'm saying Dubois busts out like Barkov from age 22 plus.

This is fact, not opinion: Difference from age 19-21 seasons are 0.68 pts/game vs 0.74 pts/game.

Nobody knows what Dubois's ceiling is at age 22. He could be topped out or he could have more room to grow yet. It's the same BS with Romanov narrative prior to him playing in the NHL. Some seem to think they can cap a player's potential while they are in development years and it's comical. Players develop at different rates and you really don't know until they are age 25 usually. Exceptions to the rule but the exception is not the rule. Sometimes you know more at age 23 and sometimes you know more at age 26. It's not an exact science. Are you going to say that Dubois is capped out as a 60 pts center at the age of 22?

It's getting carried out of the way now. I'm going back to the original point. I rather trade futures for PLD at age 22 with 4 RFA years vs trading a shit load of futures for Barkov who is UFA after 2 years and you have zero team control. People can make fun of that all they want

Some poster is going to twist this into me saying I think Dubois is better than Barkov now. Spins in full circles. It's a cap strategy and acquiring the younger player if you are going to trade a shit load of futures.
I get what you are saying, but Barkov is a point per game producing center for 3 seasons now, seems to be easier to coach and has a better all around game then PLD.

You prefer PLD and that's fine.

I prefer Barkov by a mile.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Who cares? With Dubois, Suzuki, Danault and Evans as a C-line, plus the depth on the wing we have, any money can coach this team and roll out four lines indiscriminately.

Fire the bum and promote Ducharme to the head coaching position. Say it's for health reasons...

Lol, didn't see that coming! We went from trade speculation to a new coach. That escalated quickly, haha.

The point I'm driving at, is that a PLD for KK swap is a "win now" type of swap, but only if the plan is that PLD becomes #1C otherwise, you might as well wait and hope on KK's development and save on cap space and not give up further assets.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If they acquire PLD, what is Julien likely to do with the lines and allocation of minutes?
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Dubois-Toffoli
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

minutes is based on who’s on but essentially evenly distribute the minutes....Danault to never see PP time.....Dubois on second wave

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I blame Dubois for this mess. Torts is a tool as we all know but PLD has screwed up that locker room by telling his teammates he doesn't want to be there. If someone paid me 5 Million per season to play hockey I would STFU and play hockey.

Torts made PLD get in front of his teammates and tell them he didn’t want to be there. It wasn’t PLD who wanted to do that, it was Torts. PLD tried to do everything quietly in the off-season but the team let everything out to the media. Further, players talk and some have already said they won’t come back when they’re UFA. Don’t blame the victim here. The team obviously has some bad juju around it.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not liking what I'm seeing from KK so far, but it's very early of course. His skating is really awkward.
Well he’s 20 years old and already shown a huge amount of progress. He’s was always a player who needed 3-4 years from draft to come into his own. He’s definitely not a throw in in a trade.

Reactions: Habano and jaffy27

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Dubois-Toffoli
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

minutes is based on who’s on but essentially evenly distribute the minutes....Danault to never see PP time.....Dubois on second wave
why would PLD go 3rd line center.... not enough ice time for him

2nd at the very least

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Torts made PLD get in front of his teammates and tell them he didn’t want to be there. It wasn’t PLD who wanted to do that, it was Torts. PLD tried to do everything quietly in the off-season but the team let everything out to the media. Further, players talk and some have already said they won’t come back when they’re UFA. Don’t blame the victim here. The team obviously has some bad juju around it.
Torts is funny at a presser, but he is going to ruin this kid.

if fact , if it gets bad , PLD could just stay home till a trade is done

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
why would PLD go 3rd line center.... not enough ice time for him

2nd at the very least
There is no 3rd line....I just can’t put all the names on one line

I said they all share the ice evenly and whoever is hot gets the most minutes (top 9)

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Barzal and PLD are both on their bridge contracts aren't they? Brazal at 7 million and PLD at 5 million. Brazal's bridge is 3 years instead of 2 but both are still RFA's after this deal.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If Barzal got 7, PLD will get between 5.5 and 6

Only three years because of the pandemic, just to get 10M+ afterwards. I wouldn't want to sign an extension for only 3 years at the end of Dubois' current contract.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Bro. Have you been to Columbus?

I have.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
My issue about some of you wanting to trade the farm and roster players for PLD is there's a very real chance we lose both Danault and Tatar this summer, and there's also the expansion draft for Seattle on top of that. We would absolutely suffer next year as a result. People underestimate what Danault and Tatar bring to this team. Losing KK and Danault and gaining PLD makes the team worse, not better. The more I think about it, the more I say MB needs to stay the course for now, reevaluate at the deadline or next summer.

EDIT: If there's any way MB can sign one of Tatar and Danault while trading for PLD, then I'm more in favour. But this will be hard.
I don't see your logic here . It isn't worse if we trade for Dubois because it would be Suzuki/Dubois instead of Suzuki/KK . At that point Dubois is better then KK and i don't think that the decision of Danault will be based on witch one will be on the team. Let say we trade KK + Byron + draft choice for Dubois with 750000 $ retained salary, it doesn't make that much difference for the salaries mass

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Only three years because of the pandemic, just to get 10M+ afterwards. I wouldn't want to sign an extension for only 3 years at the end of Dubois' current contract.
Still, the gap between Barzal and PLD is huge and because of the lost revenue projections for this year (in the billions), expect a flatcap for years to come. I don't expect salaries to go back to where they were pre-pandemic for many years.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
There is no 3rd line....I just can’t put all the names on one line

I said they all share the ice evenly and whoever is hot gets the most minutes (top 9)

So, in this scenario, why wasn’t Dubois playing well enough to be put in the top 6? Why didn’t he get hot??

/ jk

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
For the first time in a long time , I' m quite happy if this trade doesn't come through or doesn't happen.

We should all take a moment to appreciate that.

KK for PLD 1 for 1 is not far off the mark..... PLD is 2 years older , he has proven more at this point yes......but a 61 points season.

Call me delusional but I think KK might have a higher ceiling than PLD, better hands on KK for sure , he didn't as many opportunity to showcase it but I think he could surpass Suzuki down the road (and PLD)

PLD is a frenchie , big , hits and does a lot of the things you want from a center. But don't be so quick to bet the house on this. He skates better than KK though I'll give him that.

Although , the draft next year does seem somewhat lackluster and with a covid year we might not have as much data on these kids as normal so, if there ever was a year to trade a 1st....... I suppose that would be the one wouldn't it.
Agree. I guess I'm delusional also :dunno:

Reactions: lou

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I blame Dubois for this mess. Torts is a tool as we all know but PLD has screwed up that locker room by telling his teammates he doesn't want to be there. If someone paid me 5 Million per season to play hockey I would STFU and play hockey.

Well they gave him 5 million basically cause he wanted to leave.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Dubois-Toffoli
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

Im sorry but if a trade were to be made with Dubois , Tatar would be playing with Dubois for sure and Lekhonen would end up with Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille