News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Here's the D's for next year so far.

Weber
Petry
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Mete
Juulsen
Reilly
Lernout
Valiev
Sklenicka
Moravcik
Bourque
Taormina

Bergevin also drafted 8 defenseman with his 13 picks he had in the last 2 drafts to add to this list.
And despites all of that....he's thinking about drafting another D and signing another D
Probably wants a D in exchange for Pacioretty too.

Like seriously....centers.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Timmins mentioned this is a draft class for defenceman. Would be very shocked if we don’t pick one. Seen lots of interesting opinions from posters on who they think the best ones are so it’ll be interesting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hunter isn't available until July 15th, or thereabouts .

True, but a team can hire him now to secure his services on July 15th. I don't think they prevented him from getting hired before July 15th. Only from providing his services to a third party before that date.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So... Chances are we won't be drafting the best player available? I'm not a fan of what I've been reading lately regarding the draft.

When it comes to this GM I'm torn. Against all decent etiquette I continue to call him an Idiot but I pray he proves me the fool and slams this off season out of the park. Since the season ended he has made a long string of off ice moves that range from good to great & not one fair or bad move so far but he does have a track record of following up good moves with brain dead ones. So we have to wait for the other shoe to drop

I really don't know what to expect in the next month or so. I'm hoping the last month or so has been a harbinger for the rest of the off season but I'm on pins and needles expecting one or more catastrophic moves.

Reactions: PhysicX

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If I'm Molson it's a dilemma, you start the season and there are two great available GM candidates with ties to us you really should go after hard, Julien Brisebois and Mark Hunter. Habs would be stupid to not go afrer them. Not stupid, insane.

Reactions: ottawa and Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Weber
Petry
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Mete
Juulsen
Reilly
Lernout
Valiev
Sklenicka
Moravcik
Bourque
Taormina

Bergevin also drafted 8 defenseman with his 13 picks he had in the last 2 drafts to add to this list.
And despites all of that....he's thinking about drafting another D and signing another D

Not that I disagree with you but this year there are some high-end defencemen, hence why I could understand the need or desire to draft one. I mean, reading those names doesn’t exactly inspire more with much confidence, but I do get your point.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Weber
Petry
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Mete
Juulsen
Reilly
Lernout
Valiev
Sklenicka
Moravcik
Bourque
Taormina

You're silly. Don't you know defencemen are better at playing center than centers. C'mon, man, where have you been? Look what he did with winger from Tampa Bay. Imagine what he can do with defensemen?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Weber
Petry
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Mete
Juulsen
Reilly
Lernout
Valiev
Sklenicka
Moravcik
Bourque
Taormina

good
good
shit
shit
shit
ahl
ahl
okay
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl

We are in deep shit

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ok . Can't see him going for a scout job though.

There aren't exactly a lot of GM positions he could vye for. I'm not even sure he'd be a top candidate, he's only been an assistant to the GM for a few years.

He could try for another assistant GM job where scouting is involved, which is where the Habs would come in.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If I'm Molson it's a dilemma, you start the season and there are two great available GM candidates with ties to us you really should go after hard, Julien Brisebois and Mark Hunter. Habs would be stupid to not go afrer them. Not stupid, insane.

When did Brisebois become available?

And forget Mark Hunter as GM. He doesn't parlez-vous. You forgot what happened the last time this organization put a uni-lingual person into a supposed position of power?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
When did Brisebois become available?

And forget Mark Hunter as GM. He doesn't parlez-vous. You forgot what happened the last time this organization put a uni-lingual person into a supposed position of power?

Brisebois would be let go if he was offered a higher position that he has now. And as far as Hunter, it's all about perception. The press would be more able to swallow it because he's a former Hab.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not that I disagree with you but this year there are some high-end defencemen, hence why I could understand the need or desire to draft one. I mean, reading those names doesn’t exactly inspire more with much confidence, but I do get your point.

The more I study this too 10 draft class, the more I understand why scouts and Timmins may be moving away from picking Zadina and trying to fill a position of need. It’s risky but it is what it is.

Reactions: sandviper

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Brisebois would be let go if he was offered a higher position that he has now. And as far as Hunter, it's all about perception. The press would be more able to swallow it because he's a former Hab.

A former Hab who didn't have the decency to try to learn the lingo when he was here before. That's how it's going to be spinned. And if I remember correctly at first the press didn't have much to say about Cunnyworth's promotion yet the fanatics were protesting outside the Bell Center. That spooked Geoff "I'm-going-to-take-your-money-with-better-hotdogs-and-not-better-hockey"Molson.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not sure what you mean, a stop gap is a temporary option while the kids learn. I recall that his value was around a first rounder at the deadline but CBJ wanted to keep him for their playoff run.

How many stop gap do we need? Johnson, Alzner, Schlemko, Benn. Add to this Reilly who is not really a kid anymore and at this rate the kids will graduate at 28.

We signed Lolzer and got Reilly. We should live or die with it. Put Reilly with Weber and Lolzner with Petry and put a kid on the 3rd pairing (the one who has the best camp). I really don't see the point of signing Johnson. He's not good defensively. He's not consistent offensively speaking. He's not the kind of guy you want the kids to learn from.

We need a 2nd dman (LH) and two top 6 centers. If we can't get those we should not do anything other than maybe adding a stop gap first line center on a short contract to replace Plekanec.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I don't care if he draft one with the 3rd overall, but let's stop there.
It's like it's the only thing on his mind.

good
good
ahl
ahl
okay
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl

We are in deep ****

Agreed, but signing Johnson won't help or improve anything.
At some point, he throws enough shit on the wall that at least one or two will eventually stick....
A broken clock is still right twice a day.

Would hope he would do the same to find some centers.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
good
good
ahl
ahl
okay
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl
ahl

We are in deep ****

Reilly being okay remains to be proven. Guy was offered to all teams last year and nobody wanted to pay which means nobody thought he could help in their top 6 including Buffalo. Personally i thought he was meh. Had a great start which is not uncommon when a player is traded but after that he was a meh 3rd pairing guy.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I wouldn't be upset with Dobson, either. But as for defensemen, I would prefer Hughes over everyone not named Dahlin.

I think Hughes was pretty solid playing with men but Dobson is just so solid on both end of the ice, I can't see Hughes having more potential then him honestly... He has some pretty good abilities but his numbers do not show...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
#3 is a great spot to trade down from this year, but you need to know that your guy is available or have a situation where you are equally happy with 2 players

It takes a certain finesse that MB hasn't demonstrated much of since Vanek.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Reilly being okay remains to be proven. Guy was offered to all teams last year and nobody wanted to pay which means nobody thought he could help in their top 6 including Buffalo. Personally i thought he was meh. Had a great start which is not uncommon when a player is traded but after that he was a meh 3rd pairing guy.

I mean for a 6th Def hes ''okay'' Better than Benn and Schlemko atleast.. even Alzner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad