News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Timmins mentioned this is a draft class for defenceman. Would be very shocked if we don’t pick one. Seen lots of interesting opinions from posters on who they think the best ones are so it’ll be interesting.

It is a very good class for D's and I wouldn't if we picked up two of them of the first two rounds.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He's not stopping much.

His offense has dried up and he sucks defensively. Guy should get 3 mill max, but will likely get around 5

4M for 4 years. Offense dried up because they slid him down the depth chart. He asked for a trade because of it and they turned a deaf ear towards him.

Johnson is a gamble, but at 31, he's not over-the-hill. Playing with Weber would insulate him against his weaker defense. He's physical -- something we can use -- but takes himself out of the play, sometimes, to make a hit.

Johnson with Weber and DeHaan with Petry would be good. Alzner with Juulsen on the 3rd pair as Mete gets some seasoning in Laval. That only leaves Schlemko and Benn to dispose of, and getting rid of both should be quite doable.

At 27, deHaan is a good skater that can move the puck and is defensively reliable, enough to compensate for Petry's recurring brain farts and allow the RD to play an offensive role with less blowback.

It would be decent stop gap with MON picking good Ds this year and Brook, Fleury, Mete and Juulsen still developing at different levels.

I believe that a D of:

Johnson - Weber
DeHaan - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

would be vastly better than what we had last year as soon as Weber got injured, which was almost right away at the start of the season.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
4M for 4 years. Offense dried up because they slid him down the depth chart. He asked for a trade because of it and they turned a deaf ear towards him.

Johnson is a gamble, but at 31, he's not over-the-hill. Playing with Weber would insulate him against his weaker defense. He's physical -- something we can use -- but takes himself out of the play, sometimes, to make a hit.

Johnson with Weber and DeHaan with Petry would be good. Alzner with Juulsen on the 3rd pair as Mete gets some seasoning in Laval. That only leaves Schlemko and Benn to dispose of, and getting rid of both should be quite doable.

At 27, deHaan is a good skater that can move the puck and is defensively reliable, enough to compensate for Petry's recurring brain farts and allow the RD to play an offensive role with less blowback.

It would be decent stop gap with MON picking good Ds this year and Brook, Fleury, Mete and Juulsen still developing at different levels.

I believe that a D of:

Johnson - Weber
DeHaan - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

would be vastly better than what we had last year as soon as Weber got injured, which was almost right away at the start of the season.
Trust me Johnson is not a top 3 Def in the NHL anymore
Hes waste of salary cap

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not that I disagree with you but this year there are some high-end defencemen, hence why I could understand the need or desire to draft one. I mean, reading those names doesn’t exactly inspire more with much confidence, but I do get your point.

Yeah, I read the list and the first thought wasn't that we already have a ton of Ds, it went right to, "We really need to draft good Ds!"

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Dobson ? Yeah, I think so too.

I'd still like to see us trade the captain to get Kotkaniemi or Wahlstrom.

We’ll see. If Pacioretty brings in a blue chipper, that would be great. He’d just waste here likely.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Trust me Johnson is not a top 3 Def in the NHL anymore
Hes waste of salary cap

lol..If Benn can play in the top 4 ...Jack can hey??? ..lol

The other day when it was said the Habs was lookin for a top 4 D...i said I'm sure they got a eye on one who scores 5 goals a year.....lol well Jack did have 3 goals last year...lol

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
lol..If Benn can play in the top 4 ...Jack can hey??? ..lol

The other day when it was said the Habs was lookin for a top 4 D...i said I'm sure they got a eye on one who scores 5 goals a year.....lol well Jack did have 3 goals last year...lol

are u seriously saying that Right now?

Everyone know in the World that Benn is a 6/7th def , there is a reason why we sucked so hard this season because we have no def.

Dont compare a Def that played in his wrong position to make it good like Johnson

Johnson will be a waste of cap space

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Everyone know in the World that Benn is a 6/7th def , there is a reason why we sucked so hard this season because we have no def.

Dont compare a Def that played in his wrong position to make it good like Johnson

lol...i wish i wasnt ...but if they do get Johnson...yes i would fully expect him to be tried in the top 4.....you know it will happen

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
lol...i wish i wasnt ...but if they do get Johnson...yes i would fully expect him to be tried in the top 4.....you know it will happen

If Jack Johnson isn't really a top 4, why would they sign him? If they did, would it not be a strong indication that MB is continuing to get dubious recommendations from the same staffers that endorsed Alzner last year?

I don't recall the team having made changes to its pro scouting dept. since the Alzner signing.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Why would you smokescreen with Kotkaniemi and not Zadina? Could be wrong but don't think teams would trade all the way up to 3 for him.

My take is that it signals to other teams that trading up for Zadina is a possibility because Montreal could be open to trading down for another player. Otherwise, teams will just plan around Montreal drafting Zadina - IF he's the consensus 3rd overall pick and Montreal wants him, there is no way for teams to move up for him unless its a crazy overpayment.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If Jack Johnson isn't really a top 4, why would they sign him? If they did, would it not be a strong indication that MB is continuing to get dubious recommendations from the same staffers that endorsed Alzner last year?

I don't recall the team having made changes to its pro scouting dept. since the Alzner signing.

they are probally hoping the get the 2015 Jack Johnson....the one who is good on the powerplay....at any rate Johnson likely could put up lets say 18 to 35 pts.....which would be way ahead of many D walking the blueline in Montreal...

Jack grew up a big Habs fan... im sure he be Jacked to come play and fill his childhood dream...that might mean a good season...if the deal is cheapo enough , i say roll the dice..

Dale Weise was a Habs fan...played his best hockey here....sometimes players get extra spark when playing for there dream team...

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

So sign Johnson, play him out of his element, lose, and draft high again next year?

Sign me up!

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts was published earlier today. He had a few things regarding Montreal. Here is the link if you wish to read the entire thing: 31 Thoughts: Is Vegas thinking about re-visiting Erik Karlsson deal? - Sportsnet.ca

If Carolina decides to stay put, the draft starts with Montreal. GM Marc Bergevin is looking for centres and defencemen, telling anyone who will ask that the players they need are only available here.

We’ve all heard the rumours about his interest in Finnish centre Jesperi Kotkaniemi, but there are teams who believe he’s really interested in one of the top blue-liners. So he’s got everyone guessing, which is the idea. If Bergevin wishes, he can trade down a little and still get what he wants.

14. I do think Montreal is a stealth destination for unrestricted free-agent-to-be Jack Johnson.

15. There were reports Montreal began some preliminary discussions with
Max Pacioretty, who is one season away from unrestricted free agency. There’s a serious sense that those brief discussions are being prompted by other teams curious to hear what the winger is looking for on an extension.

A sign-and-trade makes a lot of sense for the Canadiens, too, as cost certainty makes him more valuable. Technically, he can’t sign a new contract until July 1, but there can be a “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” verbal agreement.

29. Mark Hunter, involved in almost as many rumours, has been linked to Detroit, Montreal and the Islanders. We’ll see. He’s (officially) unavailable until July 15.

13: Please don't take Bouchard or Zadina. Please. Just let this miserable f*** of a GM let his scouts do the picking.

14: NO GOD NO

15. Trade Patio-ready for EDM's 10th+ the Nuge or snag VAN's 7th.

29: Too smart to work for Marc

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
My take is that it signals to other teams that trading up for Zadina is a possibility because Montreal could be open to trading down for another player. Otherwise, teams will just plan around Montreal drafting Zadina - IF he's the consensus 3rd overall pick and Montreal wants him, there is no way for teams to move up for him unless its a crazy overpayment.
They could still sell the idea they're high on him but willing to listen for the right price. That still leaves the door open for a deal without openly revealing their level of interest for him.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
they are probally hoping the get the 2015 Jack Johnson....the one who is good on the powerplay....at any rate Johnson likely could put up lets say 18 to 35 pts.....which would be way ahead of many D walking the blueline in Montreal...

Jack grew up a big Habs fan... im sure he be Jacked to come play and fill his childhood dream...that might mean a good season...if the deal is cheapo enough , i say roll the dice..

Dale Weise was a Habs fan...played his best hockey here....sometimes players get extra spark when playing for there dream team...

I don't think point totals increase when you go from an offensively decent team to a mediocre one but hey he'll play 20-30 games with the MAN MOUNTAIN/DIAMOND IN DA RUFF until he gets injured again since he's 33 and on the step decline. What a bloody joke.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
I wouldn’t be upset per se, but I’d be disappointed with Dobson. I get why people may have concerns with Boqvist, who is my first choice, but if choosing a defenceman, Hughes is next on my list.

If they take a D it's 100% like bet every dollar you have it's Bouchard, which is colossally dumb.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

I believe that a D of:

Johnson - Weber
DeHaan - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

DeHaan>Johnson by a decent margin at this point and man that's a stinky D unit.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
DeHaan>Johnson by a decent margin at this point and man that's a stinky D unit.

remember how it was said Bergevin tried to trade for Emelin after he lost him?

I wonder if we see the return of the big E train?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad