Friedman: Friedman suggests that Demko might be available at TDL and Canucks will be extremely busy as sellers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Who?

Even when he was playing so called "amazingly" Demko was way to inconsistent to be a high end starter in NHL.
If I am not mistaken, in the previous 2 seasons he let 4+ goals in about 40% of the games started. He was either amazing or terrible, no middle ground.

No mater how you look at it, a goalie who is solid in less that 60% of the starts and moreorless loses 40% of the games by himself, may me a good goalie, but it is not a high end goalie. Too much Jekyll and Hyde to be elite.
You’re claiming losses are entirely on goaltenders?
Top 5 in goalie point shares last season
Top 6 in quality starts last season
Top 5 in above replacement last season
Top 3 in even strength play last season

Mittelstadt is a replacement lev player and flat out sucks, and has sucked the entire time he has been in the NHL period.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Trolling or a humiliating degree of loud ignorance. It's like you've distilled the most irritating parts of hfboards into one post.
Just my honest evaluation as an outsider. Vancouver is better off keeping him, can't imagine anyone would be insane enough to pay what they would ask unless they take back dead cap weight

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Who?

Even when he was playing so called "amazingly" Demko was way to inconsistent to be a high end starter in NHL.
If I am not mistaken, in the previous 2 seasons he let 4+ goals in about 40% of the games started. He was either amazing or terrible, no middle ground.

No mater how you look at it, a goalie who is solid in less that 60% of the starts and moreorless loses 40% of the games by himself, may me a good goalie, but it is not a high end goalie. Too much Jekyll and Hyde to be elite.
I’m an Oiler fan who lives in Van. Demko is a top 7 goalie in this league for a long time.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Who?

Spoken like someone who’s never watched Demko, that assessment couldn’t be any further from wrong

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
For all the keyboard warriors on here, talking stats and saying Demko is anything but a franchise goalie, go watch the playoff series against Vegas in the bubble. The guy has had a crap defensive core and a poor system in front of him and has still been a stud. I know, I know, I am a Canucks fan. It isn’t true for all the players we have, but with Demko, he is way better than the numbers show and even watching the second half of last year would show you how good he is.
One playoff series does not make him a franchise goalie

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You’re claiming losses are entirely on goaltenders?
Top 5 in goalie point shares last season
Top 6 in quality starts last season
Top 5 in above replacement last season
Top 3 in even strength play last season

Mittelstadt is a replacement lev player and flat out sucks, and has sucked the entire time he has been in the NHL period.

One good season doesn’t make him great.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Boeser and Myers are available for trade? Holy moly, what a shocker!!!

When did that happen? Oh yeah. A few years ago. This is nothing new whatsoever. Of course Vancouver wants to be active and dump their many bad contracts. That franchise has been leaking that drivel for many many months.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Feb 19, 2018
If Demko goes think high end Goalie prospect coming back. Askarov, Wallstedt etc. Canucks would want another high end Goalie Prospect in the pipeline ready to work with Clark. Cossa might be liked due to sheer size and mobility, Clark loves those guys.
Also I’m not saying Cossa is in the same league as the other two, the add would obviously be more.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Lmao Newhook easily. For a signed Horvat Carolina gives up Jarvis as well if they're intelligent.

Makes sense to me.

He's in front of the worst defense in NHL history. Not sure what you expect out of him. He's been hurt most of the year too.
Not a chance Horvat gets both a 2023 1st + Newhook. That’s gross overpayment for a rental.

Avs would likely top out at the 2023 1st plus something like Jean Luc Foudy (~PPG in AHL). But Avs don’t really need a 2C. They need some healthy players from their existing roster.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lol. Worst defence in the history of the nhl? Exaggeration is your thing huh? Regardless. His goals saved above expected when playing well was only top 15 at best. This year he was literally one of the worst in the league. Bottom line is he’s a 27 year old goalie that had a couple solid seasons. . Last season was his best and he wasn’t remotely in the vezina conversation (he was tied for 7th with one 3rd place vote that was made by someone in Vancouver media).

He has a long injury history and only one season where he played enough games to be considered the true starter. Given the uncertainty over his current injury (no timeline on his return to action) and his piss poor play prior to his injury I doubt anyone trades for him right now. Let alone give up a windfall. Best thing Vancouver can do is hope he comes back and cam return to form
Well, no shit it's an exaggeration haha, it's still atrocious.

Not a chance Horvat gets both a 2023 1st + Newhook. That’s gross overpayment for a rental.

Avs would likely top out at the 2023 1st plus something like Jean Luc Foudy (~PPG in AHL). But Avs don’t really need a 2C. They need some healthy players from their existing roster.
Lmao that offer easily gets beat and its not even close.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Canucks will trade Schenn, Boeser, Horvat, Garland and even if they can Myers. Those are the 5 I see being traded. Demko will not be traded, I don't see why they would trade him when we have terrible goaltending without him and Silovs is not proven.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm on board with with not much happening. Proven incompetence over and over again. I would not be shocked if they don't even trade Horvat or Schenn and they walk in the summer.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"Hey there buddy GM, I have a franchise player available."

giphy.gif

"It's a franchise goalie."

200w.gif

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
If Demko goes think high end Goalie prospect coming back. Askarov, Wallstedt etc. Canucks would want another high end Goalie Prospect in the pipeline ready to work with Clark. Cossa might be liked due to sheer size and mobility, Clark loves those guys.
Also I’m not saying Cossa is in the same league as the other two, the add would obviously be more.
Canucks fans are delusional. My gosh wild aren't trading wallstedt under any circumstances especially for demko and his cap. Wild don't need a G

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He has seasons of being a franchise level goalie, it was one example. He carried the team last year with a D core that was the worst in the NHL and zero structure
He really doesn’t though. He’s had 2 seasons as the starter. And only in one of those did he even play enough games to really be considered the starter. In both of those his save percentage was .915. That is stunningly average. Yes. He played behind a bad team. But even if you look at the advanced stat that best factors in shot quality he’s still middle of the road.

He’s a good goalie. I’m not saying he is t. But he’s nowhere near a franchise level keeper

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
First off Mitts has been a sub par player until his season. He has been moved to the wing and has had better results. The Canucks don't need another 3rd line wing that doesn't really produce and is having a career year with 28 points. Jokiharju would be a decent add, but he has averaged under 20 minutes a night over his time in buffalo, a defensive starved team until this season. He's still young and I wouldn't be angry with him on the Canucks but he isn't really a minute eater as you say. In fact I don't know if he is an upgrade on Ethan Bear. If the Canucks are trading Demko, at least one piece coming back should have the potential to be a valuable piece, not more of what we already have, and clearly what we have hasn't been very successful.
Sabres fan from BC who watches a lot of both teams here.

Jokiharju is a good young, right-handed defenceman on an affordable contract who is not big, but very mobile and surprisingly good defending one-on-one. He breaks up a lot of offence with an excellent stick and is strong in both offensive and defensive transition.

He will engage but is not punishing by any means and will get overpowered in situations he can’t win in a quick strike fashion. He has some skill offensively because he is confident with the puckbut will never be leaned on for that on a good team.

He’s aggressive by nature - not in the sandpaper sense, or the all-offence sense, but in the sense that he’s always moving toward the play, closing gaps or trying to fire pucks through them. It often results in good breakouts and breakups, but it can also get him into trouble.

Dont let his career totals fool you, he’s capable of a lot of minutes and has piled up 20-24 minutes without wearing down on many occasions over the past 2 years. He kills penalties and you don’t have to shelter him. He’s a comfortable fit as a #4 on most good teams and has performed well in that role this year for the Sabres. He played a lot of first pairing minutes last year and got exposed at times, which, added to a lack of muscle or flash, made him a bit of a whipping boy for some Sabres fans. But he is a pretty good fit for the way the game is played today.

I’m pretty confident he fills quite a few needs for the Canucks - transition, modern defending, contract, position - and would probably be their best RH, although that’s not where you’d want to slot him. However, I think Demko is a legit #1 and would be hoping to get more than a 2nd-pairing D in return If I was shopping him. Besides, I have heard no indication that Jokiharju is available. We aren’t deep on D beyond the top 4 and Granato seems to love him.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Canucks fans are delusional. My gosh wild aren't trading wallstedt under any circumstances especially for demko and his cap. Wild don't need a G
Wallstedt is going to be ready about the same time that horrible Suter/Parise buyout cap comes down to a reasonable number. You don't trade an up and comer just to waste a few years of Demko.

Let Wallstedt develop and bring him up when you're better situated to build the team.

Wallstedt for Demko makes absolutely no sense for Minnesota

Demko would likely return something similar to what Schneider returned

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So they sign JT Miller, but the rest of their moves are selling off value for future hopefuls. How does that make sense? Why not just move Miller and anyone else who is wrecking that locker-room and keep the rest? I get that Horvat likely wants out at this point, but if you move Demko, then you are going to get an less good goalie for the current guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad