Friedman: Friedman suggests that Demko might be available at TDL and Canucks will be extremely busy as sellers

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
He really doesn’t though. He’s had 2 seasons as the starter. And only in one of those did he even play enough games to really be considered the starter. In both of those his save percentage was .915. That is stunningly average. Yes. He played behind a bad team. But even if you look at the advanced stat that best factors in shot quality he’s still middle of the road.

He’s a good goalie. I’m not saying he is t. But he’s nowhere near a franchise level keeper
So, I’m here telling you that the stats lie and you need to actually watch him play, and you double down on stats. I get the predilection with stats, but they don’t provide context at times and the context is that the defence jn front of him has been historically bad. Let me make the very very clear - the defence and structure jn front of him has been very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad, the worst I have ever seen bad. Okay, now to be even more specific, they have been very very very very very very very very very very very bad, with giving out cross ice passes deep in the zone and having defenders losing their guy low in front of the net. I don’t know a goalie that does well in those conditions.

So they sign JT Miller, but the rest of their moves are selling off value for future hopefuls. How does that make sense? Why not just move Miller and anyone else who is wrecking that locker-room and keep the rest? I get that Horvat likely wants out at this point, but if you move Demko, then you are going to get an less good goalie for the current guys.
It’s a legit question, I suspect that with all the losing they feel that Bo as a captain has not been able to hold others accountable and that Miller will due to the streak in him that appears to make him an ahole. Maybe they feel they have to much nice in the leadership and need more ahole.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
So, I’m here telling you that the stats lie and you need to actually watch him play, and you double down on stats. I get the predilection with stats, but they don’t provide context at times and the context is that the defence jn front of him has been historically bad. Let me make the very very clear - the defence and structure jn front of him has been very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad, the worst I have ever seen bad. Okay, now to be even more specific, they have been very very very very very very very very very very very bad, with giving out cross ice passes deep in the zone and having defenders losing their guy low in front of the net. I don’t know a goalie that does well in those conditions.

It’s a legit question, I suspect that with all the losing they feel that Bo as a captain has not been able to hold others accountable and that Miller will due to the streak in him that appears to make him an ahole. Maybe they feel they have to much nice in the leadership and need more ahole.
I watch almost every Canucks game. I’m well aware of all the factors. I stand by my statement that Demko’s reputation was cemented by and large by one playoff series. And while he’s a good goalie, he is not a franchise goalie.

Even last season, which was easily his best as a whole, he received almost zero consideration for the vezina. There’s a reason for that and it’s not eastern bias. Of all the western media that had votes he still only got a single 3rd place vote from one Vancouver based voter. That’s because in his best season he was still only the 10th-15th best goalie in the league.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Oh, sure. Now we're going to discuss selling off everyone and tanking instead of last year when we could have moved Miller and properly tanked this year for Bedard.

I swear this organization is so deluded it's sad. At least we may finally start a proper re-build but I'll believe it when I see it.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Canucks are going to clean house

Except Hughes, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lazar, OEL (cant trade anyways), Myers (ntc)

And the RFAs

Imo
Horvat, Garland, Boeser, Schenn are to be traded. But wouldnt be surprised if Miller, Demko are goners also

Canucks will try tank for local boy Bedard

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
V
Canucks are going to clean house

Except Hughes, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lazar, OEL (cant trade anyways), Myers (ntc)

And the RFAs

Imo
Horvat, Garland, Boeser, Schenn are to be traded. But wouldnt be surprised if Miller, Demko are goners also

Canucks will try tank for local boy Bedard

Schenn and Horvat are obvious deadline trades
I think Boesser, Pearson , myers are off season
Garland will be hard to move without retention
Miller is a big unknown
I don’t see Demko being moved tillsummer 2024.he’s injured so they just hold him out To tank.

thry only have 3 retentions. 2 are used on Horvat and Schenn leaving just 2 to use till july 1.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I watch almost every Canucks game. I’m well aware of all the factors. I stand by my statement that Demko’s reputation was cemented by and large by one playoff series. And while he’s a good goalie, he is not a franchise goalie.

Even last season, which was easily his best as a whole, he received almost zero consideration for the vezina. There’s a reason for that and it’s not eastern bias. Of all the western media that had votes he still only got a single 3rd place vote from one Vancouver based voter. That’s because in his best season he was still only the 10th-15th best goalie in the league.
I disagree, he is just outside the top 5.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Only if you ignore our defence and how many high danger opportunities we give up per game. He’s been better than Schneider, despite Schneider coming off a .936sv% due to playing on a contending team.

Maybe, but I don’t really care since they shouldn’t be in a rush to trade him unless the return is a slam dunk.
Well, the return will never ever be the slam dunk you want, because goalies don't go for that much. It's not a maybe it's a fact.

There is ZERO chance a team like LA would give up Byfield or Clarke alone, not to mention adding a 1st, that's not a slam dunk it's highway robbery and will never happen.

Lmao Newhook easily. For a signed Horvat Carolina gives up Jarvis as well if they're intelligent.

Makes sense to me.

He's in front of the worst defense in NHL history. Not sure what you expect out of him. He's been hurt most of the year too.
Then we don't trade Horvat to Colorado, they can't afford him, kind of like how they didn't re-sign Kadri for the same reason, so no, were not getting Newhook, based on that alone, maybe we could get Jarvis for a signed Horvat, but even that seems like a pipe dream, players like that rarely get traded.

Reactions: McJedi

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I was going to suggest Leafs offer Murray + 2nd rounder or B-prospect and it looks like I wasn't far off. Murray has a connection with Tocchet too!
Yes because a random fan from Washington totally sets the bar here........

No, that would be horrendous for the Canucks and no chance in hell it happens, it's f***ing laughable how much Demko is getting underrated here.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
It looks at the difficulty of the shot and whether the goalie “should” have saved it. It’s that simple. There’s no bias against Demko. The bottom line is he’s had a couple of good seasons but he’s not the goalie god some fans make him out to be. Add in his injury and surgery history and his current status and he has “damaged goods” written all over him.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Well, the return will never ever be the slam dunk you want, because goalies don't go for that much. It's not a maybe it's a fact.

There is ZERO chance a team like LA would give up Byfield or Clarke alone, not to mention adding a 1st, that's not a slam dunk it's highway robbery and will never happen.

Then we don't trade Horvat to Colorado, they can't afford him, kind of like how they didn't re-sign Kadri for the same reason, so no, were not getting Newhook, based on that alone, maybe we could get Jarvis for a signed Horvat, but even that seems like a pipe dream, players like that rarely get traded.
It depends on other factors. As an example, if LA needs to send Peterson back, that is easily a 1st to dump. That will guarantee a solid return. And Peterson will guarantee a couple bad seasons for high picks.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Sorry bro completely disagree with your assessment of last year. You def. didn't watch as many games as you claim or are a poor evaluator. He's been clutch for us...........I do agree I'm not sure he's a franchise goalie as he hasn't been as consistent or good for long enough stretches to say that. But he's shown enough that a team would definitely be optimistic (and feel relatively good) thinking that he could regain form and be that number one they are looking for.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
It depends on other factors. As an example, if LA needs to send Peterson back, that is easily a 1st to dump. That will guarantee a solid return. And Peterson will guarantee a couple bad seasons for high picks.
I love me some chaos, so I would love to see (and to be clear: do not think that we WILL):

To LAK:

Horvat (extended: either 56Mx7yr or 60Mx8yr for a >8M cap hit)
Demko (once healthy)
+ 2 useful depth contracts of minimal cap (Dries/Burroughs?)

To VAN:

Petersen (cap dump, rehabitable during retool?)
Iafallo (useful player, but need the space)
Vilardi (who is replaced by Horvat, who can play C and is a proven playoff performer, and they keep Byfield for crazy C depth if he does break out)
Kupari
Grans
'23 1st (lotto protected)
'24 conditional 3rd (2nd if LAK make '24 playoffs, 1st if LAK go to 3rd round or higher, so pick would be bottom-4 in the round)

Way too big / risky, but I really think there are a lot of pieces on either side that the other would covet, given their respective situations. Go easy on me! 😬

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I love me some chaos, so I would love to see (and to be clear: do not think that we WILL):

To LAK:

Horvat (extended: either 56Mx7yr or 60Mx8yr for a >8M cap hit)
Demko (once healthy)
+ 2 useful depth contracts of minimal cap (Dries/Burroughs?)

To VAN:

Petersen (cap dump, rehabitable during retool?)
Iafallo (useful player, but need the space)
Vilardi (who is replaced by Horvat, who can play C and is a proven playoff performer, and they keep Byfield for crazy C depth if he does break out)
Kupari
Grans
'23 1st (lotto protected)
'24 conditional 3rd (2nd if LAK make '24 playoffs, 1st if LAK go to 3rd round or higher, so pick would be bottom-4 in the round)

Way too big / risky, but I really think there are a lot of pieces on either side that the other would covet, given their respective situations. Go easy on me! 😬
Oh LA fans won't like this at all.

As a Van fan I take this and run. No way Horvat signs for less than 8 either.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well, no shit it's an exaggeration haha, it's still atrocious.

Lmao that offer easily gets beat and it’s not even close.
Do you realize Newhook is well on his way to a 20+ goal season without much PP time or playing top six. He’s one of the highest scoring 3rd liners in the NHL. He’s having a very good season. I’m sure Sakic is very pleased with Newhooks production this year.

A one season (points) wonder like Horvat didn’t even convince Vancouvers own GM to consider this season when offering Horvat a new contract extension. He very openly admitted this. Vancouvers GM said this. So why would another team pony up when his own GM isn’t buying the production as sustainable.

Dude is a rental. He’ll fetch a rental price. A 1st in a great draft and an A- young scoring forward is too high a price. And Vancouver won’t get it either. Especially with your lousy GM running things. He’ll do what he always does. Overplay his hand like he did with JT Miller.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
So this isn't speculation based on Demko wanting out, correct?

Catching up on the thread I was expecting to see some combination of
"between how they've handled injuries, Bruce, and likely Horvat"
Demko had had enough.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
"Maybe Demko , i never thought id say that but i think we are getting to that possibility too"
-Friedman on Demko getting traded

He also lists: Horvat, Boeser and Myers are likely done in Vancouver

Interesting with Demko though. Clearly he came back too soon this Fall from off season- surgery.

Canucks are not rushing him back to action.

Canucks are also very high on their AHL goalie in Arturs Silovs.

What would a Demko return be. A franchise goalie who is capable of stealing a series in the playoffs. In his prime at a very reasonable cap hit of 5 mil year for 3 more years after this one.

I'll believe it when I see it. Doubt we do much if anything at all at the TDL.

Reactions: Qwijibo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad