Speculation: Friedman speculates Laughton to Pittsburgh in a 3-team trade

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I doubt this.... but rumors seem to be that it’s expected to be a buyers market this year... nobody wants cap and few clubs want salary... it could make strange bedfellows.... i just doubt the flyers will knowingly trade to a team they are chasing in the playoff race...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Far from worse offer I will see but I would think Flyers would want a d prospect (especially if rhd)if all things were equal. For young center in the system Flyers all ready looking at
Frost
Patrick
Laczynski

Maybe the 3rd team is to find ED exempt d-man.

Tbh, if the teams were dealing directly, I don't think POJ would be off the table if Laughton came with an extension. Very unlikely scenario of course.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tbh, if the teams were dealing directly, I don't think POJ would be off the table if Laughton came with an extension. Very unlikely scenario of course.
POJ just isn't a "need" with the Flyers having Provy, Sanheim, Ghost, York, Zamula, Morin, Hagg as LHD

I 100% expect the Flyers to add an experienced RHD this offseason and could use a younger one as well.

Flyers should gather assets. like picks, for Laughton that can then be used in a package for that need.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
POJ just isn't a "need" with the Flyers having Provy, Sanheim, Ghost, York, Zamula, Morin, Hagg as LHD

I 100% expect the Flyers to add an experienced RHD this offseason and could use a younger one as well.

Oh right, if it needs to be a RHD then less useful, yeah.

Reactions: Tripod

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I doubt this.... but rumors seem to be that it’s expected to be a buyers market this year... nobody wants cap and few clubs want salary... it could make strange bedfellows.... i just doubt the flyers will knowingly trade to a team they are chasing in the playoff race...

they aren’t chasing the Pens. They were chasing the Bruins, and with one or two more losses, they are guaranteed to be missing the playoffs and will be sellers. If the Pens make the best offer, that will be offer they go with.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think this was the last trade between the two

Technically: 3rd rounder for the rights to Dan Hamhuis 11 years ago.
For actual players who played for either team: Kent Manderville for Billy Tibbetts. Hating Billy Tibbetts was just about the only thing Penguins & Flyers fans could agree upon. 19 years ago.

Either way it's not common.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Other than the history of Hextall with Philly, a guess at a possible Laughton to Pittsburgh is only a guess by Friedman. I don't take anything a GM says at 100% full face value, and I certainly don't take a rumor driver at 100% either.

It's nice to talk potential trades, but some like to use talk as absolutes.

I ask myself, does Laughton make the Pens a better team when healthy? Probably. Does he bring more than what they currently have? I don't think so. This seems more like piling up depth at the center position. I don't think he does anything particularly more than what they have, he isn't that "it" factor to say the Pens have become a true contender.

Some say he'd be like a Blake Coleman add for Tampa? Maybe.

I think the Pens need a difference maker, a guy other teams will have to actually account for. That doesn't scream, Laughton. Or worth giving a 1st or even a 2nd for. Coleman at least was a b2b 20+ goal scorer and that's a threat to take notice of. Maybe Laughton takes that step forward, but Tampa bought the threat as is and not a maybe. Neither are being the "Blake Coleman" of before the trade at the current moment.

Considering the Pens have a couple players the like of Laughton in Blueger and McCann and a lot of C depth behind them it would need to be a guy who's better than them at some key factor like PK and faceoff ability's on the PK, and Laughton is worse than what they currently have at a whopping (defensive zone PK faceoff percentage) 25.9%.

I don't like this as a must have pickup for the Pens. Glendening, is at 51.3% and makes much more sense for defensive zone PK faceoffs of an area the Pens are severely lacking and is closer to a 50/50 win ratio than the 30 % to 40%/70% to 60% they have been experiencing. Every PK starts with one in your defensive zone.

Make sense?

Nah. This does not make sense. Laughton is better than both by a good margin, especially in terms of his offensive ability. Both those guys are offensive black holes. Plus, you aren’t giving his Pk ability credit. He’s always been solid and probably their 3rd best Pk’er (on the wing).

pooch

May 30, 2017
Technically: 3rd rounder for the rights to Dan Hamhuis 11 years ago.
For actual players who played for either team: Kent Manderville for Billy Tibbetts. Hating Billy Tibbetts was just about the only thing Penguins & Flyers fans could agree upon. 19 years ago.

Either way it's not common.
Jesus....that Tibbetts trade was 19 years ago?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jesus....that Tibbetts trade was 19 years ago?

As of tomorrow...seems like yesterday he was throwing cheeseburgers at Mario and getting kicked off of 3 teams a year.

Kent Manderville may not have been much, but he wasn't Billy Tibbetts so I'll always have a soft spot for him :laugh:

I do not miss the era of truculence being so important that numerous teams gave a registered sex offender who couldn't play in Canada a "second chance" because he played like an escape convict.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wow... 15 goals in 2 games these kids started out rough had a good stretch Nd now look like they are fighting it again. Hence the inconsistent factm
A veteran G whether he dresses or not would do a world of good to help settle things down.
Do I need to point out next to nip playoff experience between the 2...
Another bad outing or 2 and what happens?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad