Speculation: Friedman speculates Laughton to Pittsburgh in a 3-team trade

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Don't see anything coming of this. Taking into account:

-The Pens having precious few futures to deal with and probably angling for a "hockey trade" (which would have its own perils among two division rivals)
-The rivalry meaning that a steep price would probably have to be exacted by Philly. Which it has to be if they're helping a mortal rival when they're trying to get competitive. Or a steep price paid by the Pens if a third team has to be involved.
-The Hextall factor, if there is any bad blood there
-If Laughton really does like Philly, and is just going to wander back there after the expansion draft as a UFA, then any big price paid will look even sillier by the Pens

Just alot of factors that would have to align perfectly. And as Sid the Kidney said, if the price is so steep the Flyers actually play ball, I'd be pissed. I like Laughton, and would love him on my team, but I dont think he's the kind of piece that is going to make the difference in going from a contender to a favorite.

Now, if Laughton wants to join this summer for free, potentially as a Blueger replacement, that would be awesome....but I'm not holding my breath.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Don't see anything coming of this. Taking into account:

-The Pens having precious few futures to deal with and probably angling for a "hockey trade" (which would have its own perils among two division rivals)
-The rivalry meaning that a steep price would probably have to be exacted by Philly. Which it has to be if they're helping a mortal rival when they're trying to get competitive. Or a steep price paid by the Pens if a third team has to be involved.
-The Hextall factor, if there is any bad blood there
-If Laughton really does like Philly, and is just going to wander back there after the expansion draft as a UFA, then any big price paid will look even sillier by the Pens

Just alot of factors that would have to align perfectly. And as Sid the Kidney said, if the price is so steep the Flyers actually play ball, I'd be pissed. I like Laughton, and would love him on my team, but I dont think he's the kind of piece that is going to make the difference in going from a contender to a favorite.

Now, if Laughton wants to join this summer for free, potentially as a Blueger replacement, that would be awesome....but I'm not holding my breath.

I figured the Hextall factor was why we were connected to this trade. He didn't draft Laughton but is definitely familiar. I doubt there's any bad blood whatsoever.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Friedman's speculation is as feeble as it comes.

He has hit on next to nothing this season. Putting the breaks on potential players from CBJ and NSH was so funny.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I figured the Hextall factor was why we were connected to this trade. He didn't draft Laughton but is definitely familiar. I doubt there's any bad blood whatsoever.
I was only basing that on all the stuff that came out after his firing saying Hextall was a bit micromanagey. I figured Hextall himself probably over it seeing as he's employed again, but I figured the Flyers brass are probably not too crazy about helping him out. Especially when he's improving his playoff team, while he sits in a rivals FO, as the Flyers slide out of the playoff picture.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hextall doesn’t trade prospects or picks. They have nothing else Philly would want.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I don't understand why a third team is needed just because it's Flyers / Pens. Like our front offices just don't like each other, and need an intermediary? We all know that's false. Do any fans actually think if Laughton spends 30 minutes as a Chicago Blackhawk, that the two teams didn't coordinate directly on this deal? If something like that actually DID happen, where a team traded a player in good faith who was immediately flipped to another team that team 1 didn't want to help, that intermediate GM would have just burned all trust around the league. It's not a good idea for future deals and future employment.

If there is a deal to be made, just make the deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't understand why a third team is needed just because it's Flyers / Pens. Like our front offices just don't like each other, and need an intermediary? We all know that's false. Do any fans actually think if Laughton spends 30 minutes as a Chicago Blackhawk, that the two teams didn't coordinate directly on this deal? If something like that actually DID happen, where a team traded a player in good faith who was immediately flipped to another team that team 1 didn't want to help, that intermediate GM would have just burned all trust around the league. It's not a good idea for future deals and future employment.

If there is a deal to be made, just make the deal.

I mean, I would guarantee that the Flyers organization isn't a big fan of Hextall considering what has come out after his firing.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Laughton is a fine player, but if the Pens add it should be a top6 wing.
Crosby
Malkin
Bluegar/McCann
Gaudreau/Jankowski/young players with little NHL experience

Pens don’t need a center.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
If Hextall pays a 1st to land Laughton, I want JR back as our GM.

Honestly, already want Chuck Fletcher fired as our GM. If he trades Laughton to the Pens for anything less than a 1st, just add it to another reason he should find a job elsewhere.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Crosby
Malkin
Bluegar/McCann

I mean, it’s not the obvious fit, PIT should go after someone like Hoffman, but Laughton would at least be functional at 2LW in a pinch.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Well I mean.....Laughton just won't be going to the Pens then. There are quite a few other teams that would like his services. So you have to outbid them.
Latest reports have him going to the pens actually.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Crosby
Malkin
Bluegar/McCann

After the last 2 games they need a goalie. Just a brutal showing by both. These young guys are so inconsistent

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Crosby
Malkin
Bluegar/McCann

Laughton is predominately a winger. He's probably not the absolute most ideal top 6 winger in the world, but he's pretty much a wing now.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Other than the history of Hextall with Philly, a guess at a possible Laughton to Pittsburgh is only a guess by Friedman. I don't take anything a GM says at 100% full face value, and I certainly don't take a rumor driver at 100% either.

It's nice to talk potential trades, but some like to use talk as absolutes.

I ask myself, does Laughton make the Pens a better team when healthy? Probably. Does he bring more than what they currently have? I don't think so. This seems more like piling up depth at the center position. I don't think he does anything particularly more than what they have, he isn't that "it" factor to say the Pens have become a true contender.

Some say he'd be like a Blake Coleman add for Tampa? Maybe.

I think the Pens need a difference maker, a guy other teams will have to actually account for. That doesn't scream, Laughton. Or worth giving a 1st or even a 2nd for. Coleman at least was a b2b 20+ goal scorer and that's a threat to take notice of. Maybe Laughton takes that step forward, but Tampa bought the threat as is and not a maybe. Neither are being the "Blake Coleman" of before the trade at the current moment.

Considering the Pens have a couple players the like of Laughton in Blueger and McCann and a lot of C depth behind them it would need to be a guy who's better than them at some key factor like PK and faceoff ability's on the PK, and Laughton is worse than what they currently have at a whopping (defensive zone PK faceoff percentage) 25.9%.

I don't like this as a must have pickup for the Pens. Glendening, is at 51.3% and makes much more sense for defensive zone PK faceoffs of an area the Pens are severely lacking and is closer to a 50/50 win ratio than the 30 % to 40%/70% to 60% they have been experiencing. Every PK starts with one in your defensive zone.

Make sense?

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad