Speculation: Friedman speculates Laughton to Pittsburgh in a 3-team trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I can't even begin to imagine how this would work. Even ignoring the Philly-Pittsburgh aspect, which I think can be mostly mitigated by having a 3rd team involved, how can the Penguins afford to pay assets that Philly would want for Laughton when Hextall has made it abundantly clear that he's not trading high picks or prospects?

The guys I think make sense as trade bait for the Penguins in this kind of deal are Zucker and Pettersson mainly, but I don't think they'll move Zucker right now and I don't think Pettersson has any value right now.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

I can't even begin to imagine how this would work. Even ignoring the Philly-Pittsburgh aspect, which I think can be mostly mitigated by having a 3rd team involved, how can the Penguins afford to pay assets that Philly would want for Laughton when Hextall has made it abundantly clear that he's not trading high picks or prospects?

The guys I think make sense as trade bait for the Penguins in this kind of deal are Zucker and Pettersson mainly, but I don't think they'll move Zucker right now and I don't think Pettersson has any value right now.

I get how Laughton would be a very good depth move for pens, but for what seems odd. I would think Flyers won't add a player they would keep in ED. Pens trade a d-man to third team, third team give flyers picks/prospects?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They made a 3-way deal in 2017 involving Streit, where Streit was sent to Tampa and then Tampa sent Streit to Pittsburgh. So it is possible.

Maybe that was a secret 3way that Philly wasn't aware was gonna happen where Tampa was playing mind games with them lol

Not too many deals in the NHL happen involving 3 teams so I hope it does!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get how Laughton would be a very good depth move for pens, but for what seems odd. I would think Flyers won't add a player they would keep in ED. Pens trade a d-man to third team, third team give flyers picks/prospects?

If that deal were to happen, I think it would be something like futures for Laughton with the plan/hope that they can recover those futures in the off-season with trading Zucker or someone else. If they can also get Laughton re-signed (I'd be willing to go with something crazy like the Tanev contract), it actually works out pretty well for them.

I threw out the scenario on the Penguins board where they traded a 2nd and a prospect for Laughton right now and then traded Zucker to someone for a cap dump and a 2nd at the draft. At that point, they paid only a prospect to rent Laughton, and if they can re-sign Laughton, it makes out even better for them.

So as an example, maybe it's something like:

-Angello and a 2nd to Philly for Laughton at the deadline, with some 3rd team involved to be the mediator
-Zucker to Minnesota for Rask and a 2nd at the draft

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer lurker

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Who is this worthless garbage hockey hound account. Repackaging Elliotte's "here's what I made up that might work for team" as a real rumour for clicks.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If that deal were to happen, I think it would be something like futures for Laughton with the plan/hope that they can recover those futures in the off-season with trading Zucker or someone else. If they can also get Laughton re-signed (I'd be willing to go with something crazy like the Tanev contract), it actually works out pretty well for them.

I threw out the scenario on the Penguins board where they traded a 2nd and a prospect for Laughton right now and then traded Zucker to someone for a cap dump and a 2nd at the draft. At that point, they paid only a prospect to rent Laughton, and if they can re-sign Laughton, it makes out even better for them.

So as an example, maybe it's something like:

-Angello and a 2nd to Philly for Laughton at the deadline, with some 3rd team involved to be the mediator
-Zucker to Minnesota for Rask and a 2nd at the draft
Far from worse offer I will see but I would think Flyers would want a d prospect (especially if rhd)if all things were equal. For young center in the system Flyers all ready looking at
Frost
Patrick
Laczynski

Maybe the 3rd team is to find ED exempt d-man.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't really get why Philly wouldn't trade with the Pens if it actually was the best offer they could get. Especially if it's for a player that's not exactly going to come back and haunt them for the next decade when they play each other.

I could understand Philly never, ever wanting to trade a guy like Couturier or Provorov to the Pens. But Laughton?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I don't really get why Philly wouldn't trade with the Pens if it actually was the best offer they could get. Especially if it's for a player that's not exactly going to come back and haunt them for the next decade when they play each other.

I could understand Philly never, ever wanting to trade a guy like Couturier or Provorov to the Pens. But Laughton?
If all offers are equal I get trading out of division/not with Hexy.

But if Pens offers is best bring it on.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Hey.....if it costs other teams a 1st to get Laughton, it'll cost the Pens a 1st +.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hey.....if it costs other teams a 1st to get Laughton, it'll cost the Pens a 1st +.

I still believe that when I see it...

With COVID-19 restrictions and limited opportunities to even form any type of chemistry on and off the ice, I would be shocked if the prices were anywhere near as high on deadline day as people on here assuming.
Then again teams seem to be very unsure about the value of draft picks in this weird year so maybe I am dead wrong.

But if I am a GM, I ain't paying a 1st for Laughton or basically anyone at this weird deadline...

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe that was a secret 3way that Philly wasn't aware was gonna happen where Tampa was playing mind games with them lol

Not too many deals in the NHL happen involving 3 teams so I hope it does!!
I like to imagine it as the passive aggressive bullshit from TV, where both sides "aren't speaking to each other" and constantly telling Tampa Bay, like, "well you tell Philly that I won't be doing it for more than a third round pick" and then they go "that's ridiculous! Tell them how petty they're being" and so on and Tampa's in the middle developing a migraine until they just do everything themselves, and the only thing it does is make both teams hate Tampa a little more.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Pittsburgh won't be making this trade.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
LOO no it won't....first of all they have no 1rst. Second hang tight and see.. pens are trading a D

Well I mean.....Laughton just won't be going to the Pens then. There are quite a few other teams that would like his services. So you have to outbid them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad