Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
it's hard to see CLB giving up anything of significance to acquire a stop gap center. Some team will want to dump a decent but not great center for cap purposes and CLB can pick up that player most likely. Struggling teams don't give up first round picks or top prospects just to stabilize the lineup.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Seth Jones and Pierre-Luc Dubois. Also Jonathan Marchessault and Jack Johnson. The former forced their way out of here with his prompting, and the latter started badmouthing the city and organization after they left with him as their agent. Werenski fired him and replaced him with another agent just before extending here.

It's not difficult to connect the dots from there.
To be fair, Jones didn't exactly 'force' his way out, he just said he was going to hit UFA (which he'd earned) after completing a six-year contract he'd signed here. That was also on the heels of pretty much the whole core blowing up (Panarin walking, PLD throwing a tantrum, Foligno/Savard getting moved at the deadline) – I don't blame him for wanting to hit the market and end up with a contender (even if that is hilariously not what ended up happening).

Marchessault was an undrafted free agent who wasn't even a full-time NHL player until like five years after he left the org, and Jack Johnson is Jack Johnson.

As for PLD… well, he is my most hated former Blue Jacket (more than Carter) so… yeah. I'd have some lingering resentment there too if I were Jarmo, but you can't just ice out a powerful agent like that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's early but Monahan seems to have recovered from his hip issues that were plaguing him. He has not looked out of place in the top 6 and is third in points on the Habs. We are debating on our board whether to flip him for another first or extend him due to his younger age.
Montreal should extend Monahan.

Last edited:
Reactions: thefutures

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The can sign Monahan in the summer. Wonder if Montreal would trade him for cheap or will they just wait till the trade deadline and hope they can get increased value

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Rookie HC + extremely young team doesn't seem like a good combo. I doubt getting someone stop gap C will have a big impact on the plethora of problems especially defensively that CBJ has.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To be fair, Jones didn't exactly 'force' his way out, he just said he was going to hit UFA (which he'd earned) after completing a six-year contract he'd signed here. That was also on the heels of pretty much the whole core blowing up (Panarin walking, PLD throwing a tantrum, Foligno/Savard getting moved at the deadline) – I don't blame him for wanting to hit the market and end up with a contender (even if that is hilariously not what ended up happening).

Marchessault was an undrafted free agent who wasn't even a full-time NHL player until like five years after he left the org, and Jack Johnson is Jack Johnson.

As for PLD… well, he is my most hated former Blue Jacket (more than Carter) so… yeah. I'd have some lingering resentment there too if I were Jarmo, but you can't just ice out a powerful agent like that.
Name a single Pat Brisson client in which Brisson hasn't caused major troubles with the Jackets when doing business here.

(Hint: there aren't any. The closest we've ever had to a normal relationship with him in negotiations was with Alex Wennberg, and even then he was being a dick at renegotiation time; it's just that that was the one time when his dickishness was within the error bars of any other organization-agent relationship.)

I don't want to freeze out anyone represented by Brisson. But Brisson has clearly chosen his path. He has decided he doesn't want his clients going to Columbus and staying. It doesn't matter whether or not we're interested; he is the one making that call. The only thing we can do in response is just not put ourselves in that situation again. As far as I'm concerned the Werenski situation clearly demonstrated that if a Brisson client wants to be able to stay here, the first step in making that happen is to no longer be a Brisson client.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
There is no quick fix at center and everything they've banked on this year (Sillinger taking a step forward for example) has backfired thus far. I highly doubt Toews would waive to come here as he'll rightfully want to go to a contender.

I think the Jackets will ride it out with a stacked draft class at center on the horizon and once again look to the offseason for a shorter term center fix via trade or free agency, among many other needed fixes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hockey "insiders" have mastered the art of saying nothing while drawing attention.

Nothing imminent, but this team may be looking to do something at some point, but they also may not.
Friedman is awful for stating the obvious without standing by what he says.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hockey "insiders" have mastered the art of saying nothing while drawing attention.

Nothing imminent, but this team may be looking to do something at some point, but they also may not.
I think, and you know, people are saying, many people are saying that teams are contemplating considering something at some point doing something.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There isn't, but it's not our choice to make. The guy has consistently f***ed us over with every single client of his we've gotten near. He made the call to go to war, so it's ultimately better for us to just not deal with him where possible so long as he maintains that attitude.

* * *​

Perhaps you can tell me, because last I checked this was a conversation about Pat Brisson.
I can tell you that Brisson probably wasn't conspiring with Panarin and Bob to get them to leave Columbus.

Probably.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Adam Henrique for Gus Nyqvist? Both coming off strong seasons but struggling out of the gate.

Henrique has been great in the faceoff circle for the past few years but has been bumped to the wing this season. He has an additional year on his deal at a slightly higher cap hit, so perhaps some retention would be necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad