Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree that they could use a Center until their young Centers are ready to play big minutes.

One guy they should consider is Toews. He’s older now yes, but I think if you give him Gaudreau and Laine for wingers, he will do just fine.

Toews only has 1 year left on his deal so that’s a plus. Obviously cap retention is needed. I could see something around Toews and 50-60% retained for Roslovic.
It's impossible to retain more than 50%, giving up Roslovic in the process does not particularly help our C situation, and Toews' agent is Pat Brisson so hell no.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's early but Monahan seems to have recovered from his hip issues that were plaguing him. He has not looked out of place in the top 6 and is third in points on the Habs. We are debating on our board whether to flip him for another first or extend him due to his younger age.
I suspect the cost to extend him will be too high given the risk his injury issues return.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
It's early but Monahan seems to have recovered from his hip issues that were plaguing him. He has not looked out of place in the top 6 and is third in points on the Habs. We are debating on our board whether to flip him for another first or extend him due to his younger age.

6 points in 10 games has him from taking a 1st to dump to acquiring a 1st for him? Dude, just be happy that your team managed to get paid to take on an overpaid, but decent player, that's a victory right there.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Hockey "insiders" have mastered the art of saying nothing while drawing attention.

Nothing imminent, but this team may be looking to do something at some point, but they also may not.
Uhh it’s there job? How is it Differnt then MLB, NBA, Soccer heck even Wallstreet insiders, politicians.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Might be looking for some help at C?

Columbus has had one of the worst center depths in the league since their inception. It's ok though, center is only the most important position.

Reactions: Cowumbus

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
May we interest you in a JT Miller with no retention? You can have him for free if ya want.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
6 points in 10 games has him from taking a 1st to dump to acquiring a 1st for him? Dude, just be happy that your team managed to get paid to take on an overpaid, but decent player, that's a victory right there.
While he still needs to prove he's healthy over a longer run, I could imagine him fetching a nice return at the deadline as a rental at 50% retention. A 1st wouldn't be out of the question, though with the '23 draft class being above average, maybe some teams will be reluctant.

But there's a world of difference between an injured player with a full year at a big AAV versus a healthy rental at 50% (and presumably Montreal also taking back some value through a current contract or a even a bad one to get a better return).

• Haha
Reactions: Szechwan

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I agree that they could use a Center until their young Centers are ready to play big minutes.

One guy they should consider is Toews. He’s older now yes, but I think if you give him Gaudreau and Laine for wingers, he will do just fine.

Toews only has 1 year left on his deal so that’s a plus. Obviously cap retention is needed. I could see something around Toews and 50-60% retained for Roslovic.

That would actually make a ton of sense, the fit is almost too perfect, yet I doubt many will take it seriously because of Toews' hockey acumen lately being dismissed for being $5M overpaid.

Of course, Toews has an NMC to waive.

But, him between Laine and Gaudreau, playing the "defensive" presence could be huge for the Jackets. And the ask from Chicago can't be that bad, they'll probably want some sort of future. As you suggest, perhaps a Roslovic would fit well? And since Columbus is the one most in need of doing the trade, maybe a sweetener like a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
While he still needs to prove he's healthy over a longer run, I could imagine him fetching a nice return at the deadline as a rental at 50% retention. A 1st wouldn't be out of the question, though with the '23 draft class being above average, maybe some teams will be reluctant.

But there's a world of difference between an injured player with a full year at a big AAV versus a healthy rental at 50% (and presumably Montreal also taking back some value through a current contract or a even a bad one to get a better return).

Unless you think he's going to be a point per game player up until that point (which seems unlikely to say the least as he's only hit that mark once), I'd say that it is. He'll return something (especially at 50%) as long as he keeps up the way he's going, but a 1st seems wildly optimistic.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What's the story around Brisson? He's the most powerful agent in the league. Refusing to do business with him seems like it'd be a disastrous proposition, no?
Seth Jones and Pierre-Luc Dubois. Also Jonathan Marchessault and Jack Johnson. The former forced their way out of here with his prompting, and the latter started badmouthing the city and organization after they left with him as their agent. Werenski fired him and replaced him with another agent just before extending here.

It's not difficult to connect the dots from there.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Seth Jones and Pierre-Luc Dubois. Also Jonathan Marchessault and Jack Johnson. The former forced their way out of here with his prompting, and the latter started badmouthing the city and organization after they left with him as their agent. Werenski fired him and replaced him with another agent just before extending here.

Damn. He's definitely aggressive but I'm not sure there's an advantage for Columbus to ice him out.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

And which dots connect to Panarin and Bobrovsky?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Damn. He's definitely aggressive but I'm not sure there's an advantage for Columbus to ice him out.
There isn't, but it's not our choice to make. The guy has consistently f***ed us over with every single client of his we've gotten near. He made the call to go to war, so it's ultimately better for us to just not deal with him where possible so long as he maintains that attitude.

* * *​
And which dots connect to Panarin and Bobrovsky?
Perhaps you can tell me, because last I checked this was a conversation about Pat Brisson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad