Speculation: Friedman: Canucks to chase high end UFA's?

Feb 19, 2018

Ericsson was coming off a 30/30 season with great chemistry with the twins in World championship play and Olympic chemistry. In no way possible was it a bad call and knowing our ownership was willing to pay for a last”haraaah” is nothing but a good sign.

Guy tanked and we are where we are but you can’t complain about ownership or desire to build a winner. At least spending to the cap is there!

Everyone at the time was on board due to the chemistry in international tournaments.

Just went sideways :(

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Now's not the time to be chasing expensive UFAs. 2022-23 is the offseason we should be preparing for. Best free agent pool in history as it stands.
By then Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser should be all in their prime, Demko and Hughes should be breaking out and hopefully some of our other (hopefully high) draft picks should be cracking the roster. Also the expansion draft will be sorted out and Luongo's recapture penalty will be dealt with.
Also, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Gudbranson will all be off the books. Edler and Tanev will probably be gone. If we budget properly and re-sign our young players to cap friendly deals then we should be able to go after 2-3 big names.

Some 2022-23 UFA's: Alex Barkov, Morgan Rielly, Seth Jones, Filip Forsberg, Hampus Lindholm, Johnny Gaudreau, Vincent Trochek, Rickard Rakell, Colton Parayko, Sean Couturier, John Klingberg, Mika Zibanajed, Mattias Ekholm, PK Subban, Nazem Kadri, Ondrej Palat, Phil Kessel, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin, Patrice Bergeron.

Imagine signing Morgan Rielly, Filip Forsberg and Hampus Lindholm in one off season? Possible if we play our cards right and be patient.

Give me some of that hopium that you’re smoking . 99 % of those players won’t even come
Close to being free agents

Feb 19, 2018
Just like everything else with Benning. Gee shucks, maybe it's just bad luck? Not a pattern or anything like that. No way.

At the time you were pumped just like any other actual fan.

World championship and Olympics he exclusively played with the twins and excelled

Feb 19, 2018
Just like everything else with Benning. Gee shucks, maybe it's just bad luck? Not a pattern or anything like that. No way.

So what’s your future crystal ball hold?

Can you predict the future? If you can please put you on our scouting team where we get Datsyuk in the 6th and Zetterberg it the 7th

I’ll hail to you

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
So what’s your future crystal ball hold?

Can you predict the future? If you can please put you on our scouting team where we get Datsyuk in the 6th and Zetterberg it the 7th

I’ll hail to you

Stop talking about drafting. Start talking about pro-scouting and roster building. Then we'll be on the same page. I'm on record that Benning/Weisbrod are slightly above average in terms of drafting and I have likely the same level of concern you'd have for most GMs in the league outside of the elite. They absolutely suck at everything else. That's the problem. You were talking about crappy FA signings and then suddenly jumped to drafting. Surprising.

Feb 19, 2018
Aw jeez shucks well we tried our best *shoulder shrug*

Daaaah I dunno guys i keep doing hard thinking and thigns just never seem to work out for ol' jim

Was a call 20 other teams would have jumped for joy at the time signing a top 3 free agent to a 6 million dollar deal.

Ferlund will make that in spades with zero 30 goal seasons.

He had ? Like 4/5?

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Ericsson was coming off a 30/30 season with great chemistry with the twins in World championship play and Olympic chemistry. In no way possible was it a bad call and knowing our ownership was willing to pay for a last”haraaah” is nothing but a good sign.

Guy tanked and we are where we are but you can’t complain about ownership or desire to build a winner. At least spending to the cap is there!

Everyone at the time was on board due to the chemistry in international tournaments.

Just went sideways :(

Huh?

Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league and were supposed to be rebuilding and yet they went out and signed a declining 30 year old to a six year deal

But sure spin it how you want to

Feb 19, 2018
Stop talking about drafting. Start talking about pro-scouting and roster building. Then we'll be on the same page. I'm on record that Benning/Weisbrod are slightly above average in terms of drafting and I have likely the same level of concern you'd have for most GMs in the league outside of the elite. They absolutely suck at everything else. That's the problem. You were talking about crappy FA signings and then suddenly jumped to drafting. Surprising.

Eriksson was a step forward at the time not backwards. Guy was a stud 30 goal top defensive winger going into that contract.

Feb 19, 2018
Huh?

Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league and were supposed to be rebuilding and yet they went out and signed a declining 30 year old to a six year deal

But sure spin it how you want to

We actually had loyalty and took in the twins word into perspective

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
At the time you were pumped just like any other actual fan.

World championship and Olympics he exclusively played with the twins and excelled

Everyone knew it was a terrible contract that would hurt the team on the upswing. How quickly he dropped off couldn’t be predicted but it was bound to happen over the course of his contract and it was always going to be looked at as a poor value signing

Feb 19, 2018
Everyone knew it was a terrible contract that would hurt the team on the upswing. How quickly he dropped off couldn’t be predicted but it was bound to happen over the course of his contract and it was always going to be looked at as a poor value signing

We came off a year of missing the playoffs against Calgary and thought there was a chance!

30 goals was 30 goals and the way he scored them was an easy translation with what we had.

That was a Daniel and Henrik last huraaaaah signing.

Didn’t work

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
They should go all-in on Karlsson first. Stone and Panarin should be chased but doubt they'll have even a remote chance for either.

If they can't land one of the above they should stand pat and look for deals for teams that might need to shed cap space.

They absolutely should not go after players like Myers or Ferland IMO.

Feb 19, 2018
So you’re a keyboard bandit, congratulations

Guy was a30 goal great defensive player off one of the best contracts in hockey off of Dallas.

Scored 30 for Boston and played with the twins in tournament play.

I’m nowhere near a fan but see the realization at the time of the signing

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, Eriksson signing was a bust from day 1. Not absolving Benning but I lay that one more on Aquilini and his desire to give the Sedins a boost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad