Speculation: Friedman: Canucks to chase high end UFA's?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman wonders if Canucks will chase high-end UFA

As part of a longer conversation on the Canucks, the Insider pondered what might be on the horizon for the franchise in the off-season.
“I am really curious to see a few months from now do the Canucks take a big swing in free agency,” said Friedman. “I think it’s something that they could be considering.
“Whatever happens, they had a better year this year probably in terms of staying in the race than a lot of us expected. And I know it’s a big tortoise race at the bottom of that Western Conference. But they’ve probably been more competitive than I think a lot of us thought.
“So now all of the sudden you’ve got Pettersson and he looks like he’s a franchise player. You’ve got a really improving Horvat. I think you’re wondering now what you’ve got in Markstrom. You’re looking at this run and saying, ‘What does this mean.’
“But I wonder if they’re going to be tempted to take a swing at one of the top free agents out there. I’m really curious about it. I’m not saying that anyone there has told me that, but I kind of wonder if the wheels are turning about going after a big fish this summer.
“And if that’s the case, you probably have to be very careful in what you do.”

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If they aren't real high end players (Panarin, Stone, Karlsson etc) Jim will gosh darn make sure he pays them like they are. Wouldn't be surpised if we throw mega contract offers to guys like Ferland, Gardiner, Eberle, or Tyler Myers.

Bingo. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they offer 6 years to ferland/myers, at terrible money too.

Reactions: Love

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Its pretty much a guarantee that benning will spend money. You just hope its on an actual difference maker rather than the usual crap he brings in. Id rather spend too much on an elite player than the alternative which is truly scary.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Until this team does something major with it's defense, its not going anywhere. If we don't get Karlsson, which is almost a foregone conclusion, there is nobody on the FA market who is really worth much...we're going to need to rely on Benning to make some trades, scary thought.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If you strike out on these top end UFA's, you save your cap space and try and make a run at Taylor Hall in the summer of 2020. But yeah fully expecting a Jake Gardnier and Michel Ferland summer.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Management has done this basically every year they've been in charge so I'll file this under: "No shit, Sherlock."

They've consistently failed to attract any marquee FAs, however, so I'll believe it when I see it. Pettersson might help a bit, but we aren't looking at a core like the Leafs here that's going to attract big fish.

So the logical conclusion to all this has already been noted by posters above: They'll give out absolutely top-tier contracts to mid-tier UFAs. Voilà c'est fini.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I honestly good with them taking a big swing, and that has nothing to do with it being smart.

I’d just rather get a high end player then blowing 10m on on 3 boarderline players like which seems to be our MO

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Pure speculation on his part. And it's mid Feb... let's see how it goes.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I am dubious about Benning's ability to effectively utilize our cap space due to previous UFA signings he has done. Whoever is in charge of their pro-scouting needs to be replaced.

Really hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: dwarf and B-rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad