Speculation: Friedman: Canucks to chase high end UFA's?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Petrovic would be another soild choice. Big, physical mentorship for the young guys. A poor man's Gudbranson. And a former Florida Panther.

member 290103

I am dubious about Benning's ability to effectively utilize our cap space due to previous UFA signings he has done. Whoever is in charge of their pro-scouting needs to be replaced.

Really hope he proves me wrong.

Isn't that Weisbrod?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
There are some pretty big game targets that any team with the cap space would be stupid not to chase.

If you miss out on those guys, the key is to go cheap instead of breaking the bank for middling 30 y/o forwards who are bound to fall off the map and become albatrosses as soon as next year, Simmonds, Zuccarello, and Ferland come to mind.

I have zero faith that they'll play this right.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
This. "Elite" level FA's simply don't sign in Vancouver...
messier_canucks.jpg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
They really need to see what they have and what to expect in October from MacEwen, Gaudette and Hughes. If those three show they can play regular minutes then it gets interesting:

UFA-Petersson-Boeser
Baertschi?-Horvat-Virtanen
Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte
Leivo/Goldobin

Edler-UFA
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Gudbranson
Biega

They are a top end left winger and a top end right side D away from being pretty competitive. But that's a lot to ask for.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Going after the truly elite, Karlsson & Stone, is what they should do.

Im scared they cap strap us with bad contracts to the aging UFAs and that combined with impending Luongo cap penalty could make us a ripe offersheet target in the near future.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If you strike out on these top end UFA's, you save your cap space and try and make a run at Taylor Hall in the summer of 2020. But yeah fully expecting a Jake Gardnier and Michel Ferland summer.

My predictions

Problem 1: We need RHD with size to offset the lack of depth on that side and the Hughes limited size. Preferable if they have scored a few points in the past as the current D core struggles in that area.

Problem 2: butter soft top 6. We need to go and get Lucic. oh wait.... Lucic but can still skate.

Solution 1 : Tyler Myers. $7m x 7 years.

Solution 2: Ferland $5.5m x 5 years

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm struggling to think of a single UFA Jimbo has signed who actually worked out. Beagle and Roussel have been decent this year, but not with the length of the terms on their contacts.

In the past three years the guy has shelled out ridiculous money and term to guys like Eriksson, Schaller, Del Zotto and Gagner. So even if Freidmann is right and the Canucks are 'big game hunting' in the UFA market, they'll blow it. It's a given.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm struggling to think of a single UFA Jimbo has signed who actually worked out. Beagle and Roussel have been decent this year, but not with the length of the terms on their contacts.

In the past three years the guy has shelled out ridiculous money and term to guys like Eriksson, Schaller, Del Zotto and Gagner. So even if Freidmann is right and the Canucks are 'big game hunting' in the UFA market, they'll blow it. It's a given.

You go to the shops to buy something that's 70% off, they are all sold out, you get sad and buy something that isn't on sale since have the money and you hope it will cheer you up. You get home and realise you are an idiot, you only went because the 70% off item was a bargain.

As much as this team could use a UFA upgrade, it isn't one piece away from a cup. If it misses it's main targets it doesn't have to spend the cash on whatever it can get, it can take another year if it wants to keep building. If the Canucks can't get what they want because it is sold out, my fear is they get into a bidding war with a dozen other teams that missed out for what is left.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Jimbo were to take the plunge on a UFA d-man and it meant the end of the line for Pouliot or Gudbranson, then I could live with the contract no matter how bad it was.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Going after the truly elite, Karlsson & Stone, is what they should do.

This is what I think they should do too. I think the team is better off overpaying to acquire high end guys who are true difference makers than overpaying for above average players who are good support players.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Most pressing need is a top 6 scoring winger and a quality defenseman. Not sure if Baertschi will remain with the club for the foreseeable future. Sutter is likely gone once his M-NTC kicks in on July 1st as Gaudette is younger & better. Pouliot, Granlund and Schaller will not be with the club next season. Hopefully they bury Gudbransson in the minors. That leaves....

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Stone
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte
Goldobin/Dahlen/MacEwen
(Goldy slots in for Baer)

Out: Sutter, Granlund, Schaller
In: top 6 winger (Stone, Panarin, Ferland)

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Hughes-Stralman
Juolevi- Biega
Brisebois-Woo

Out: Gudbransson, Pouliot
In: RHD (Stralman, Myers)

Karlsson & Stone (or Panarin) is a dream scenario; knowing Benning we probably sign Ferland & Stralman/Myers to horrible contracts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad