Post-Game Talk: FRI JAN 16 WASHINGTON NASHVILLE 8:00 PM - The Forsberg/Latta Show

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Tough way to lose, but we were due. Hadn't really played that we'll for big stretches of the previous 3 games, but when you're hot, you win in those situations. Bill for some sloppy play (covered up by Holtby) came due finally. Reset tonight boys.

Can't overlook soft play by Brouwer and Mojo not getting puck deep into Preds zone prior to Nisky brain fart

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Is this Dallas game really any bigger a game than it was before the Nashville game? I don't expect teams to win back end of two nights in a row with travel against a rested home team.

That they lost on the road to the team with the best record in the west doesn't prove anything negative about this team. Losing the very next night on the road again certainly won't either. I would expect the Dallas game to be a natural let down game to add to the travel and back to back.

on the bright side, it was a Niskanen goof that lead to the doom and while a shame its not a tail twister. Had it been Green this board would be in an uproar. Meanwhile 52 had two assists on the three goals and was not on the ice for a goal against again.

I say relax. don't do it.

Caps would open up on the road, against the Pens. Were the playoffs to start today.

I know-- you "like their chances" against everyone. Not me. Not yet.

YES-- they are much better than that flawed garbage we've been accustomed to over the past 2 years. But they had a long climb to get to even where they are, and it's maybe halfway up the mountain. I just hope that the organization isn't resting on their laurels, as many here seem to be.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know we need to be patient with our young guys, but man they look awful. Someone please make me feel better about Wilson. What am I missing when I see this low-skill kid? Lousy puck handling skills and not particularly strong along the boards unless he is blasting someone (and that apparently is unsustainable). What did GMGM see in him that pushed him above Forsberg on the prospect ladder? Bura I have more hope for, but he needs time. I wouldn't be broken up about it if he is sent down.
This organization doesn't really value hockey sense and it remains to be seen whether they can actually develop (and what they're developing towards). I don't know that we can expect Wilson to really put it all together under such circumstances. Maybe over a long enough time span that will happen but for now he looks to have regressed. This is the problem with chalking everything up to effort. It's simplistic. Their details are more sound but the dynamics of their offensive game generally seem to get glossed over still.

They clearly value finesse ability (seduced by skill) and then typically are heavy on grinderism. Wilson is the later so he fits. Forsberg isn't a lightweight but isn't a grinder either so he didn't fit their super simple evaluation boxes. Either/or with very little in between.

This team does well enough generally because their blueline doesn't get shook. Alzner was the only D that didn't get shook...a bit of a throwback to last year. Their possession game and even their work ethic has dipped the past few games and regression was coming. It's just a matter of how prolonged.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Tough loss friends, but great game. I'll be at the PIT game next Wed at the VC. Good luck the rest of the way (except for Sat. March 28th!).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This organization doesn't really value hockey sense and it remains to be seen whether they can actually develop (and what they're developing towards).

If you're talking about the new braintrust fine, but if you're talking about the organization as a whole that's absurd. The Caps have developed some elite and some very good players over the past decade. That's why their best players are homegrown.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps would open up on the road, against the Pens. Were the playoffs to start today.

I know-- you "like their chances" against everyone. Not me. Not yet.

YES-- they are much better than that flawed garbage we've been accustomed to over the past 2 years. But they had a long climb to get to even where they are, and it's maybe halfway up the mountain. I just hope that the organization isn't resting on their laurels, as many here seem to be.

There is a half a season to go. Let it play out a little. The lost a game on the road to a good team. Relax

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
This organization doesn't really value hockey sense and it remains to be seen whether they can actually develop (and what they're developing towards). I don't know that we can expect Wilson to really put it all together under such circumstances. Maybe over a long enough time span that will happen but for now he looks to have regressed. This is the problem with chalking everything up to effort. It's simplistic. Their details are more sound but the dynamics of their offensive game generally seem to get glossed over still.

They clearly value finesse ability (seduced by skill) and then typically are heavy on grinderism. Wilson is the later so he fits. Forsberg isn't a lightweight but isn't a grinder either so he didn't fit their super simple evaluation boxes. Either/or with very little in between.

This team does well enough generally because their blueline doesn't get shook. Alzner was the only D that didn't get shook...a bit of a throwback to last year. Their possession game and even their work ethic has dipped the past few games and regression was coming. It's just a matter of how prolonged.

Don't you think that guys like Laich and Brouwer sort of fit that tweeter role? The Caps seem to value them quite highly.

On a side note, I think Fehr was sorely missed yesterday. Not only for his board work and possession game, but his long defensive stick makes it a little for tougher for teams to waltz through the neutral zone, as Nashville easily did late in the 3rd.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I have to say it was rather a great/freakish play by Neal to steal the puck rather than a blunder by Niskanen. Niskanen's options were pretty limited on that play, you can see he's trying to make the pass to the far side of the ice. Neal just times the interception absolutely perfectly. 9 times out 10 Niskanen makes that pass succesfully.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

They do tend to go for talent and miss the bigger picture. At least with McPhee. He always seemed surprised by leadership rather than expectant of it in players he added.

It can't be overstated that they drafted a stud C prospect, a position of need, and moved him for an effort player on his last legs.

And for people griping about Wilson... He has 3rd line max written all over him from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have to say it was rather a great/freakish play by Neal to steal the puck rather than a blunder by Niskanen. Niskanen's options were pretty limited on that play, you can see he's trying to make the pass to the far side of the ice. Neal just times the interception absolutely perfectly. 9 times out 10 Niskanen makes that pass succesfully.

Correct play would have been to rim it around to Orpik. If that fails, at the least the turnover happens behind the net, where Niskanen can respond and prevent or mitigate the following scoring chance. It doesn't lead to a turnover at the faceoff dot. Niskanen took the high risk, low-reward option, and deserves the criticism he's taking for it.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think he had a better option and I think 9 times out of 10 he takes that better option. Passing it along the boards to the other side. That said, Niskanen has been so solid overall all you can do is shrug and say $&@" happens.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
I think he had a better option and I think 9 times out of 10 he takes that better option. Passing it along the boards to the other side. That said, Niskanen has been so solid overall all you can do is shrug and say $&@" happens.[/QUOT Mistakes are made because it is a fast game and for the most part accepted unless your last name rhymes with Chimmer. I believe he is the only one who has to be accountable for his mistakes because he is the only one so far who has been singled out and put in the press box. Trotz whipping boy.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
Should not matter if you are the president or just a laborer same rules apply. To get respect you treat everyone equally when you are the coach.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If you're talking about the new braintrust fine, but if you're talking about the organization as a whole that's absurd. The Caps have developed some elite and some very good players over the past decade. That's why their best players are homegrown.
How much of that is drafting rather than development? They're no Edmonton but I don't believe they've overall developed players nearly as well as they could. Part of it for quite a while was a garbage defense that required a whole host of compensatory unsound practices (which is fundamentally dysfunctional). It's improving under Trotz since the defense isn't garbage for once but their skill level and crispness with the puck still needs work. The foundation is way better but the finishing touches aren't there yet.
Don't you think that guys like Laich and Brouwer sort of fit that tweeter role? The Caps seem to value them quite highly.

On a side note, I think Fehr was sorely missed yesterday. Not only for his board work and possession game, but his long defensive stick makes it a little for tougher for teams to waltz through the neutral zone, as Nashville easily did late in the 3rd.
I would say Fehr is a better two-way player than Laich or Brouwer. Both of the later generally lack the ability to make a play or get themselves into position to be a finisher 5-on-5. Fehr at least does the later and is a better forechecker. It's just hard to look up and down the forward list and pick out all that many complete players.
They do tend to go for talent and miss the bigger picture. At least with McPhee. He always seemed surprised by leadership rather than expectant of it in players he added.

It can't be overstated that they drafted a stud C prospect, a position of need, and moved him for an effort player on his last legs.

And for people griping about Wilson... He has 3rd line max written all over him from day one.
Forsberg was never a center prospect but was always their best combination of skill and grit in a prospect so long as his upside panned out. They bet against it and now look foolish. It's not the first time and certainly won't be the last that they've misread the upside on a player that isn't overly sexy. Sexy rarely wins championships and certainly under Trotz it's not something they should overwhelmingly prioritize.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

It's not reassuring that Trotz isn't the best developer of young talent either.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

I disagree...and I think he says as much. AT that point in the game he has to make a smarter/safer play, and he had options. I love him being stand up guy and eating it, I don't get the impression this is something that rattles his confidence...just a hockey play gone bad. Good player

Vladiator16*

Stayed up till almost 4 AM to watch it... and get disappointed, again...

#lifeofacapsfan

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It's not reassuring that Trotz isn't the best developer of young talent either.

I think that's a myth.

Weber, Suter, Wilson, and Rinne all developed well. A Norris and Vezina player.

Radulov is a known headcase.

I think Nash fans were so desperate for young skill that they hold Radulov against him a bit too much.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I think that's a myth.

Weber, Suter, Wilson, and Rinne all developed well. A Norris and Vezina player.

Radulov is a known headcase.

I think Nash fans were so desperate for young skill that they hold Radulov against him a bit too much.

I recall Trotz himself saying he could do a better job developing young talent and it was also referenced in that article yesterday by Joshua Cooper.

Can't say I like how some of the young guys are being handled right now either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad