Proposal: French media proposed a blockbuster trade for Mtl-Car

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Let's be honest, Carolina needs more than one thing to become a legit playoff threat. They need a better center than what they have, they need a starting goaltending (maybe a decent backup) and they need a veteran defenseman to settle down the young blueliners.

The new owner is going to want to put his stamp on the team and has hired a coach with no head coaching experience anywhere. Making it 10 years without playoffs is highly likely, so they should be prepping for 19/20 instead of 18/19. Trading a bunch of young guys for older guys makes no sense except for Habs fans trying to get rid of their dead weight.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
That also kinda screws over Montreal lol. Not as much as Carolina, but does Montreal really want to go in next year with Niemi, and Lindgren as their 2 goalies lol. Also, none of the free agent goaltenders are much better so this is just a horrible idea idk who that analyst is but he should be immediately fired.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That also kinda screws over Montreal lol. Not as much as Carolina, but does Montreal really want to go in next year with Niemi, and Lindgren as their 2 goalies lol. Also, none of the free agent goaltenders are much better so this is just a horrible idea idk who that analyst is but he should be immediately fired.

I disagree. Moving 3 young, cost controlled, very high potential pieces in Hanifin, Necas and #2OA from a small market, budget team, and taking on a soon to be 31 YO and 30YO with a combined salary of $17M for the next 7 years (8 for Price) screws over Carolina plenty.

EDIT: Now that I re-read your post, I think I may have misinterpreted the bold part. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

It would be amazing for Montreal. Who cares who the goalie is, they're going to suck (and they should want to suck to have a shot at Jack Hughes), so that's not important. They clear an awful unmoveable contract and they get 3 young assets with star potential.

It would be a near-instant rebuild.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
What is it with Montreal thinking anybody else values their ridiculously overpaid players and proposing insane trades based on that misguidance?

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Carolina wouldn't have an interest in that deal. It doesn't make sense economically.

Montreal would need to absorb some of the Price salary.

And Patches is a upcoming UFA I doubt a team that's still rebuilding see's much value in a year of him.

Nikohab

Nov 16, 2017
Price wont bounce back as a Hab. We all read his body language and temper this season and the facts are obvious that Price isn't willing to stay a Hab. Price should take his attitude and pack his bags as the Habs need t0 rebuild through the draft. It's time for Habs organization to stop the selling seats and beer mentality and get on with the real stuff and rebuild.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
So, Mathias Brunet, a French analyst on Lapresse proposed yesterday on the radio a blockbuster trade.
I clearly don't approve this trade but it shows how mentally disconnected from reality the French medias are.
So Mathias Brunet is now THE French medias ?

Hopefully he'll get a good raise...

Tsk, tsk.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
what the ? it was just to discuss the trade proposal and to see if I was the only one finding this ridiculous.
you know you don't have to post, right ?
So that's probably why you wrote "it shows how mentally disconnected from reality the French medias are. "

A bit disingenuous, aren't we ?

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
This is ridiculously bad.... are we sure it wasn't supposed to be satire?
Ding, ding, ding.

We've got a winner.

Brunet's comments were taken way out of context.

He referred to the fact that McKenzie mentioned everybody (except for Aho) might be available.

He also referred to the the fact that Dudley had left Montréal for Carolina.

He basically started by saying "Let's dream".

For those who read French, read this: Mathias Brunet échangerait Carey Price et Max Pacioretty aux Hurricanes

For those who don't, use Google Translate with the usual caveats.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Id do this
And im a huge price fan

Hes underrated af these days

He's getting paid 10.5m AAV into his late 30's, for close to a decade...doesn't matter if he's underrated or not, he gets paid an absolute premium for a position that doesn't demand it anymore, given the finite amount of spots in that position, and particularly- relative to other goalies in the league.

Seriously, would any team have even given that to him in UFA (or even have the cap space to do it), had Bergevin not done it himself?

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
So, Mathias Brunet, a French analyst on Lapresse proposed yesterday on the radio a blockbuster trade.
I clearly don't approve this trade but it shows how mentally disconnected from reality the French medias are.

Btw im a Habs fan and I find the trade completely ridiculous.

so his trade proposal was:

to MTL:
- Necas
- Hanifin
- #2 OV

To CAR:
-Price
-Pacioretty resigned before the trade ( 6.5M x 6 years)
Don't take LaPresse seriously. They have awful opinions

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
He's getting paid 10.5m AAV into his late 30's, for close to a decade...doesn't matter if he's underrated or not, he gets paid an absolute premium for a position that doesn't demand it anymore, given the finite amount of spots in that position, and particularly- relative to other goalies in the league.

Seriously, would any team have even given that to him in UFA (or even have the cap space to do it), had Bergevin not done it himself?
Probably
Wait till brobrovsy next contract
Hes gonna be 10+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad