Proposal: French media proposed a blockbuster trade for Mtl-Car

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Well that's just flat out false.

A 30-year old Carey Price signed at $10.5m per for the next 8-years has no value, sorry to burst your bubble.

[MOD] An extended perennial 30+ goal scorer isn't worth Martin ****ing Necas alone? Svechnikov, I understand. I could even agree to disagree that someone wouldn't do an extended Patches 1 for 1 with Hannifin, but c'mon man. Shiny new toy syndrome much?

To Carolina, no he’s not. Necas is our best chance at a #1C (aka something we’ve needed for a while), he’s not being traded for Pacioretty, signed or not. Call it shiny new toy syndrome all you want but I bet you wouldn’t trade Scherbak or Poehling for Jeff Skinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I'm the first guy to call out ridiculous Habs proposals, but I don't get why this is so bad for Carolina...like at all. You guys are all hilarious with your P R O S P E C T S.

Obviously the contract on Price is bad, but if MTL took back Darling's contract (which they would have to and, since they'd be rebuilding, probably wouldn't mind doing) then, again, I don't see where the insane lopsided-ness is here.

- Pacioretty is a perennial 30+ goal scorer, and the Canes would get him at a very reasonable contract here.
- Price is still an elite goaltender.

This in exchange for Svechnikov, Hanifin and Necas...

- Svech...a top prospect who projects to be an elite winger. In all likelihood, if he pans out as good as Pacioretty then that'd be considered acceptable.
- Hanifin...a 3/4D with 2D upside if he keeps taking steps forward (which isn't guaranteed with defensemen. See Maatta, Ristolainen and Klefbom)
- Necas...a B+ level prospect who was like the 8th center taken in a weak draft last year (and he might not even play center in the pros), and has only played in the Czech league

I mean, given the state of things, I would say no if I was Carolina (because like MTL, I'd hold my best assets hostage for a Center), but I don't get why this proposal is getting laughed out of town. The value isn't terrible.
Let's see, Patches is on the backside of his career and will need a new contract. He's likely looking for $5M/$6M per. Price isn't what he was and possibly has the worst contract in the NHL.

Svech, while just projected, is expected to be more than Patches. Better offensively and possibly a more complete player. Necas has had a good year overseas competing against older, more experienced competition. He had a very good Worlds, playing against a lot of current NHLers and he plays center, a big need for us. Hanifin isn't my favorite, but he's a top 4 offensive defenseman that has a good shot at being more.

And oh yeah, all 3 of those players have salaries/ cap hits that equal to what Pacioretty makes right now! Its not Carolina's job or any other NHL team to make Montreal relevant again. The Canes have sucked for a long time, but they do it on a shoestring budget. The Habs have all the resources in the world and have squandered it with piss poor trades, signings and some fascination to draft French speaking prospects when better options are available.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Just want to point out that I understand why Carolina wouldn't do this

- internal cap
- need a 1C way more than a 1LW

but I'm just talking from a value perspective the trade doesn't seem that bad to me.
We have a 1LW that is pretty damn good and a hell of a lot younger in Aho. Soon we'll have a young 1RW. Still looking for a 1C and a 1G (who doesn't cripple the team with his god-awful contract).

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Ignoring the wretched value for a moment, Price makes $15 mil in each of the next 2 seasons.

I honestly think the Canes would not claim him if the Habs put him on waivers. That's a horrible contract for a budget team.

That's the same team that gave Fedorov a billion dollars one season.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
huge LOL at Carolina just deciding to take on $17M in salary.

Also, Svechnikov is probably going to be putting up numbers comparable to Patches by year 2 and he's younger and cheaper. No thanks.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Definitely a different time, but the "offer" was $38M over 6 years. Price will make more in the first 3 years of his new contract.

First year of the deal was $2 million salary, plus $14 million signing bonus. The rest was $2 mil/year salary, and another $12 mil in signing bonuses.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I'm the first guy to call out ridiculous Habs proposals, but I don't get why this is so bad for Carolina...like at all. You guys are all hilarious with your P R O S P E C T S.

Obviously the contract on Price is bad, but if MTL took back Darling's contract (which they would have to and, since they'd be rebuilding, probably wouldn't mind doing) then, again, I don't see where the insane lopsided-ness is here.

- Pacioretty is a perennial 30+ goal scorer, and the Canes would get him at a very reasonable contract here.
- Price is still an elite goaltender.

This in exchange for Svechnikov, Hanifin and Necas...

- Svech...a top prospect who projects to be an elite winger. In all likelihood, if he pans out as good as Pacioretty then that'd be considered acceptable.
- Hanifin...a 3/4D with 2D upside if he keeps taking steps forward (which isn't guaranteed with defensemen. See Maatta, Ristolainen and Klefbom)
- Necas...a B+ level prospect who was like the 8th center taken in a weak draft last year (and he might not even play center in the pros), and has only played in the Czech league

I mean, given the state of things, I would say no if I was Carolina (because like MTL, I'd hold my best assets hostage for a Center), but I don't get why this proposal is getting laughed out of town. The value isn't terrible.
Totaly false i saw him in world champ. He is very very good. Carolina shouldn't trade him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That's the same team that gave Fedorov a billion dollars one season.

I don't see what relevance that has to Carolina's current situation.

Carolina Hurricanes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Canes have a ~$49 mil in salary committed for next season. Price and Pacioretty make $20 mil combined [:help:]. A conservative estimate for the other RFAs, Lindholm and van Riemsdyk, is $6 mil. Say the 4 additional forwards and 3 additional defensemen needed come in at a total cost of $6 mil.

The opening night payroll would be ~$81 mil, or ~$21 mil more than the opening night payroll last year. That's not happening.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, Mathias Brunet, a French analyst on Lapresse proposed yesterday on the radio a blockbuster trade.
I clearly don't approve this trade but it shows how mentally disconnected from reality the French medias are.

Btw im a Habs fan and I find the trade completely ridiculous.

Sheesh. It's one guy farting out a concoction from a blog and that reflects all of the "French medias"?

If you find it "completely ridiculous", why are you even giving it any attention? What else did you think would happen by posting such drivel, in this forum in particular? Talk about creating a shit storm for no reason. Well played.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Add Darling, retain 1.5M of Price contract and add from MTL side still.

Yeah, we'd like to add from the MTL side -- by subtracting the fake fan who came up with this thread.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I live in Montreal and I have to say that I'm pretty floored by the lack of knowledge around the league from these said "experts". For a town that is crazy about the sport, they know very little about the other 30 teams and it's main or only focus is their team and nothing else.

Again, taking a proposal from one guy to such an extreme only contributes to your preconceived notion. It's not unlike many major cities and their pro teams, you're always going to find something dumb if you look for it. The thread starter's judgment in making a thread out of this, is what is ill-advised. Trying to paint the whole local sports community with the same brush is exactly what the OP was trying to accomplish and based on several captive posts by individuals who should know better, it looks like the thread-starter found several suckers.

Reactions: Oryxo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So a French analyst proposed a deal that heavily favors the Habs? I, for one, am shocked.

So a poster who knows zilch about the Montreal sports community is using a random dropping to create a hyperbolic generalization. I wonder who should really be shocked.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At least the French media still has a decent sense of humor.

Yeah, one guy represents the whole of the "French media". Why don't I dig up a a dumb Carolina article and make a thread about how out to lunch all Carolina sportswriters are.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hilarious that they would think re-signing Pacioretty to a large long term contact like that would be considered a positive. They're so sure of his continued greatness that locking him down until age 36 only adds to his value.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So a poster who knows zilch about the Montreal sports community is using a random dropping to create a hyperbolic generalization. I wonder who should really be shocked.
This past season that same Montreal media proposed
1. Chuck for Leddy+Beau.
2. Chucky as the key to a JT trade.
Both overpayments for a skilled, struggling winger who does not play a 200 ft game.

I get that radio hosts want to keep listeners tuning in and writers want those clicks, but some fans take these homerish suggestions seriously and wonder why opposing fans do not value MaxPac, Chucky, Price and Weber the same way.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This past season that same Montreal media proposed ...

Can you be any more generic? What is that "same Montreal media" even mean? Do you have any idea how diverse and multiple the media sources are in the province of Quebec? This thread is all over the place. According to some posts in here, it's about the "Canadian media". It's as meaningless as you can get.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Can you be any more generic? What is that "same Montreal media" even mean? Do you have any idea how diverse and multiple the media sources are in the province of Quebec? This thread is all over the place. According to some posts in here, it's about the "Canadian media". It's as meaningless as you can get.

I remember the Chucky for Leddy+Beau silliness was suggested by an all sports radio host.
I do not remember which Montreal media source, came up with the Chucky + for Tavares suggestion. So many homerish media sources :laugh:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I could see...

TO CAR:
- Pacioretty

TO MTL:
- Necas (to play with Zadina who Habs pick 3rd)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad