Proposal: French media proposed a blockbuster trade for Mtl-Car

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LMFAO, dude pass me what you're smoking! An extended perennial 30+ goal scorer isn't worth Martin ****ing Necas alone? Svechnikov, I understand. I could even agree to disagree that someone wouldn't do an extended Patches 1 for 1 with Hannifin, but c'mon man. Shiny new toy syndrome much?

No, Pacioretty, with or without an extension is not worth Martin Necas alone and it has nothing to do with "Shiny new toy syndrome".

Which teams trade for a guy and sign him to a huge contract at 30 years old for top prospect/young player when said 30 year old isn't even filling a position of need? Do you have some examples where that has been done recently and worked out? Closest examples I can find are: Forsberg for Erat, Seguin for Eriksson. How'd those work out?

Martin Necas was a high draft pick that has done nothing but improve his draft spot since being drafted and fills a position of need in Carolina (Center). He'll be under the team's control for probably another 7 years, will be paid much less than Pacioretty and will be hitting his prime when Pacioretty is over the hill. He's got good size, amazing speed, and is able to make decisions at a high rate of speed. He's perfect for today's NHL. I'm sure it will take a few years, but no way I'd trade Necas for Patches, no way.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So, Mathias Brunet, a French analyst on Lapresse proposed yesterday on the radio a blockbuster trade.
I clearly don't approve this trade but it shows how mentally disconnected from reality the French medias are.

Btw im a Habs fan and I find the trade completely ridiculous.

so his trade proposal was:

to MTL:
- Necas
- Hanifin
- #2 OV

To CAR:
-Price
-Pacioretty resigned before the trade ( 6.5M x 6 years)
I can't see Price waiving to go to Carolina. Because of their owner. Try and trade Price to a Nashvilel instead. Re-unite him with his buddy Subban? What we get in return flip to Carolina. I am not as high on Hanifin as most Hab fans. But he could emerge to #1 d-man paired with Weber. I would probably scrape the #2 pick idea. Cost to acquire image be enormous. I would rather draft Zadina at 3, prospects with the most passion have the higher ceiling. As long as skill is close. Which it sounds like it is in this case. That would put Zadina with Necas and Hanifin as our 1-D. Now, we need to find a goalie?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
That package should include rentention..but anyway

Habs aren't getting rid of Price that easy..They'd probably have to offer a team Price + Mete for a 2nd OV and that's still a big maybe.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I can't see Price waiving to go to Carolina. Because of their owner. Try and trade Price to a Nashvilel instead. Re-unite him with his buddy Subban? What we get in return flip to Carolina. I am not as high on Hanifin as most Hab fans. But he could emerge to #1 d-man paired with Weber. I would probably scrape the #2 pick idea. Cost to acquire image be enormous. I would rather draft Zadina at 3, prospects with the most passion have the higher ceiling. As long as skill is close. Which it sounds like it is in this case. That would put Zadina with Necas and Hanifin as our 1-D. Now, we need to find a goalie?

So in your hypothetical:
1) Price won’t waive for Carolina and he forces a trade to Nashville using his NMC
2) You are graciously willing to “scrap the #2 idea”.
3) Now, back to business!, Carolina is going to trade you Martin Necas + Noah Hanifin... for Pacioretty and the assets acquired in a Price-to-Nashville trade

The Canes are giving Montreal a future #1C and #1D (in your hypothetical lines) for a rental and what, a 3rd round pick you are getting from Nashville?

... why? Did you miss the point that Carolina would only hypothetically be interested because Price fixes their goalie issue? It ain't Fire Sale Saturdays "All blue-chips must go".

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Can you be any more generic? What is that "same Montreal media" even mean? Do you have any idea how diverse and multiple the media sources are in the province of Quebec? This thread is all over the place. According to some posts in here, it's about the "Canadian media". It's as meaningless as you can get.

It’s the same Montreal media that wrote articles about the Canes likely move to Quebec repeatedly without knowing absolutely f*** all about what was actually going on. But please, let’s leave those poor folks alone.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That package should include rentention..but anyway

Habs aren't getting rid of Price that easy..They'd probably have to offer a team Price + Mete for a 2nd OV and that's still a big maybe.

I think you mean that's still a big NO from Carolina's POV. Here's why:

1) Price's contract is way too hefty for a budget team like Carolina even with retention.
2) Price isn't waiving to go to Carolina
3) Canes have no use for Mete with their entire defense being under 26 and under and with Bean and McKeown in the system.
4) Canes need elite talent more than anything and the 2OA pick is the best way to do that.
5) Waddell said a team would have to "blow them away" with a deal for him to consider moving the 2OA pick and this doesn't qualify.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Habs need to begin with Drouin + Poehling and keep adding or there is really no discussion. :help:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It’s the same Montreal media that wrote articles about the Canes likely move to Quebec repeatedly without knowing absolutely **** all about what was actually going on. But please, let’s leave those poor folks alone.

Canes are bad and poor and have no fans.

Also can you guys fix our $84 million mistake? We’ll just take those 3 ELCs in return, thanks.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
whats even better is that this is probably Bergevin slowly leaking out his grand masterplan to his french media buddies to get the word out

this probably isn't a reporter just spitballing fantasy trades lols its (probably) much worse than that

this is the kind of pie in the sky never happening type deal that Bergevin needs to save his job and it aint happening

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
[MOD] If I'm the canes I wouldn't trade necas alone for both an extended patch and price. Let alone the 2nd overall and hanifin. What a joke. So dumb, yet habs management feed out of their hands! We have no future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I remember the Chucky for Leddy+Beau silliness was suggested by an all sports radio host.
I do not remember which Montreal media source, came up with the Chucky + for Tavares suggestion. So many homerish media sources :laugh:

Again, which host and which station? Makes a difference. In every market you get filler-type, low grade sportscasters that come up with untenable material in order to garner an audience. Not the type of show I'd listen to but there are listeners who enjoy that stuff. In most cases, the sportscaster is speaking for himself, he's not a reflection of the broadcasters at large in a given market. So easy to use one guy and draw generalizations out of it, especially if you don't follow the market as closely as say the locals do.

I had a feeling I'd wake up in the morning and see some comments from MTL fans taking umbrage that people are saying how awful the original offer was. Have to admit, I'm not disappointed.

Montreal fans are hardly surprised from the all too predictable generalizations that fans from other markets are making on account of a brain fart that one blogger put out. You can find these in any market but no, you'd miss out on the hyperbole this forum has come to depend upon. Never fails.

Non-market fans are so ill informed that they can't tell the difference between Montreal media, Quebec media and Canadian media. Keep connecting dots that don't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Benstheman

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Carolina is gonna trade 3 young pieces for an injury prone goalie and a aging scorer??? What is this guy smoking????

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So in your hypothetical:
1) Price won’t waive for Carolina and he forces a trade to Nashville using his NMC
2) You are graciously willing to “scrap the #2 idea”.
3) Now, back to business!, Carolina is going to trade you Martin Necas + Noah Hanifin... for Pacioretty and the assets acquired in a Price-to-Nashville trade

The Canes are giving Montreal a future #1C and #1D (in your hypothetical lines) for a rental and what, a 3rd round pick you are getting from Nashville?

... why? Did you miss the point that Carolina would only hypothetically be interested because Price fixes their goalie issue? It ain't Fire Sale Saturdays "All blue-chips must go".

A third round pick for Price? Can't get a former Hart winner for a 3rd. You've been playing too much PS4. Price is like Fleury he will bounce back. Played this year injured and for a Mickey Mouse caliber GM. Habs would get Rinne and one of their top forwards. If you don't want them then fine. BUt I have to ask...why you not angling for a goalie? Should be your #1 priority??

Actually, I originally thought Carolina was top destination for Tavares. For a number of reasons. This was before Ronnie Francis left though. 1- Carolina has tons of cap space. 2- Add a top goalie they have a Cup caliber team, look what Fleury has done in Vegas?. 3- they have a big need down the middle. I couple of months ago, I had them as one of choices for landing spot for Tavares. But with this tear down thing going on in Carolina can't see him going into a situation like that. Lots of moving parts sounds like, especially with Ronnie Francis gone. Can't see him JT agreeing to go there now. If they have everybody on the block has to be either the pick, TT or Hanifin going. Because Staal, Williams, Skinner, etc... aren't going to fetch the big return.

The #2 pick, I said pass on because take a ton to acquire I think Zadina will be the better player. Generally the prospect with most passion for the game has the higher ceiling. If the skill is close, sounds like it is between those 2. Zadina oozes passion.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Again, which host and which station? Makes a difference. In every market you get filler-type, low grade sportscasters that come up with untenable material in order to garner an audience. Not the type of show I'd listen to but there are listeners who enjoy that stuff. In most cases, the sportscaster is speaking for himself, he's not a reflection of the broadcasters at large in a given market. So easy to use one guy and draw generalizations out of it, especially if you don't follow the market as closely as say the locals do.
Again
1.Habs fans posted about a Montreal all sports radio host, who suggested a struggling Chucky could return Leddy+Beau. If the host had been a NY sports host I would likely be able to tell the name of his show and if he frequently makes homer proposals. I mocked the Montreal radio host suggestion.
2.The Chucky as key to a Tavares trade, also was posted on the Habs board and came from a homer in the Montreal media.

You act as if these lopsided proposals , from local fanboys in the Montreal media surprise you. Does not wash. Too hard to believe that this is something new from the local fanboys.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
jesus thats egregious.

You should trademark that and put it on t-shirts.

If you also recognize how ridiculous it is, why the hell would you create a thread for it?

Some people just really, really love hearing themselves talk. Jeez

This is like, Inception-levels of irony.

Does it sound any less terrible in French?

And people wonder why Canes fans are a sarcastic bunch. We get inundated with this level on nonsense on a weekly basis.

1. Everything sounds better in french.
2. Every fanbase gets inundated with bad Habs proposals.

Price is unmovable, and the Habs should jump on the first opportunity to get rid of him without retaining.

Bergevin waiting for that phone call:
images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad