Free Agents and Trade Thread - Post Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
is that the giant fat guy who is Ottawa’s beat guy? I’d listen to his thoughts on compete at the buffet

He's not saying anything everybody isn't already thinking

We've got a team that lost to the Marlies Zamboni driver and a GM that admits he doesn't know what the problem is in his presser

I'd be pissing myself laughing if this clown show wasn't my team

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't like the thinking behind it

We've let pending UFA'S walk for years now and when you start adding up how much value we've left on the table it adds up

I don't think just making the playoffs is good enough either, they better make it and look like a genuine cup chance to make this worth it imo

The logic is that they still have a good team that is going through a tough stretch. While the idea is that you don't believe in them, I think it's unfair to management and the coaches to think to themselves they can't be optimistic about being able to compete, especially once Rielly and even Ceci are back, and with hopefully Andersen playing like he can.

Under Dubas, they haven't exactly let prime UFAs walk. Barrie will be the only significant UFA let go, assuming he doesn't come down from his re-signing price.

All in all, we'll see in a couple months basically.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's always difficult to know the truth. If it was a second, or Stecher as the offers, we made the right move. If a first and prospect were on the table, and we didn't accept that, it was the wrong move... we will never know the truth/facts, and without facts, we are just speculating on innuendo.

I would be upset if he had a 1st + prospect offer, but considering that was his ask, then I do not believe he received that. He may have received a prospect + 2nd offer, but if the prospect was mediocre, it was not worth the Leafs' while either.

As I said before, this team can compete with the others if they get their **** together. I do not think Boston, Tampa or Florida are any more intimidating than they already are. They added some decent role players, but not any huge difference makers. If the Leafs were capable of beating them without those players in the first place, then they still are capable of beating them now.

I do not have a ton of trust that they do right now, but I would rather take that chance than take a crap trade offer and not really have that chance. I just hope the Leafs take the fact that Dubas was one phone call from totally tanking their playoff chances this year to heart, and respond accordingly.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The logic is that they still have a good team that is going through a tough stretch. While the idea is that you don't believe in them, I think it's unfair to management and the coaches to think to themselves they can't be optimistic about being able to compete, especially once Rielly and even Ceci are back, and with hopefully Andersen playing like he can.

Under Dubas, they haven't exactly let prime UFAs walk. Barrie will be the only significant UFA let go, assuming he doesn't come down from his re-signing price.

You’re forgetting Gardiner and Hainsey, whom are both better than Barrie.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bruce Arthur ripping Dubas on TSN for not having an answer to the question asking what is wrong with this team. Dubas simply said he didn’t know.

Bruce goes on saying it’s clear what is wrong with this team, they don’t compete.

Bruce has a point

I'm not sure that Bruce even listened to the press conference then. He's taking the whole conversation out of context, and using it to address something not asked.

Listen for yourself.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You’re forgetting Gardiner and Hainsey, whom are both better than Barrie.

Hainsey was a better partner for Rielly, but I think it was clear, he wasn't going to be the right guy moving forward, age, and mileage. Better hockey player, as a standalone... I think I'd argue not, but for sure, a better partner for Rielly.

Gardiner was better, but post injury, hasn't been better. Plus the whole R/L handedness thing... Gardiner, nor Rielly have really excelled on the Right side at any point. Plus we needed the grit in Muzzin, meaning Gardiner as a third pairing, for the cost wasn't an option.

We needed to move on from Nazem, I think we all admit that, as much as I liked him.... and that's what we got in return.... again, we can speculate that we would have hoped for a better return, but we don't know if such an option existed... we got a 3C, and RHD... even if he didn't really fit our needs... (though his offense has been good since Keefe)

Reactions: kb and BertCorbeau

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Barrie needed to go. Its the first major decision that I really diagree with under Dubas.
Dog walking thoughts on the subject:
In principle I agree, but I think a lot of that is more being disappointed that something meaningful didnt happen rather than rational thinking.

Reasons:
A. He was available for a good return, he's still a leaf so a good return wasn't offered.

B. Why I dont agree about anything being better than nothing:

Two basic scenarios for the remainder of the season: either this team pulls their collective head from their ass and plays to their abilities (in which case a Tyson Barrie whose playing for a contract and just found out how lowly hes valued will be a great thing to have)

Or they dont, and the already established substandard rental return should be immaterial in the scope of changes to be made

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

All in all, we'll see in a couple months basically.

The team started like crap and got the coach fired, went on a post Babcock heater and are back into pre Babcock firing levels of results with 5 regulation wins in the last 20 games

If this team and managment group wanted the benefit of the doubt they would play like a team that deserves it, which they certainly don't with this standard of play and amount of quit they have shown

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hainsey was a better partner for Rielly, but I think it was clear, he wasn't going to be the right guy moving forward, age, and mileage. Better hockey player, as a standalone... I think I'd argue not, but for sure, a better partner for Rielly.

Gardiner was better, but post injury, hasn't been better. Plus the whole R/L handedness thing... Gardiner, nor Rielly have really excelled on the Right side at any point. Plus we needed the grit in Muzzin, meaning Gardiner as a third pairing, for the cost wasn't an option.

We needed to move on from Nazem, I think we all admit that, as much as I liked him.... and that's what we got in return.... again, we can speculate that we would have hoped for a better return, but we don't know if such an option existed... we got a 3C, and RHD... even if he didn't really fit our needs... (though his offense has been good since Keefe)

The intent was good but the players Dubas brought in have really tanked on expectations, particularly Barrie.

I imagine that Dubas envisioned pairing Barrie with Muzzin as a formidable pair that can take some tougher match ups on (they had history at the WHC), and that he was hoping Rielly could carry Ceci enough.

Well Rielly has had a down year, possibly because of injury; Ceci was as expected - pretty bad; and Barrie has been a disaster defensively (granted at least he's bringing offense under Keefe these days).

Kerfoot has been ok but hasn't progressed offensively like some might hope. That being said his PP production has tanked, likely due to less opportunity. He's a nice versatile player and, if Barrie was actually doing what he was expected, folks here would probably be happier with Kerfoot as a result.

Realistically the changes this team needs are not done within two days at the deadline. There needs to be an off-season of work done to determine what the appropriate course of action is.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know we are all disappointed but all the Leafs need to do is win. As long as they keep winning, everything will be good.

Reactions: kb

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Damn I wish the Isles went through with it.... Oh well - trading those picks for Pageau and then giving him that contract is a black mark enough. Pageau is having a career season, shooting 7-8% above his career norm getting nearly 2 more minutes of ice time than his career average, and being put into prime situations.

He's a nice player and fits the Isles structure well but not a $5 mill AAV guy for the long term. Seems like cap space wasted.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Matthews Tavares Nylander Reilly Muzzin Kapanen Hyman Sandin Liljegren to me stay, bring back Spezza and Clifford, this team needs a character overhaul

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Damn I wish the Isles went through with it.... Oh well - trading those picks for Pageau and then giving him that contract is a black mark enough. Pageau is having a career season, shooting 7-8% above his career norm getting nearly 2 more minutes of ice time than his career average, and being put into prime situations.

He's a nice player and fits the Isles structure well but not a $5 mill AAV guy for the long term. Seems like cap space wasted.

That was a horrid trade and contract.

Yikes!

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I know we are all disappointed but all the Leafs need to do is win. As long as they keep winning, everything will be good.

If the roster isn't right winning is easier said than done
Holl is still our best defensive RD, Holl

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Its a Clarkson level bad contract.

The high proce in picks aside, that contra t is immediately a long term problem. The guy could severely regress offensively as soon as the next season

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Matthews Tavares Nylander Reilly Muzzin Kapanen Hyman Sandin Liljegren to me stay, bring back Spezza and Clifford, this team needs a character overhaul
The jury is still out whether the character issues are up in the first set of names.
Work ethic and caring comes from the top down. It doesn’t go from the bottom up.

Reactions: LeafsRus

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The jury is still out whether the character issues are up in the first set of names.
Work ethic and caring comes from the top down. It doesn’t go from the bottom up.

Hence why Marner isn't on my list, I truly think hes an issue and moving him may open some eyes in that dressing room. I see Matthews getting upset after a loss and during games and dame for Kapanen. Adding some quality charachter will be essential this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad