Free Agents and Trade Thread- Part VII - Wheelin' and Dealin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Marner for Ekblad +

Leafs gain 4M in cap off that deal alone.

Come on down Alex Pietrangelo.

Ok, here's my shot at this....

Mitch Marner to Florida for Aaron Ekblad, Frank Vatrano, and Lucas Wallmark (950,000)

Frederik Andersen and Pierre Engvall to Arizona for Darcy Kuemper, Lawson Crouse, and Christian Fischer (950,000)

Alex Kerfoot to Chicago for David Kampf and Alec Regula

Andreas Johnsson and Travis Dermott to New York for Lias Andersson and 22nd overall pick

Sign Alex Pietrangelo (8,500,000)

Zach Hyman - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Lawson Crouse - John Tavares - Frank Vatrano
Nick Robertson - David Kampf - Ilya Mikheyev
Alexander Barabanov - Lucas Wallmark - Christian Fischer

Morgan Rielly - Alex Pietrangelo
Jake Muzzin - Aaron Ekblad
Mikko Lehtonen - Justin Holl

Darcy Kuemper
Jack Campbell

2.5 left in cap space...

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matheson is similar situation as Ziatsev. Hes in his mid 20s signed long term and has not lived up to a long term contract.

He has a bit more skill than Zaitsev and the pens have rebuilt defenders in the past like Schultz, Daley,

Still would have been smarter finding a soft deal for Hornqvist and then targetting a UFA rhd. If matheson doesnt rebound then they have a cap dump for half a decade.

Reactions: Korg

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Ok, here's my shot at this....

Mitch Marner to Florida for Aaron Ekblad, Frank Vatrano, and Lucas Wallmark (950,000)

Frederik Andersen and Pierre Engvall to Arizona for Darcy Kuemper, Lawson Crouse, and Christian Fischer (950,000)

Alex Kerfoot to Chicago for David Kampf and Alec Regula

Andreas Johnsson and Travis Dermott to New York for Lias Andersson and 22nd overall pick

Sign Alex Pietrangelo (8,500,000)

Zach Hyman - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Lawson Crouse - John Tavares - Frank Vatrano
Nick Robertson - David Kampf - Ilya Mikheyev
Alexander Barabanov - Lucas Wallmark - Christian Fischer

Morgan Rielly - Alex Pietrangelo
Jake Muzzin - Aaron Ekblad
Mikko Lehtonen - Justin Holl

Darcy Kuemper
Jack Campbell

2.5 left in cap space...

swap the K and M from your name, then replace the kur with ON

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So what are the odds Winnipeg would be interested in Marner?
They apparently are interested in moving Ehlers...but im not sure why.
He is young, has top 6 numbers, some of the best transition numbers in the game.
All of this while only getting 2nd unit PP time, and not top line minutes.

Ehlers at 6 is way more valuable to this team IMO than Marner at 10.9.
The savings on the cap would be huge in being able to add depth, and we could probably get a solid addition as well. Kristian Vesalainen? Nathan Smith?

Marner (Leafs retain 1 mill) + 15 for Ehlers + 10 + Vesalainen?
Toronto saves around 4m, Winnipeg goes from a 65-70 point winger to a 90 pt winger. Actual cash owed is about equal after the Leaf's retention.
Hard pass. Doubly so for 5 years of retention.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Didn't the NHL make that type of contract illegal after the Kovalchuk deal?

That LeBrun article is pure trash. Can't believe I have paid for The Athletic for my 3rd year in a row.

The rules are, I think, one half of the contract can't be less than 50% of the other half of the contract. E.g. First four years - $20 million, the next four years have be at least $10 million. The other rule is that the drop off from highest paid year to lowest paid year can't be more than 50%.

Reactions: Kurtz and Korg

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If only Jack Johnson wasnt signed for 3 more years. I'd be interested in trying to get Rust+JJ for a very discounted deal if JJ had only 2 years on his deal.

Something like JJ+Rust+for AJ. Let JJ sit in the AHL or in surprising situation he doesnt suck play on bottom pairing with Sandin/Lethonen/Dermott. His contract would expire same time Rielly needed a new deal. Rust would be another high end RW to add. Could play on any line(even if hes not a ppg winger like this year is still a Hyman like impact player).

JJ contract is a year too long to consider that type of deal though. Tried making the trade and fitting in Pietrangelo. It works but a lot of guys probably underplayed in bottom 6.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you remove retention, are you more interested? Or do the Leafs need to also retain the #15 pick?

Its 5m in cap space, a top prospect and a top 10 pick, which id love to go at Askarov with.

Interesting trade proposal. Ehlers might be a small step below Nylander but he probably scores 30-35 playing with JT. Sends Marner, his dad and that contract to frigid Winnipeg and frees up 4m in cap space. Also opens up a spot on the #1 PP so we can go with Petro and Rielly at the points.

Trade might end up Marner + Schnieder for Petro + Ehlers + Vesalainen + Askorov/Sanderson. Very tempting. Sign me up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So what are the odds Winnipeg would be interested in Marner?
They apparently are interested in moving Ehlers...but im not sure why.
He is young, has top 6 numbers, some of the best transition numbers in the game.
All of this while only getting 2nd unit PP time, and not top line minutes.

Ehlers at 6 is way more valuable to this team IMO than Marner at 10.9.
The savings on the cap would be huge in being able to add depth, and we could probably get a solid addition as well. Kristian Vesalainen? Nathan Smith?

Marner (Leafs retain 1 mill) + 15 for Ehlers + 10 + Vesalainen?
Toronto saves around 4m, Winnipeg goes from a 65-70 point winger to a 90 pt winger. Actual cash owed is about equal after the Leaf's retention.

No way, Jose.

I'd deal Marner for Laine and their first. Ehlers feels closer to Andreas Johnsson than Mitch Marner.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No way, Jose.

I'd deal Marner for Laine and their first. Ehlers feels closer to Andreas Johnsson than Mitch Marner.

Good luck with that. Ehlers may not be Marner but you are under selling him in you comparison to AJ. Ehlers is a small step below Nylander and could close the gap if he played with a stud C like Nylander and Marner do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Good luck with that. Ehlers may not be Marner but you are under selling him in you comparison to AJ. Ehlers is a small step below Nylander and could close the gap if he played with a stud C like Nylander and Marner do.

Don't want any part of Ehlers. Would prefer to keep Marner.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Don't want any part of Ehlers. Would prefer to keep Marner.

Then you look for a team with a young 5-6m winger, a pick before Carolina's and a former #1 prospect. Wonder if NJ with the #7 pick would be interested. Marner and Hughes could make up 2/3 of a smurf line.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Lol, I would be so pissed if I were a Penguins fan. Hearing the trade break a day ago only for Pittsburgh to bungle it by not clearing it with Hornqvist first, so they got that little bit of hope that it wouldn't happen. And then it does, and he even takes on a shitty 4th liner who makes 1.2 million so they don't even save money this year

Taking on Sceviour actually makes the deal worse for Pitt due to the cap implications.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Then you look for a team with a young 5-6m winger, a pick before Carolina's and a former #1 prospect. Wonder if NJ with the #7 pick would be interested. Marner and Hughes could make up 2/3 of a smurf line.
If Marner is going to NJ, Hughes is coming back our way. Then we will have our own smurf line of Hughes, Robertson and Barabanov.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would actually be asking for Jack Hughes back in a New Jersey deal. Idea would be NJ gets the sure thing, while we get the player who hasn't yet panned out and is on an ELC. That and their first round pick.

I don't love Marner, and I'm open to moving him but it has to be a great deal for us and I would be as dogged in negotiations as Marner was vs Dubas to make sure we clean up.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
re the Marner to Ottawa thing going on in the last thread: think of all the people this sort of star power would bring to an arena. It's not like this team with Hossa, Spezza, Heatley in their primes ever had cashflow issues...

also with how Rutherford is approaching the offseason, I'm surprised not more GMs are taking advantage of his lack of player value judgement, he seems to only care about getting certain "kinds" of players - fast speedy guy, big defensive defenseman... he's probably looking for a netfront guy like JVR or something jeez.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I would actually be asking for Jack Hughes back in a New Jersey deal. Idea would be NJ gets the sure thing, while we get the player who hasn't yet panned out and is on an ELC. That and their first round pick.

I don't love Marner, and I'm open to moving him but it has to be a great deal for us and I would be as dogged in negotiations as Marner was vs Dubas to make sure we clean up.
In losing both Marner and Kapanen in the offseason, we'll be needing more PK help... at least that's what I thought initially because both players, although they can play the PK, aren't that great at mitigating dangerous chances against the Leafs. Either we deal with this internally with Mikheyev, Engvall and Hyman (plus Barabanov if that's in his skillset) or we go through UFA and get someone on the cheap, someone that can actually take draws.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Marner is going to NJ, Hughes is coming back our way. Then we will have our own smurf line of Hughes, Robertson and Barabanov.

Sure if NJ is willing to do that. I just do not see it happening unless they think he is not the prospect they thought he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad