Free Agents and Trade Thread- Part VII - Wheelin' and Dealin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
So what are the odds Winnipeg would be interested in Marner?
They apparently are interested in moving Ehlers...but im not sure why.
He is young, has top 6 numbers, some of the best transition numbers in the game.
All of this while only getting 2nd unit PP time, and not top line minutes.

Ehlers at 6 is way more valuable to this team IMO than Marner at 10.9.
The savings on the cap would be huge in being able to add depth, and we could probably get a solid addition as well. Kristian Vesalainen? Nathan Smith?

Marner (Leafs retain 1 mill) + 15 for Ehlers + 10 + Vesalainen?
Toronto saves around 4m, Winnipeg goes from a 65-70 point winger to a 90 pt winger. Actual cash owed is about equal after the Leaf's retention.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
But in a normal year the cap goes up, so the difference means same %cap aav. Hehe.

True dat however Petro could hire Ferris and argue that he is worth Karlsson and Doughty money and one GM would pay it. The more cap the more money a GM can dole out.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lebrun said in his article today the sign and trade for JT was briefly discussed, but everyone ran out of time pretty much. Lou wasn't keen it seems either based on earlier info.
Lebrun isn't sure of the numbers as he doesn't think it reached that far, but said if you added for example 4 million to an 8th year, the AAV would be 10.125 instead of 11. That would be really helpful right now.

I'm not complaining about JT either. I love the player and think the contract, but what a difference that would have made.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Lebrun said in his article today the sign and trade for JT was briefly discussed, but everyone ran out of time pretty much. Lou wasn't keen it seems either based on earlier info.
Lebrun isn't sure of the numbers as he doesn't think it reached that far, but said if you added for example 4 million to an 8th year, the AAV would be 10.125 instead of 11. That would be really helpful right now.

I'm not complaining about JT either. I love the player and think the contract, but what a difference that would have made.

Am I wrong in assuming here that Lou probably only did that out of spite?

Even if he got a 5th out of it, that's more than what he got for JT just plain leaving?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If dubas gets Pietrangelo to the leafs hell have gotten 2 of the 3 biggest UFAs oist 2013. Will be pretty incredible. Depth will hurt a bit but we can still have a high powered offense along with 3 incredible defenseman. Dubas would have added a 1C and 1D since coming. Really hope he finds a way to balance it all if he pulls off the big fish again and the team emerges to be a yearly cup contender for the next half decade.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Any D-man being paid 5M are usually underpaid and due for a big raise, or they are at the tail end of their careers. Ship has sailed for a top 4 Dman at a reasonable cost.

Get it done Dubas!

Reactions: The Podium

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If dubas gets Pietrangelo to the leafs hell have gotten 2 of the 3 biggest UFAs oist 2013. Will be pretty incredible. Depth will hurt a bit but we can still have a high powered offense along with 3 incredible defenseman. Dubas would have added a 1C and 1D since coming. Really hope he finds a way to balance it all if he pulls off the big fish again and the team emerges to be a yearly cup contender for the next half decade.
I think its the deep pockets of a rich team that deserves most of the credit. Its not hard to spend money when you have it. The key is having the money in the first place.

Reactions: ToneDog

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
So what are the odds Winnipeg would be interested in Marner?
They apparently are interested in moving Ehlers...but im not sure why.
He is young, has top 6 numbers, some of the best transition numbers in the game.
All of this while only getting 2nd unit PP time, and not top line minutes.

Ehlers at 6 is way more valuable to this team IMO than Marner at 10.9.
The savings on the cap would be huge in being able to add depth, and we could probably get a solid addition as well. Kristian Vesalainen? Nathan Smith?

Marner (Leafs retain 1 mill) + 15 for Ehlers + 10 + Vesalainen?
Toronto saves around 4m, Winnipeg goes from a 65-70 point winger to a 90 pt winger. Actual cash owed is about equal after the Leaf's retention.

Awful.

CertifiedGoat

Sep 24, 2020
A bit is putting it lightly.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Marner for Ekblad +

Leafs gain 4M in cap off that deal alone.

Come on down Alex Pietrangelo.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I wonder if Tavares has reached out to Pietrangelo and asked him if his interest is genuine.

tenor.gif

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agreed.

Rielly, Petro
Muzzin, Holl
then 2 of Dermott, Lehtonen, Sandin and Liljegren.

(I’m starting to like the idea of trading Dermott for Georgiev, and signing Georgiev to a Saros like contract) - Trade Freddy for best return possible. Move Johnsson. Keep Kerfoot. Look to sign Mikheyev to the best term versus AAV value we can get. Would love to sign him for 4 years depending on the AAV that would cost

I love all of this.

Would this be the first time Mo plays a full season with a legit top 4 dman?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
THE SALARY CAP HELL BUCKET
Trade Bait: The NHL's 31 teams fit neatly into three buckets this off-season - TSN.ca

Toronto Maple Leafs:
So long as the Big Four (Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Mitch Marner and William Nylander) account for nearly half ($40.4 million) of the frozen $81.5 million cap, filling in the gaps will be challenging.
Edmonton Oilers: The Oilers have less than $11 million to spend on a starting netminder and three or four depth forwards.
Arizona Coyotes: Phil Kessel, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Derek Stepan, Michael Grabner and Niklas Hjalmarsson are Trade Bait candidates as the Yotes look to shave salary.
Anaheim Ducks: Moving Ryan Kesler to LTIR can give GM Bob Murray another $6.8 million to spend, but the Ducks still have more than $74 million already committed.
Chicago Blackhawks: GM Stan Bowman needs a starting goaltender and to re-sign 30-goal rookie Dominik Kubalik and Dylan Strome. He’s got less than $8 million to do it.
Dallas Stars: The Stanley Cup finalists have some decisions to make. RFAs Radek Faksa, Denis Gurianov and Roope Hintz need new contracts, plus a mega deal is looming for Miro Heiskanen. The Stars might also need another netminder because playoff hero Anton Khudobin is up.
Florida Panthers: The Cats aren’t expected to spend to the cap under new GM Bill Zito, who is actively trying to move out money. The potential trade of Mike Matheson, which hit a snag, signals that direction.
New York Islanders: Is Matthew Barzal’s new AAV eight figures or seven? Barzal doesn’t have arbitration rights, but he can sign an offer sheet. Moving Johnny Boychuk (No. 13 on Trade Bait) is a start, since buying him out doesn’t help the cap.
New York Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist is likely heading for a buyout, which makes for $12 million total in dead space, counting Kevin Shattenkirk’s buyout. That reduces GM Jeff Gorton’s spending power to nearly $68 million, which is why big-ticket RFAs Tony DeAngelo and Ryan Strome are Trade Bait.
Pittsburgh Penguins: The Pens are looking at an internal cap around $75 million, which is why GM Jim Rutherford is on a quest to clear out money, starting with Nick Bjugstad and then in the attempt to move Patric Hornqvist, so he can dip his toe into the free agent market.
St. Louis Blues: There are all sorts of ways the Blues can keep captain Alex Pietrangelo. They include finding a new home for one of Tyler Bozak, Vince Dunn or Colton Parayko – because the contract of Justin Faulk would be a tough one.
Tampa Bay Lightning: A Stanley Cup would soothe the fact that the Bolts probably need to clear $10 million off the books this summer. It was J.T. Miller last year. This year, it could be Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat or even Yanni Gourde.
Vegas Golden Knights: It seems to be a poorly kept secret that Vegas wants to gear up to take a run at pending free agent Alex Pietrangelo. The question is: How will they be able to afford him? They’re going to have to start by figuring out their goaltending.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Didn't the NHL make that type of contract illegal after the Kovalchuk deal?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol, I would be so pissed if I were a Penguins fan. Hearing the trade break a day ago only for Pittsburgh to bungle it by not clearing it with Hornqvist first, so they got that little bit of hope that it wouldn't happen. And then it does, and he even takes on a shitty 4th liner who makes 1.2 million so they don't even save money this year

Reactions: Morgs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad