GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think our right side might be pretty set as Seider/Ghost/Holl. Lindstrom as the 7th D.

I think Yzerman said after free agency that Ghost played about 50% of the year on the right side last year.

Yeah, Gostisbehere debuted as right side lefty. In his NHL career, he has definitely played right side most of our current lefty defencemen.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think you and I are very much on the same wavelength here. I do believe that Holl was basically the easy guy to blame for the Leafs and their fanbase. Despite it all, I think he could be a very solid, simple two-way guy eating minutes with the right partner is a far less pressure situation like Toronto. Playing the steady man on the right side, seems like a near ideal spot.

I don't think that Chiarot has found his footing here in DET, and I hope that him and Holl together, playing a 2nd/3rd pair stay-at-home, and far less offensively aggressive game allows them to just keep focused and be very good complement to one another. I don't see anything wrong with either physically, they both have good speed, strength, power, passing, etc. Hopefully a new coach (Boughner), a simpler more defensively geared system, and better chemistry between them turn them into a "sum greater than the parts.." kind of deal.

That being said, I think the hold here is still waiting at least another year and if the kid forces the issue, great, but I don't get the impression that they are in any rush to push Ed up. I said last year I think AlJo gets his foot in the door sooner than he does and I don't think either become fixtures pre-2024. As the same thing with Leddy when everyone wanted to light him on fire for being the worsest worse ever on the worst defense ever and he should just be cut:

Veteran defenseman who can play minutes, aren't total offensive black holes (i.e. have more than 15pts a season), still have their legs/joints/hips/etc. , and are under 5M a season are always highly coveted. Always. So despite us not loving Chiarot, he will be worth assets back at some point and having him in the lineup now probably means a lot more to Stevie and Lalonde than we want to admit as well. Which is why I sooner see them sending off Mattaa (positionally sound, lots a step, 28, cheaper deal, less term, doesn't have a M-NTC) to free up some space on the Left side - over moving Chiarot who can play both, still has three years, etc.

But I am rooting for a good Chiarot - Holl pairing and think they are going to surprise folks this next year
If I'm being honest, I think that last year in Detroit is about as much as we can reasonably hope for from Chiarot. Besides his 2021-2022 regular season stint for Florida where he was much more insulated, I don't think he's ever been more effective than he was for us. In Winnipeg and Montreal he was always expected to do too much and never managed to do it effectively. Because Tampa is my #2 team, I remember so vividly cheering every time Chiarot stepped on the ice in both the Montreal and Florida playoff series because it meant Tampa was essentially on the power play.

Last year he was a lot more confident with the puck and I hope that he steps that back a bit. Besides that he is what he has been, a mean SOB that hits hard, blocks shots and makes sure the other team has the puck. The only way he finds his footing is if we give him third pairing sheltered minutes and a new pair of feet.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
If I'm being honest, I think that last year in Detroit is about as much as we can reasonably hope for from Chiarot. Besides his 2021-2022 regular season stint for Florida where he was much more insulated, I don't think he's ever been more effective than he was for us. In Winnipeg and Montreal he was always expected to do too much and never managed to do it effectively. Because Tampa is my #2 team, I remember so vividly cheering every time Chiarot stepped on the ice in both the Montreal and Florida playoff series because it meant Tampa was essentially on the power play.

Last year he was a lot more confident with the puck and I hope that he steps that back a bit. Besides that he is what he has been, a mean SOB that hits hard, blocks shots and makes sure the other team has the puck. The only way he finds his footing is if we give him third pairing sheltered minutes and a new pair of feet.

In MON he played top pairing minutes on with Petry on their Cup run and looked solid , FLA was middling but again was asked to play top 4 from deadline through a first round exit - so not a ton of time. Last year was disappointing because we expected a more stable partner for Mo but they moved him up and down the pairs and even had him play left and right. I think having him in a more simple role with less responsibility and hopefully with a consistent partner in Holl, he will have time to simplify his game and build chemistry. Maybe wishful thinking but I don’t see anything physically deficient with him like I did with Dekeyser or Ericsson (broken and no speed) or he’s a moron (Smith), or has no effort and weak (Kindl) he just tries to do too much and pulls himself out of position which partner and scheme could resolve that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In MON he played top pairing minutes on with Petry on their Cup run and looked solid , FLA was middling but again was asked to play top 4 from deadline through a first round exit - so not a ton of time. Last year was disappointing because we expected a more stable partner for Mo but they moved him up and down the pairs and even had him play left and right. I think having him in a more simple role with less responsibility and hopefully with a consistent partner in Holl, he will have time to simplify his game and build chemistry. Maybe wishful thinking but I don’t see anything physically deficient with him like I did with Dekeyser or Ericsson (broken and no speed) or he’s a moron (Smith), or has no effort and weak (Kindl) he just tries to do too much and pulls himself out of position which partner and scheme could resolve that.

If he's partnered with Holl, he'll be carrying the puck. Same if he's partnered with Maatta since Maatta doesn't handle the puck and plays a safe game. If he's going to simply his game, it'll have to be with Ghost who can handle the puck.

Lalonde will more than likely try both combinations, we'll see which one works better.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Sure he played those minutes in those situations, but he made everyone on his team worse while doing so. He did not look solid next to Petry. He dragged that pairing down every time he stepped on the ice.

I think he's a moron honestly. But you're right. If we put him on the third pair and tell him to be an anchor for someone with a bit more skill, that could work out.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
If he's partnered with Holl, he'll be carrying the puck. Same if he's partnered with Maatta since Maatta doesn't handle the puck and plays a safe game. If he's going to simply his game, it'll have to be with Ghost who can handle the puck.

Lalonde will more than likely try both combinations, we'll see which one works better.

Very true. Curious to see how the pairs shake out. Holl is almost always parked with a more offensively minded D, last year with Brodie where he was very good and this year looked terrible with the corpse of Mark Giordano, who is by my math… 102 years old. Now, the question remains for me is which Holl do we get? Ghost is probably closer stylistically to Brodie at this point?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Very true. Curious to see how the pairs shake out. Holl is almost always parked with a more offensively minded D, last year with Brodie where he was very good and this year looked terrible with the corpse of Mark Giordano, who is by my math… 102 years old. Now, the question remains for me is which Holl do we get? Ghost is probably closer stylistically to Brodie at this point?

Defense pairing don't always work out the way you expect, who would have expected Oesterle to look good with Walman? Or that Hronek would light it up with Matta as a partner? Lalonde needs to stay flexible and find the best pairings, the same probably goes for the forward lines. So many new faces, there's bound to be some blender action going on.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I would have taken Glendening back for cheap personally, mentor some kids on the penalty kill and faceoffs, hard worker every night. Injuries are gonna happen, they always do, so spots will open throughout the season.

Just not Fabbri, he's playing a full 82 this year. :banana:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I would have taken Glendening back for cheap personally, mentor some kids on the penalty kill and faceoffs, hard worker every night. Injuries are gonna happen, they always do, so spots will open throughout the season.

I think he is chasing a cup. But I would gladly want him back on a 1 year to retire a wing. I was a LGD fan when he was here.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Chiarot is not going anywhere and neither is Holl. If there is someone who is moved out for Ed, it's going to be Maatta. I know it's hard for us to accept, but Chiarot and Holl (who hasn't played a minute for us yet despite earning Lebda status), are valued by the Wings and probably valued by other teams as well.

Maatta has more value than Holl. If Holl sucks and Maatta is similar to last year, Holl will be the scratch or GR waiver guy. Any team that would want Holl over Maatta needs to have their eyes checked.

I think Holl kinda gets a bad rap because he isn't a top pairing d but was in To. If he is on a second pair because of injuries or being a steady stay at home 3rd pairing he is fine. He was a defender put into the position without a actual top pairing guy in that organization. I see him kinda like big rig on the Wings if he was never higher than second pair without #5 you wouldn't notice him. And for a Def d that's the best compliment.

It wasn't his fault he was thrust into a situation he couldn't perform to expectations.

Saw him play, his usage was not the reason for his bad play. Even slow 38 year old Giordano looked better in the playoffs than Holl. Holl was tossing pucks away like grenades and making a bunch of other bad choices in the Leafs end.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He was fine in WPG as the 15-17 minute 5-7 guy that he is. Then MTL thought he was a 20 minute/game guy and because he didn't completely crap the bed at first, he gained a higher rep. The guy thinks he has more puck skill than he does, instead of being the stay in your own end that his skills suggest he is. If he would stop thinking he was a puck carrier/offensive guy, he could be an alright with 17-19 minutes a night guy, but last year he didn't do that.

Pure speculation on my part.

Maybe Suter comes back?

I haven't seen him sign, unless I missed it.

He isn't coming back. There is already no forward spots to spare as is, and he would want at least 3 mil per which he is not worth.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He isn't coming back. There is already no forward spots to spare as is, and he would want at least 3 mil per which he is not worth.

At this point in free agency, it's fair to assume he's not gonna get $3M. He's gotta be scrambling to even get signed, only 3 teams still need forwards, plus maybe Arizona after letting Galchenyuk loose.

Reactions: SoupNazi

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
As Redwings fan based in Winnipeg, I can say this is only slightly true. He was the best partner for Buff. Buff was a train wreck when with anyone other than Chiarot. They were a very good pair and brought the best out in each other

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pure speculation on my part.

Maybe Suter comes back?

I haven't seen him sign, unless I missed it.

He’s probably getting league minimum offers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Suter sign long term in Switzerland like Dennis Malgin.

Honestly, that’s not a bad way to go considering the NL pays well. 775k for 1 year at 82+ games, a high tax rate and hard travel with the threat of AHL demotion or trade versus 5 years 300k+ Euros tax free and only 50 games and easy travel? That’s not a bad gig.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In MON he played top pairing minutes on with Petry on their Cup run and looked solid , FLA was middling but again was asked to play top 4 from deadline through a first round exit - so not a ton of time.

At WPG he was key partner to let Byfuglien dominate on their best 2018 playoff run.

Chiarot has had his good moments, imo.

I think we'll find it too as long as our other core will get better. Then it's time to trade him. :D

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He’s probably getting league minimum offers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Suter sign long term in Switzerland like Dennis Malgin.

Honestly, that’s not a bad way to go considering the NL pays well. 775k for 1 year at 82+ games, a high tax rate and hard travel with the threat of AHL demotion or trade versus 5 years 300k+ Euros tax free and only 50 games and easy travel? That’s not a bad gig.

I've also heard that they get a car and free houses/apartments/lofts or the like.

Not sarcasm.

EDIT: I'm just kinda surprised he hasn't signed yet. Solid NHL player.

Last edited:

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013

I think he is chasing a cup. But I would gladly want him back on a 1 year to retire a wing. I was a LGD fan when he was here.
Glenda might be my favorite former Red Wing currently playing in the NHL. Loved him on the team as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think Suter is waiting for those canadian 2018 U20 rapists to get their judgments. They are gonna be suspended, then there's more millions opening for UFAs.

Tarasenko is same thing, some 5M forward from Ottawa is gonna be suspended, then they have money for Tarasenko.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Think Suter is waiting for those canadian 2018 U20 rapists to get their judgments. They are gonna be suspended, then there's more millions opening for UFAs.

Tarasenko is same thing, some 5M forward from Ottawa is gonna be suspended, then they have money for Tarasenko.

Teams don't get salary cap relief from suspensions. They would have to terminate the contract, like the 'yotes did with Galchenyuk.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There has been former cases which did go that way. Like Niedermayer, he got suspended and the whole caphit did disappear.

Those dRapists are gonna be suspended.

Then Ottawa can sign Tarasenko, when certain RW is gonna be out of the cap.

There's just no cap space for better deal for Tarasenko anyhow.

It will open through suspensions. Those suspensions will be full-year, and I think after that contracts could be back to valid.

Reactions: 13to40

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There has been former cases which did go that way. Like Niedermayer, he got suspended and the whole caphit did disappear.

Those dRapists are gonna be suspended.

Then Ottawa can sign Tarasenko, when certain RW is gonna be out of the cap.

There's just no cap space for better deal for Tarasenko anyhow.

It will open through suspensions. Those suspensions will be full-year, and I think after that contracts could be back to valid.
Neidermayer failed to report. I can't think of a single case where a team got cap relief for a league suspension.

I also don't see a suspension happening until the players are formally charged. Who knows when that will happen, it's already been 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad