GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
LA isn’t overcrowded? Traffic is epically bad and the people suck. Maybe if you live in a suburb? We all have our opinions but I found it to be miserable.

Buffalo, Detroit, and NJ are too high for me.

Colorado, Nashville, and Boston too low.
LA population density is only 7.5K per sq mile NYC is 27K, my hometown Vancouver has 1.3K more people per sq mile than LA does. LA is also a lot more spread out in the sense (especially rich people) don’t live downtown. They live in different parts of the hills, then there are also nice parts around Malibu, Santa Monica-West Hollywood-Fairfax/Melrose areas and such. There isn’t much happening in Downtown LA compared to most major cities, it’s much more spread out. In Vancouver everyone lives downtown in a small area. In America it’s common to say someone lives in the “suburbs” when referring to rich people and they live in the “inner-cities” when referring to poor people. In Vancouver it’s the total opposite, the average house is 2 million and all the broke people live in the suburbs

I’m quite well travelled internationally, but have not been to any Southern States. So perhaps I just haven’t encountered the super friendly people to compare them too, but Californians and New Yorkers seem extremely friendly to me. Much more so than people here in Canada, or in the Pacific Northwest. I think the stereotype of Canadian friendliness is perhaps the biggest myth of all time, Canadians are very reserved almost to the extent Europeans are. Americans are very bubbly, outgoing, and it’s commonplace to strike up conversations with or compliment random strangers

Reactions: ponzu4u and Barnaby

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
LA isn’t overcrowded? Traffic is epically bad and the people suck. Maybe if you live in a suburb? We all have our opinions but I found it to be miserable.

LA is an entirely different beast if you're rich. And LA rich is at least seven figures. It's undeniably a destination city for professional athletes. Kings players aren't sitting in rush hour traffic anyway. Profession athletes don't really hang out with regular people. And, honestly, what city, other than NY, can even compare with the sheer number of incredibly, truly top-tier, beautiful women? Not to mention the food...

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
LA population density is only 7.5K per sq mile NYC is 27K, my hometown Vancouver has 1.3K more people per sq mile than LA does. LA is also a lot more spread out in the sense (especially rich people) don’t live downtown. They live in different parts of the hills, then there are also nice parts around Malibu, Santa Monica-West Hollywood-Fairfax/Melrose areas and such. There isn’t much happening in Downtown LA compared to most major cities, it’s much more spread out. In Vancouver everyone lives downtown in a small area. In America it’s common to say someone lives in the “suburbs” when referring to rich people and they live in the “inner-cities” when referring to poor people. In Vancouver it’s the total opposite, the average house is 2 million and all the broke people live in the suburbs

I’m quite well travelled internationally, but have not been to any Southern States. So perhaps I just haven’t encountered the super friendly people to compare them too, but Californians and New Yorkers seem extremely friendly to me. Much more so than people here in Canada, or in the Pacific Northwest. I think the stereotype of Canadian friendliness is perhaps the biggest myth of all time, Canadians are very reserved almost to the extent Europeans are. Americans are very bubbly, outgoing, and it’s commonplace to strike up conversations with or compliment random strangers

Interesting... didn’t realize the disparity in density. It didn’t “feel” that way to me at all but I’m hardly an expert - maybe spent a week there in total over two occasions. California is a beautiful state, but things have gotten a little odd there for me and taxes are crazy and likely only going to rise. I did enjoy San Fran and San Diego though. PCH road trip is a blast.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No insider info or anything, but he walks through an analysis of the Rangers' cap, bonus money problem, and remaining RFAs to sign, and presents some compelling math. He ultimately blames both the loss of Fast AND the buyout of Lundqvist on the Shattenkirk fiasco (because of the 6 million in dead cap this year from that contract alone).

In many central areas that math is replaced by value terms like “a lot”, just felt a bit lazy.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think term was an issue. Plus he may have wanted more to play here given we may not be contenders during length of contract AND tax diff.

That said, if I'm GM of the Rangers right now (apparently, I'm not) I would do my very best to only pay big money to core players. Top 3 D Top 6 Fs and starting G. Everyone else should be btw league minimum and around 1.5m. I don't want to give ANYONE term and more than 1.5m unless they're part of the core.

If we have to pay anyone over 2m like Strome or ADA, it's one year deals.

We have 7 or 8 young kids that could turn out to be core assets. If only 4 turn out to be stars, we still have pay them a lot in a few seasons + Panarin, Zibby, Kreider and Troubs. In other words, we are likely to become a top heavy team like Toronto very soon and paying our complimentary pieces will be difficult. I would avoid locking in any complimentary pieces long term till i know how many and which kids turn into studs.

That said, Fast at 2m for 3 years -- if we did sign him for that, it's still totally reasonable. Could easily move that contract.
One.
Hundred.
Percent.
Agree.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Long story short: ELC bonuses from all our youngsters.

I don’t buy it, but that’s his take. ELC bonuses, outside of some small ones, are pretty hard to trigger.

His basic take is, we cannot afford even $2m AAV after arbitration.

I guess if we sign anyone else to that money besides our free agents we will get our answer. If we don’t then that assertion looks pretty true.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here would be my order of teams to play for, I'd definitely want to play for the Rangers at some point in my career but I wouldn't want to settle down in New York. Too hustle & bustle. I do like big cities but I prefer more spread out ones like LA where you're surrounded by green, the beach, mountains, etc. Dallas would be a nice destination too. Wouldn't want to play in Canada or the dump that is Seattle.

1. Los Angeles (best city in the world, ideal climate, awesome entertainment, shopping, food, huge city but spread out and doesn’t seem overcrowded or too fast paced, beaches & mountains)
2. Anaheim (see above + DISNEYLAND)
3. Vegas (entertainment & shopping, bright lights, weather, and low taxes)
4. Dallas (best state in America, affordable & low taxes, great place to have a family)
5. NY Rangers (my favorite team)
6. Tampa Bay (weather, Disney World, low taxes, great franchise)
7. Florida (weather & low taxes)
8. Arizona (weather & I like coyotes & cactuses)
9. Nashville (low taxes, affordable, I kinda like country music)
10. Carolina (seems fine! cheap! Hate that team tho)
11. St Louis (seems alright! Maybe crime! But who knows!)
12. Colorado (too cold! But fine!)
13. San Jose (too close to those crazies in SF & Berkeley, but I still like Cali)
14. Washington (I like their goal horn, but too much politics)
15. Columbus (seems like a lowkey place nice small town)
16. Boston (seems okay)
17. Pittsburgh (I imagine this place as being cold maybe because their logo is a penguin)
18. NY Islanders (ew)
19. New Jersey (really ew)
20. Philadelphia (really really ew)
21. Minnesota (cold)
22. Chicago (cold & crime)
23. Detroit (dump)
24. Buffalo (middle of nowhere)
25. Calgary (low taxes & some freedom compared to rest of Canada, cowboys)
26. Edmonton (see above but colder)
27. Vancouver (my hometown, depressing hellhole full of drugs & crime)
28. Montreal (French pricks no offense Laf, also high taxes)
29. Winnipeg (this place gets colder than the surface of Mars, and crime)
30. Ottawa (politics except Canadian)
31. Toronto (worst city in Canada)
32. Seattle (this place seems like it’s gonna have a communist revolution & secede from the union)

I've either stayed in, or did business in 6 of your top 7 in the last couple of years. Great places, lots to do. Good people. Got a chance to hear about how different teams invest in hockey in their community. Good ranking, but I will say that the league has got a couple of limited real estate deals, so despite those markets being appealing, the hockey side of it is severely disadvantaged.

That being said, there are 3 (and should've been 4) NHLers that an associate of mine was a youth coach for. Two of those guys have had all broadcast media have major league man-crushes. The third will be a top 4 guy in the next two years. The 4th went to the wrong college program and didn't get the exposure. He was the best athlete of them all. One of them will win the Norris. How'd these guys make the NHL? It all started with the NHL team investing in the community to develop championship caliber athletes.

Another one just got drafted in the top rounds.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
His basic take is, we cannot afford even $2m AAV after arbitration.

I guess if we sign anyone else to that money besides our free agents we will get our answer. If we don’t then that assertion looks pretty true.

If that’s true taking Staal and Hank off the roster was a must

The projected resigns are what 14 million?

So it’s 1million bargain shopping or a trade ideally w Smith off the books . I can’t believe even projected bonuses are they high

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Considering what he signed for this has to be the only realistic reason for why he left. The Rangers most likely never tabled a serious offer.

I would've signed Fast to this deal to be the 3RW staple for a contending window in a millisecond but I guess Gorton and JD figured the glut of prospects/young players could fill his role. We do have tons of forwards so I guess they want to just turn the page and give these guys shots.
I think you’re probably right that the Rangers didn’t make a serious offer- or Fast was dead-set on leaving. But if that’s the case, they should have known and gotten something for him at the deadline.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Here would be my order of teams to play for, I'd definitely want to play for the Rangers at some point in my career but I wouldn't want to settle down in New York. Too hustle & bustle. I do like big cities but I prefer more spread out ones like LA where you're surrounded by green, the beach, mountains, etc. Dallas would be a nice destination too. Wouldn't want to play in Canada or the dump that is Seattle.

1. Los Angeles (best city in the world, ideal climate, awesome entertainment, shopping, food, huge city but spread out and doesn’t seem overcrowded or too fast paced, beaches & mountains)
4. Dallas (best state in America, affordable & low taxes, great place to have a family)
13. San Jose (too close to those crazies in SF & Berkeley, but I still like Cali)
16. Boston (seems okay)
17. Pittsburgh (I imagine this place as being cold maybe because their logo is a penguin)
18. NY Islanders (ew)
21. Minnesota (cold)
23. Detroit (dump)
32. Seattle (this place seems like it’s gonna have a communist revolution & secede from the union)

St. Louis over Chicago? Yikes. I think your list has lost some credibility haha.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think you’re probably right that the Rangers didn’t make a serious offer- or Fast was dead-set on leaving. But if that’s the case, they should have known and gotten something for him at the deadline.

Sure but some teams use guys as own rentals. As much as this stinks losing Fast for so cheap the plan should be to play the kids this year then get some cap space next year to make a few moves

We need to see if Lemieux , Howden , Gauthier are keepers

They are going to bargain shop and/or make a creative trade. A lot of news league wide in the next few days still

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Dude, all the way down the coast of California, it's absolutely scenic and the food is amazing. It goes all the way down to San Diego. Awesome place to live or visit. Americans are different, think about it... big country... lots of regional differences in values and culture. It may come across as ironic but if you look at a team like the Ravens of Baltimore, when they reflect the identity of their fan base, they tend to be pretty popular. Same with the Vegas Knights. Who knew doubling down and going for the cup during every transaction period would resonate in a city that profits off gamblers?

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
LA is an entirely different beast if you're rich. And LA rich is at least seven figures. It's undeniably a destination city for professional athletes. Kings players aren't sitting in rush hour traffic anyway. Profession athletes don't really hang out with regular people. And, honestly, what city, other than NY, can even compare with the sheer number of incredibly, truly top-tier, beautiful women? Not to mention the food...

Every city is an entirely different beast when you’re a rich professional athlete. You can’t compare a regular Joe’s experience at all.

Ed Giacomin

Jul 4, 2003

16. Boston (seems okay)
18. NY Islanders (ew)
21. Minnesota (cold)
23. Detroit (dump)

You lost me at LA. Great weather but the state is a taxing politically correct train wreck. People are leaving CA at a higher rate than NY!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers will have $10,062,500 in performance bonuses with Alexis Lafrenière at $2,850,000. Max bonuses.

The bonus cushion is 7.5% of the $81.5M upper limit. $6,112,500. The Rangers can't exceed that amount.

The Rangers will need to leave $3,950,000 in space. So whatever number the Rangers end up with will need to leave that amount of space to start the season in January.

ARTICLE 50 50.5-50.5

(i) Subject to Section 50.5(c)(i)(A), for the purposes of calculating a Club's Averaged Club Salary, the Averaged Amount of Performance Bonuses (to the extent permitted in accordance with Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above) shall be included as fully earned in the League Year in which they may be earned. However, the unaveraged cash value of such Performance Bonuses shall be calculated in a Player's SPC for purposes of the Variability Rules, as set forth in Section 50.7 below. The cash amount of any Performance Bonuses contained in an SPC that becomes impossible to earn in a given League Year shall, at that time, be deducted from the Club's Averaged Club Salary. Any Payroll Room that may result will only be for the remainder of that League Year and will not affect the Averaged Amount of a Player's multi-year SPC or the inclusion of any Performance Bonuses in the Averaged Amount of the future League Years of such SPC.

Once the bonus is unreachable, the Rangers will have more space. Not right now.
  1. (ii) A Club shall be permitted to have an Averaged Club Salary in excess of the Upper Limit resulting from Performance Bonuses solely to the extent that such excess results from the inclusion in Averaged Club Salary of: (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, provided that under no circumstances may a Club's Averaged Club Salary so exceed the Upper Limit by an amount greater than the result of seven-and-one-half (7.5) percent multiplied by the Upper Limit (the "Performance Bonus Cushion").
Can't exceed the 7.5%. $6,112,500. The Rangers will have $10,062,500.

(iii) At the conclusion of each League Year, the amount of Performance Bonuses actually earned, including, without limitation, and for purposes of clarity, (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, shall be determined and shall be charged against the Club's Upper Limit and Averaged Club Salary for such League Year. To the extent a Club's Averaged Club Salary exceeds its Upper Limit as a result of: (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, then the Club's Upper Limit for the next League Year shall be reduced by an amount equal to such excess.

Any bonuses exceeding the $81,500,000 upper limit are rolled over to the 2021-22 cap.

The NHL MOU allowed teams to spread out their bonus overage in 2019-20 between the next two seasons. Just for this off season.

Re-sign the 4 arbitration bound group II free agents. Say it will cost $13M for all 4 players. The Rangers have around ~$8M left with Lafrenière at $925,000. Fill out the roster. Is Brendan Smith a defenseman or a winger? He has played more wing than defense in the last two seasons. The Rangers don't have much flexibility. Maybe they don't want to carry a bonus overage into 21-22. The Rangers have ~$4M to play with after leaving space for the bonuses. The Rangers couldn't give Jesper Fast $2M.

If Morgan Barron and/or Vitaly Kravtsov are on the team, they both have $850,000 in bonuses.

It is complicated.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Sure but some teams use guys as own rentals. As much as this stinks losing Fast for so cheap the plan should be to play the kids this year then get some cap space next year to make a few moves

We need to see if Lemieux , Howden , Gauthier are keepers

They are going to bargain shop and/or make a creative trade. A lot of news league wide in the next few days still
I totally get that. And you’re right, that’s exactly what they did and will do.
I just think it’s a bit counter-intuitive for them to value him enough to be worth keeping for a “playoff” run but then not keep him around afterword. Regardless of the reason.

Again, I totally appreciate I’m assuming a lot - and I’m sure there’s more to it. But I’m curious to know what happened.

Reactions: Vitto79

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
The Rangers will have $10,062,500 in performance bonuses with Alexis Lafrenière at $2,850,000. Max bonuses.

The bonus cushion is 7.5% of the $81.5M upper limit. $6,112,500. The Rangers can't exceed that amount.

The Rangers will need to leave $3,950,000 in space. So whatever number the Rangers end up with will need to leave that amount of space to start the season in January.

ARTICLE 50 50.5-50.5

Once the bonus is unreachable, the Rangers will have more space. Not right now.
Can't exceed the 7.5%. $6,112,500. The Rangers will have $10,062,500.

Any bonuses exceeding the $81,500,000 upper limit are rolled over to the 2021-22 cap.

The NHL MOU allowed teams to spread out their bonus overage in 2019-20 between the next two seasons. Just for this off season.

Re-sign the 4 arbitration bound group II free agents. Say it will cost $13M for all 4 players. The Rangers have around ~$8M left with Lafrenière at $925,000. Fill out the roster. Is Brendan Smith a defenseman or a winger? He has played more wing than defense in the last two seasons. The Rangers don't have much flexibility. Maybe they don't want to carry a bonus overage into 21-22. The Rangers have ~$4M to play with after leaving space for the bonuses. The Rangers couldn't give Jesper Fast $2M.

If Morgan Barron and/or Vitaly Kravtsov are on the team, they both have $850,000 in bonuses.

It is complicated.

Figured we were/are very tight on the cap, but what I don't understand is why they couldn't keep such a valuable glue guy at $2M? Get rid of Smith FFS, even if you need to throw in a draft pick to get it done! It's lunacy any way you look at it!

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Performance bonuses on ELCs fall into two levels; A and B.

“A” Level
“A” level performance bonuses are paid by the team (not the league) and an ELC can contain any number of individual “A” level performance bonuses. Each individual “A” level bonus can pay out a maximum of $212,500 and combine for a maximum of $850,000. So four maxed out “A” level performance bonuses.
Position“A” Bonuses
Forward-Top 6 in TOI on team (min. 42 games)*
-20 goals (min.)**
-35 assists (min.)**
-60 points (min.)**
-0.73 points per game (min. 42 games)
-Top 3 forwards in +/- on team (min. 42 games)
-Makes end of season All-Star Rookie Team
-Selected or play in NHL All-Star Game
-NHL All-Star Game MVP
Defense-Top 4 in TOI for defenders on team (min. 42 games)*
-10 goals (min.)**
-25 assists (min.)**
-40 point (min.)**
-0.49 points per game (min. 42 games)
-Top 3 defenders in +/- on team (min. 42 games)
-Top 2 defenders in blocked shots on team (min. 42 games)
-NHL All-Star Game MVP
Goalie-1,800 minutes played (min.)**
-GAA<median GAA for all goalies***
-SV%>median SV% for all goalies***
-20 wins
-Shutouts>median shutouts for all goalies***
-NHL All-Star Game MVP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*This bonus can be split into two categories: aggregate TOI and per-game TOI. Each can carry a max of $212,500 but cannot exceed $212,500 together.
**This bonus cannot be negotiated for less. For example, a team and a forward can’t set this “A” level bonus for goals at 15.
***This bonus is for all goalies that played a minimum of 25 games.

“B” Level
Any player on an ELC is eligible for a “B” level bonus. These are paid by the league. Some “B” level bonuses (winning the Hart, Richard, Vezina, Jennings, Norris, Conn Smythe, or Selke) can be negotiated with the team. Level “B” bonuses are paid based on the CBA (Max total is $2.000.000). It sets out how much can be paid per bonus. A “B” level bonus is paid for one of the following:
  • Winning a select trophy or award: Hart, Norris, Vezina, Selke, Richard, Lady Byng, Jennings, or Calder
  • Named to the first or second All-Star Team (end of season All-Star team)
  • Forwards: top 10 in goals, assists, points, points per game for forwards
  • Defensemen: top 10 in goals, assists, points, points per game for defensemen
  • Goalies: top five in GAA (25 game min.), SV% (25 game min.), wins (30 game min.)
New York Rangers Performance Bonuses in 2020-2021
Fwd | Alexis Lafrenière |$2.850.000 (Presumed amount - not yet signed his ELC)
G | Igor Shesterkin |$2.850.000
Fwd | Kaapo Kakko |$2.650.000
D | Adam Fox |$850.000
Fwd | Filip Chytil |$350.000
Fwd | Julien Gauthier. |$300.000
D | Ryan Lindgren. |$212.500
-------------------------------------------
TOTAL | |$10.062.500
Performance Bonus Ceiling (7,5% of 81.500.000) = $6.112.500
POSSIBLE OPENING NIGHT OVERAGE = $3.950.000 (DEFERRED TO 2021/2022)

Other Dark Horses
Fwd | Morgan Barron | $850.000
Fwd | Vitali Kravtsov | $850.000
Fwd | Justin Richards | $850.000
D | K'Andre Miller | $300.000
Fwd | Jacob Elmer | $132.500
Fwd | Patrick Newell | $132.500
D | Matthew Robertsson | $132.500
D | Tarmo Reuanen. | $132.500
Fwd | Austin Rueschhoff | $107.500

STUPID RULE. FOR CERTAIN. Many mathematical possibilities. Also 4 sure...

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, if the Rangers really do have a legitimate concern regarding the performance bonuses and arbitration awards, then I'm glad to know they're on top of it. Seems crazy that we couldn't fit a $2M contract but if that's the mathematical reality then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad