2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This draft gets more and more interesting with the recent rise of Sennecke. I'm leaning towards:

1. Celebrini

2. Levshunov
3. Demidov

4. Dickinson
5. Buium
6. Lindstrom
7. Silayev
8. Yakemchuk

9. Iginla
10. Catton
11. Parekh
12. Helenius
13. Sennecke
14. Eiserman

15. Brandsegg-Nygard
15. Greentree
16. Jiricek
17. Connelly

Rest

That's about what I see. Although I struggle with 9 through 17 in ranking them. I feel like I'm throwing darts at a draft board somewhat blind folded.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Ran the lottery sim 3x. We won the 1stOA on the third spin. This is what I came away with.

View attachment 864035

Holy Moly, EJ Emery at 85? 31 teams asleep at the wheel...

That's about what I see. Although I struggle with 9 through 17 in ranking them. I feel like I'm throwing darts at a draft board somewhat blind folded.
Chernyshov should be in the last group... I have a feeling he'll go top 15, possibly to us. Greentree is a faller, I think. Too much risk he can't significantly improve his heavy feet. I'd rather bet on a scrawny 18 year old bulking up, or a big mature 18 year old getting better mobility and skating technique, than a big mature 18 year old figuring out how to increase his fast twitch.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't personally agree, for the same reason I don't think we need to trade for Perreault or Leonard. Players of Celebrini's caliber (or Smith's) can build chemistry with other players. I think there will be other options at 14 that I'd rather us pick even if they're best friends as 18 year olds.
I don't tend to agree with it either but I'm okay with it being part of the calculation for acquiring players. It shouldn't override getting a better player but it can at least be acknowledged as information that goes into the decision.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Holy Moly, EJ Emery at 85? 31 teams asleep at the wheel...

Chernyshov should be in the last group... I have a feeling he'll go top 15, possibly to us. Greentree is a faller, I think. Too much risk he can't significantly improve his heavy feet. I'd rather bet on a scrawny 18 year old bulking up, or a big mature 18 year old getting better mobility and skating technique, than a big mature 18 year old figuring out how to increase his fast twitch.
More like folks who made the list the sim runs on are asleep at the wheel. We’ll be lucky if Emery is there at 33 as far as I’m concerned.

I haven’t been all that impressed with Greentree, but not just because of the skating (which I don’t think is as bad as say Matthew Wood last year).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A goalie I'd like to see them draft in the later rounds would be Evan Gardner. Probably just an okay goalie on a good juniors team but if we spent anything like a 4th or later pick seeing if anything is there with him, I'd be alright with it.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Ran the lottery sim 3x. We won the 1stOA on the third spin. This is what I came away with.

View attachment 864035
I love this draft purely because it would provide some great names in the system. The alliterative Sebastian Soini and EJ Emery would be great additions. Timur Kol and Fyodor Avramov are the sorts of names you want from Eastern Europeans. Macklin Celebrini is obviously great as are Raoul Boilard and Leo Sahlin Wallenius. Obviously Austin Baker and Liam Greentree are a bit boring but there are only so many elite names available.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Many here are souring in Eiserman, I think I understand why but I can’t overlook his shot that leads to so many goals. To me, it’s as important as Pavs ability to tip shots. It’s a skill.
We need that. That’s my take and opinion. This kid is nearly eligible for next years draft. We can teach him how to play but that shot of his is deadly.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Many here are souring in Eiserman, I think I understand why but I can’t overlook his shot that leads to so many goals. To me, it’s as important as Pavs ability to tip shots. It’s a skill.
We need that. That’s my take and opinion. This kid is nearly eligible for next years draft. We can teach him how to play but that shot of his is deadly.
A guy being young for his draft class only really matters if he’s still growing or has a late-season surge. If anything, Eiserman has regressed from what he was last year, and I didn’t even really like him then either. He hasn’t grown and he looks like a man already. Compare that to baby-faced kids like Celebrini, Catton, Helenius, Sennecke. Even Lindstrom has big kid energy.

Iginla would be an example of someone where the late birthday is meaningful to me, as he’s an exploded in terms of progression over the last year.

Here’s my post from the first page of this thread about him:

I like Celebrini a lot. Not so much the other two [Eiserman and Kiviharju], though Eiserman’s ability to put the puck in the next from seemingly nothing is frankly the best I’ve seen in the 10+ years I’ve scouted prospects.
My opinion hasn’t changed. I’m not interested in Eiserman at all.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
A guy being young for his draft class only really matters if he’s still growing or has a late-season surge. If anything, Eiserman has regressed from what he was last year, and I didn’t even really like him then either. He hasn’t grown and he looks like a man already. Compare that to baby-faced kids like Celebrini, Catton, Helenius, Sennecke. Even Lindstrom has big kid energy.

Iginla would be an example of someone where the late birthday is meaningful to me, as he’s an exploded in terms of progression over the last year.

Here’s my post from the first page of this thread about him:

My opinion hasn’t changed. I’m not interested in Eiserman at all.
I respect your opinion. I’m sure you’ve viewed him much more than me. I’m on the side of not being bummed if we do end up drafting him .

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I love this draft purely because it would provide some great names in the system. The alliterative Sebastian Soini and EJ Emery would be great additions. Timur Kol and Fyodor Avramov are the sorts of names you want from Eastern Europeans. Macklin Celebrini is obviously great as are Raoul Boilard and Leo Sahlin Wallenius. Obviously Austin Baker and Liam Greentree are a bit boring but there are only so many elite names available.
You figured out my strategy I see:skeptic:

• Haha
Reactions: Sendhelplease

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Not really. I can’t say I know enough about these kids to make an informed decision such as that.
I know the draft is literally a crap shoot.
I like watching what other fans have to say. It gives me perspective and makes me aware of some I don’t know.
Moreso than not? I simply wait to see who we draft and pay attention to that.
Boring but it works for me.

I will add that watching college hockey for the first time in my life has given me more ammunition to who is good.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
It already happened, man. Chicago won.

giphy.webp

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California

Really great article and insight.

I wasn’t that familiar with Cole Beaudoin before but after reading Wheeler’s piece, he sounds like a total Grier player.

Also, theres a few high profile Coles in this draft! Eiserman, Hutson, Beaudoin…

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

Really great article and insight.

I wasn’t that familiar with Cole Beaudoin before but after reading Wheeler’s piece, he sounds like a total Grier player.

Also, theres a few high profile Coles in this draft! Eiserman, Hutson, Beaudoin…
Possibly a target at 33 if we don't go D!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Man, im approaching being good to take Cole Hutson at 33. He’s really, really good and not as tiny as his older brothers.

Hard no on Beaudoin. If we didn’t have Bystedt and Edstrom our system, maybe, but he’s literally the last type of player we need.
My dream target at 33 is Freij but I wouldn’t hate Hutson.

I’d be okay with Beaudoin if he’s there at NJD 2nd otherwise agreed

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Sure, if we can pick one of the remaining upside D at 33/40 we should. But if Beaudoin is a good bet roster player, even if in the mould of Bystedt/Edstrom, roster players from your second round and beyond are an excellent outcome. I'd probably rather another player of that profile vs an offensive upside winger prospect who fell that far.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My dream target at 33 is Freij but I wouldn’t hate Hutson.

I’d be okay with Beaudoin if he’s there at NJD 2nd otherwise agreed
I wouldn’t hate Freij at 33 at all, but I just don’t see what he does better than Hutson except be a couple inches taller and maybe a slightly better skater. But other than physical tools Hutson out-classes him by a ton. Higher IQ by far, better defensive game (in my opinion of course, but I think it’s a significant advantage), better shot, better playmaking, better sense of when to jump in, etc.

Sure, if we can pick one of the remaining upside D at 33/40 we should. But if Beaudoin is a good bet roster player, even if in the mould of Bystedt/Edstrom, roster players from your second round and beyond are an excellent outcome. I'd probably rather another player of that profile vs an offensive upside winger prospect who fell that far.
I also don’t think Beaudoin is as safe a bet as you’re suggesting. Primarily because his skating is not good and he’s already incredibly physically developed so there isn’t all that much room for improvement. I don’t really see top-9 upside personally. But Beaudoin definitely has the smell of a mid-20’s pick by a perennial contender like Colorado/Carolina, so hopefully he goes before 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad