GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Way too much noise around Vegas and Pietrangelo for it not to happen

What I don't get is, has STL really low balled Pietrangelo? Why? Or has AP just not had that much interest in resigning there? It also seem like this has been obvious for STL for a longer time, see the Faulk trade that don't make a lot of sense unless they were afraid of losing AP.

Sure, it could be that AP just wants to try something new and/or think that he can make a little more as a UFA. BUT, this is quite unusual. STL is a pretty popular place to play in. Uproot your family and move to Vegas?

I can't help but to feel that AP wants to go back home to Toronto. JMHO. That would explain the above, kind of like with Shatty to NY. Of course just pure speculation and there could be many other explanations, but its impossible to deny that this situation is a bit odd.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They won’t pay him any signing bonus and on top of that they won’t even go to 8 mil. They’re not keeping him like that no way

mti79

May 11, 2007
Bring back Fast!!!! Don't really care what else we do (find a competent center and a LD) just keep Jesper in the fold

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There’s really not much I’m all that interested in, in free agency. In the absence of having been able to deal Strome for anything of legitimate value at the draft, he’s probably the best free agent 2C center we could land.

Unless he goes as part of a package for a top LD or young 2C like immediately, my thought would be one year deal, Hope Chytil surpasses him, trade him at the deadline (whether or not we are competing for a playoff spot, btw).

We do need legitimate forward depth given that we were running out some really negative players last year so as long as it’s cheap I don’t mind fishing for some buyouts like Wallmark or whoever. Don’t think Wennberg will be affordable.

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
With regard to Matt Martin...

Mike Johnston said it best just moments ago on SiriusXM NHL Morning Skate..

‘You simply cannot pay more than $1 million for 4th line players. Your 4th line needs to be comprised of young players and/or ELCs and Vets on the league minimum.’

So anything more than that $1 million for Matt Martin is a disaster

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I slept on the idea of Matt Martin and with such a young team, I'm okay bringing him in on a cheaper deal for a year or two. Maybe $1-1.2m per season as a 12th/13th forward.

Beyond that, no.

Wennberg and Hinostrozza please.

It will be interesting to see how Gorton plays today because he hasn't been able to move some of the guys he has wanted to up to this point but, more than likely, there will be trade opportunities that open up once teams miss out on some UFA's. Be that Vegas, Calgary, Buffalo, Ottawa, etc.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
With regard to Matt Martin...

Mike Johnston said it best just moments ago on SiriusXM NHL Morning Skate..

‘You simply cannot pay more than $1 million for 4th line players. Your 4th line needs to be comprised of young players and/or ELCs and Vets on the league minimum.’

So anything more than that $1 million for Matt Martin is a disaster

hes 100% right. In this climate that salary cap and then looking at what we have up front there’s no way you can afford to pay those guys any real money. Just can’t. This is why I mentioned few months back I’m not sure how Lemieux stays much longer. He’s already making 925k. Are you going to pay him much more than that? I don’t see how you can let alone sign another guy like Martin at 2 mil plus

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
hes 100% right. In this climate that salary cap and then looking at what we have up front there’s no way you can afford to pay those guys any real money. Just can’t. This is why I mentioned few months back I’m not sure how Lemieux stays much longer. He’s already making 925k. Are you going to pay him much more than that? I don’t see how you can let alone sign another guy like Martin at 2 mil plus
But Lemieux is more of an investment. He still falls into the young player category that you are hoping can continue his development. Even if his ceiling is not exponentially higher than what it is right now. And he adds that physical element to the makeup of the team again while still hoping he can round out his game more. Matt Martin is just nothing but a physical player who isnt a very quick skater and has hands of stone despite the outlier of production he showed in the playoffs this year, which were really odd goals tbh

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ll tell you what if Nylander is really in play that’s the kid if we want to go big game hunting that’s the kid I commit to. Hell of a player

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
But Lemieux is more of an investment. He still falls into the young player category that you are hoping can continue his development. Even if his ceiling is not exponentially higher than what it is right now. And he adds that physical element to the makeup of the team again while still hoping he can round out his game more. Matt Martin is just nothing but a physical player who isnt a very quick skater and has hands of stone despite the outlier of production he showed in the playoffs this year, which were really odd goals tbh

what investment. Who’s he going to be? He’s a 4th liner imo. Nothing special. I agree I keep Lemieux over a Martin but the money shouldn’t be much different. 1 mil to 1.2 mil tops for Lemieux

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
This will be a really interesting Free Agency. What are the prices for these guys? It's essentially entirely made up of the NHL's 'middle-class'--at best 2nd line guys, but almost all 3rd or bottom six, 3rd pairing or low-end #4 dmen, lots of UFA goalies but maybe two that are even average starters.

Will it be like every other year where these guys get deals that teams regret? Or will there be a lot more of short-term, low price, pandemic specials? If the latter, no reason we couldn't get Fast back, and really improve our team.

But I have a feeling GMs will still be tossing money and years around.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I just think it’s a lousy crop of free agents more than anything. You couple that with a flat cap and teams losing money it’s not going to be very exciting.

Pietrangelo Hall (who I don’t like at all) and who else krug? Then a million goalies. Not very exciting

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Interested to see where Fast lands. Sucks we couldn’t keep him on a long term team friendly deal but makes sense he wants to get paid.

I’m guessing we put $3m on the table and he’s going to get closer to 4 on the open market.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Investing 3 mil Long term in this environment into soon to be 29 year old always beat up Winger Jesper Fast is going to be very bad business for someone

Reactions: kovazub94

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't like many of these free agents this year just dont i'd probably just try to grab some depth forwards for the fourth line i really would maybe jankowski rodrigues noesen or larsson.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
REALLY REAALLLLY dont want Martin. Please no God no

Im worried though because the Rangers "identified" where they need to get better and its in that category. To me its more about replacing dipsy doodlers like Kravstov with a straight line player and not addressing the bottom lines... If you want that resign Fast and Lemieux. They are already here.

Also getting a little meaner on D and adding another Lindgren Trouba type to the left side where Staal and Smith were/are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad