GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
We all saw how easily Edmonton has turned their abundance of forwards into competent defensemen. I'm quite happy to help Toronto keep paying a premium to keep them.
Would you mind pointing out who is each of Matthews, Tavares, Kadri(great contract), Marner, and Nylander on the Oilers please. And who plays McTavish, Lowe, and Chiarelli?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Matthews will not be gotten by offer sheet, it's a silly thought.

Horse shit. You can only pay so many guys. The offer sheet threat could just be the leverage prompting a deal. That could put them in position to pay two guys almost a third of the cap. Getting Matthews here will always be a long shot but it certainly isn't "silly" for the organization to look for ways to make that happen considering the $11 million they just paid for Tavaras and how many big contracts they have coming up.

Reactions: _Del_

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Horse ****. You can only pay so many guys. The offer sheet threat could just be the leverage prompting a deal. That could put them in position to pay two guys almost a third of the cap. Getting Matthews here will always be a long shot but it certainly isn't "silly" for the organization to look for ways to make that happen considering the $11 million they just paid for Tavaras and how many big contracts they have coming up.
The Leafs will trade every winger they have signed before they let Matthews walk by offer sheet. Yes it's a silly suggestion.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Toronto has 50M locked up on 11 players in 2019-20. Only 3 are dmen. Seven forwards (including Horton). 1 goalie.

They need seven more forwards, four dmen and a backup with ~30M left.

Not counting Nylander on a hypothetical $7M contract, Matthews, Marner, Kapanen will all need contracts. And the total for those four gets added to the total. Let's say they get a very conservative $20M for all four of them. Still need three forwards and 3-4 D and a backup. For 10M.

Rielly, Zaitsyev, and Dermott are under contract on D. Gardiner is UFA. I assume they'll want to spend money chasing a premier dman. Maybe two. How much do you think that will run?

Won't be easy to keep every one they want to. I'd be thrilled to make the decisions even harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0point1 and RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto has 50M locked up on 11 players in 2019-20. Only 3 are dmen. Seven forwards (including Horton). 1 goalie.

They need seven more forwards, three dmen and a backup with ~30M left.

Rielly, Zaitsyev, and Dermott are under contract on D. Gardiner is UFA. I assume they'll want to spend money chasing a premier dman. Maybe two. How much do you think that will run?

Not counting Nylander on a hypothetical $7M contract, Matthews, Marner, Kapanen will all need contracts. And the total for those four gets added to the total.

Won't be easy to keep every one they want to. I'd be thrilled to make the decisions even harder.
Of course it won't be easy, not much worth doing is. Backup for 1 million. The D men are probably in the system so not much more than a million each but there's talk of moving Zaitsev?? They will get to where they need to be and Matthews will be a Leaf unless a trade offer knocks their socks off. There is zero chance he leaves through offer sheet, absolutely zero. Whether Marner and Nylander stay is debatable, personally I'm doubtful. Take off Martin as well, he's leaving shortly and I doubt they pay Kapanan much, he isn't essential.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Martin is under contract for 2019-2020. You're going to burn assets to move him? Who is taking that off your hands? Even without Zaitsyev, you've got four dmen and four forwards to to add for ~13M (and that's assuming Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Matthews are only $20M)
Good luck.
Like I said, Edmonton has had a "simple" issue to fix, too. Here we are years later. Still against the cap and forward heavy, light on D.

Leafs fans have seen this coming for years! Trade board is full of "Nylander for equivalent D" proposals. Trade for other team's elite D. How many OEL to Tor threads? But still, here they are. On the verge of caphell years later, trying to figure out how to balance the roster and keep the shiny pieces before D-day next season when they have zero cap space and Rielly is their best dman.

The point of a Nylander sheet will be to force their hand and their margins. It isn't just to add Nylander or not in a vacuum. Same with Matthews. How do they match when they can only go over the cap by 10% during the off-season? What panic move do they make to accomodate? Or do they look for best value out of their disgruntled #2 C, Auston Matthews?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Matthews is Leafs number 1 center for the record, he is better than Tavares. He's Crosby with Tavares playing the role of Malkin.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
ROR went for 2 useful roster players, 2 late picks, and a nothing prospect.

That offer seems... beatable.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
My god that is quite the haul for Buffalo.

Clearly XX and I have different feeling regarding the players traded.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
My god that is quite the haul for Buffalo.

They had to get Thomas or Kyrou in addition to Thompson IMO. Not bad, but Buffalo needed to get more for ROR

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They had to get Thomas or Kyrou in addition to Thompson IMO. Not bad, but Buffalo needed to get more for ROR

Imagine trading prime Stepan for 2 replacement level 3rd liners, 2 late picks, and a prospect that has so far struggled to transition to the NHL game.

The rare instance where a grab bag of crap actually gets you a top player. Amazing.

Reactions: SR and 0point1

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We didn't want to beat that? Is that with Buffalo paying the bonus?

Ah nevermind, that's with St Louis paying the bonus.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No the Blues did

The 1st is also top 10 protected

The trade is the equivalent of taking a crisp $100 bill and then asking for 65 dollars in loose change back. Yeah, you got "more" stuff but you used a prime asset to get a bunch of easy to acquire crap, while the Blues kept every jewel they cared about. The 2nd isn't even until 2021.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The 1st is also top 10 protected

The trade is the equivalent of taking a crisp $100 bill and then asking for 65 dollars in loose change back. Yeah, you got "more" stuff but you used a prime asset to get a bunch of easy to acquire crap, while the Blues kept every jewel they cared about. The 2nd isn't even until 2021.
Maybe you are under estimating the value of the assets Buffalo is getting or maybe ROR is tainted by his own attitude and history. Surely many teams need a 1C, this must have been the best offer.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Horse ****. You can only pay so many guys. The offer sheet threat could just be the leverage prompting a deal. That could put them in position to pay two guys almost a third of the cap. Getting Matthews here will always be a long shot but it certainly isn't "silly" for the organization to look for ways to make that happen considering the $11 million they just paid for Tavaras and how many big contracts they have coming up.

And Chyka has the nuts to do it too.

Reactions: RemoAZ

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Woof, St. Louis destroys Buffalo here. They also save money while getting rid of 8.35M in just Sobotka and Berglund. Tage Thompson is a good pick with potential but as stated is having a hard time adjusting, but hes still very young. Top 10 protected 1st is like getting a player thats 50/50 making any impact in todays NHL, never mind the 2nd.

1st (protected)
2nd in 2021
POJ (equivalent to Thompson)
Panik (sabotka equivalent)
Demers ( I know hes D but equivalent to Berglund)

I do that all day, I dont care if you replace one of them with Fischer, either.

Reactions: XX

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I am so, so thankful that we have the ideological opposite of Botteril in Chayka. A GM that thorough understands comparative advantage.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I am so, so thankful that we have the ideological opposite of Botteril in Chayka. A GM that thorough understands comparative advantage.

No kidding. He has a balanced diet when it comes to need, money and term. He also calculatively makes the better decision more often than not. Zadina being the only true tale, but that can change.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Sobotka and Berglund were throw ins and the Blues aren't at all torn up they are gone. Anyone that would trade a top center for a late 1st, a super distant 2nd, and the equivalent of Nick Merkely doesn't belong in management.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad