GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really want to see a Crouse Strome Merkley 4th line. They were a great trio last season. We would suddenly have more scoring depth than ever before.
Every year we get a surprise at training camp and I expect this year will be no different. Maybe it's Merkley, time will tell.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
JNolan -- size and bite we are lacking.
We were a soft team last season and are now softer. Need a vet Forward and Dman with some bite......many would hate Nolan, but he's the type of player needed.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
If only Jordan Nolan could hockey

The only interesting thing I could see about it is if he would concuss one of the King's defenders and effectively end his career in a preseason game. (Btw, not wishing that on anyone, even the Kings... just a shot at Nolan's history against the Yotes.)

I'd totally be down to add some toughness and big body to the team... I just don't like Nolan.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I passionately hated Brad May... Until he came here.

It is what it is, and we could definitely use some bite.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Re: Offer sheets. I wonder if San Jose does it. They have a shit load of cap space and maybe they want to turn the screws on Toronto a bit after losing out on Tavares. Doug Wilson is a killer. He gutted Ottawa's GM. He's done 2 offer sheets in the past too -- Niemi and Hjalmarsson.

People say why would Player X sign an offer sheet? As rarely as they are used, the player always signs. Typically because the offer sheet is for a ton of money and the player typically goes to the highest bidder.

Edit: Sharks don't have their 1st rounder.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Because I think odds are real good he doesn't get 12 goals again. Because I want to get away from a fourth line that just holds on. Because he is only so-so defensively and worse offensively,despite managing 12 goals last year.

He's okay as a traditional fourth liner. But that's not the lineup and roll I see our fourth line capable of. I'd keep him. I just want to see him rotated in and out as necessary.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I wonder how players feel reading the comments after signing with Arizona.
"RIP to OEL's career signing with the worst team." That's one of ten thousand examples.
I wish the NHL wouldn't even post our team signings. I shouldn't let it bother me but it does.
I would love to see us have one decent season to shut these mother f***ers up!

Reactions: FinnishCoyote

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
"RIP to OEL's career signing with the worst team." That's one of ten thousand examples.
I wish the NHL wouldn't even post our team signings. I shouldn't let it bother me but it does.
I would love to see us have one decent season to shut these mother ****ers up!

OEL has about 8.25 million reasons not to give two shits about which team he signed with each year for the next 8 years

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com
I would love to see us have one decent season to shut these mother ****ers up!

There is a trend developing here...
Players that we traded for are signing extensions with us.
We are retaining our best players.

Its a good time to be a Coyotes fan.
This is a different organization now.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Re: Offer sheets. I wonder if San Jose does it. They have a **** load of cap space and maybe they want to turn the screws on Toronto a bit after losing out on Tavares. Doug Wilson is a killer. He gutted Ottawa's GM. He's done 2 offer sheets in the past too -- Niemi and Hjalmarsson.

People say why would Player X sign an offer sheet? As rarely as they are used, the player always signs. Typically because the offer sheet is for a ton of money and the player typically goes to the highest bidder.

Edit: Sharks don't have their 1st rounder.
Sharks don't have that much Cap space and it would be trouble next year. I don't think the player signs automatically unless the money is downright stupid. Let's say the Islanders offer a million more than Leafs are offering to Nylander. Would you really sign onto that rather than ride shotgun with Matthews?? It's not like his Life would be changed by that contract. There are things to consider besides money.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Or he could sign for a million more and watch Toronto match and still get to play with Matthews. Or sign and end up living in relative anonymity by the Bay on a pretty good team playing with very good players making $1M more a year than he would in Toronto. There are things to consider besides Matthews.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sharks don't have that much Cap space and it would be trouble next year. I don't think the player signs automatically unless the money is downright stupid. Let's say the Islanders offer a million more than Leafs are offering to Nylander. Would you really sign onto that rather than ride shotgun with Matthews?? It's not like his Life would be changed by that contract. There are things to consider besides money.

What if NYI tells Nylander he can play center?

I still think the whole point of this is to just tighten the screws on the other guy moreso than getting the player. IIRC, SJ offer sheeted Hjalmarsson first so Chicago would match, and then SJ could swoop in again for Niemi, their true target, when Chicago could no longer afford to keep him because of the Hammer deal.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's absolutely about the big picture, about putting the squeeze on someone already in a bad spot so that difficult decisions get even harder, and hoping you can take advantage. Even if the only advantage is watching them sell off pieces they would have otherwise been able to keep.
Just like the Hjalmarsson signing. Either watch a good young dman go for picks, or put yourself in a bigger squeeze trying to fit everyone under the cap and making sacrifices on that front. SJS won either way.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Islanders and Sharks can't Offer Sheet, given Isles don't have their own 2nd and 3rd Rd picks next year and SJ doesn't have their own 1st...……..the Coyotes on the other hand :)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Or he could sign for a million more and watch Toronto match and still get to play with Matthews. Or sign and end up living in relative anonymity by the Bay on a pretty good team playing with very good players making $1M more a year than he would in Toronto. There are things to consider besides Matthews.
You do realize the Leafs could just say goodbye and there a really good chance they get a high draft pick next year if it's the Islanders. If it's the Sharks I think that would help them create their own Cap hell as early as next season. They would have the League's highest priced wingers with no centers to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad