GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
He should probably go back to Russia, nobody is handing him a good contract on this side of the pond again. If he has a big year all he could do is continuously get one year deals, the word is out at this point.

I mean yeah if Semin is willing to play for a million sure we should think about it even given the roster jam. That is just too good a price for what he brings and you have to think he will wind up on somebody pretty good if he is willing to do that. But anybody that offers him term again is outright foolish and I don't expect to see it even if he bounces back.

Ribeiro has actually cost himself a lot of money with his behavior over the years. At least in terms of Semin he at least baited somebody into a big contract commitment and banked 7 million for a couple years before that, but his gravy train is over he is in the bargain bin for while and in one year term as long as he stays in NA in my opinion.

I know that Ribeiro cost himself money. Semin has too if he wants to stay in the NHL because he's not getting big money this offseason. Ribeiro is my example of a player taking a cheap one year contract to resurrect his career. If Semin stays in the NHL, I could see him taking that route...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I automatically disregard someone's opinion when he or she suggests signing Semin.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I know that Ribeiro cost himself money. Semin has too if he wants to stay in the NHL because he's not getting big money this offseason. Ribeiro is my example of a player taking a cheap one year contract to resurrect his career. If Semin stays in the NHL, I could see him taking that route...

Its not really Semin's choice.

I am sure his agent is on the phone right now... looking for maybe 3 Mil for 1-2 years.
No GM is going to bite really.

Montreal needs scoring. Pittsburgh.

But with the question marks... its going to wait.

Other players will be signed, and the money earmarked for other players will draw from the money Semin would have wanted.

He very easily could have to accept a 1yr deal with very low cap hit. 2.5 Mil or less. I think he could play for 1, 1.5, 2 any of those numbers I could see a team doing.

Also there is some unwritten rule that if you are a buyout player, your next contract is a low figure. The main player I can use as an example of where someone got bought out then signed a big deal... Lecavalier. No one else is ever going to do that again :P

.... Or will they?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Its not really Semin's choice.

I am sure his agent is on the phone right now... looking for maybe 3 Mil for 1-2 years.
No GM is going to bite really.

Montreal needs scoring. Pittsburgh.

But with the question marks... its going to wait.

Other players will be signed, and the money earmarked for other players will draw from the money Semin would have wanted.

He very easily could have to accept a 1yr deal with very low cap hit. 2.5 Mil or less. I think he could play for 1, 1.5, 2 any of those numbers I could see a team doing.

Also there is some unwritten rule that if you are a buyout player, your next contract is a low figure. The main player I can use as an example of where someone got bought out then signed a big deal... Lecavalier. No one else is ever going to do that again :P

.... Or will they?

Of course it's not his choice. It's what he has to do if he wants to stay in the NHL. Same as Ribeiro. That's all I'm saying.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Of course it's not his choice. It's what he has to do if he wants to stay in the NHL. Same as Ribeiro. That's all I'm saying.

Worked for Ribeiro.

Be interesting to see if Semin can play at all.

I always thought he was good, statistically and on fancy stats etc in Wash. Car was apparently just a crap show.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I'll say the people that would rather guys like Anderson on this team over Semin for the same price for 1 year are crazy. It's more then worth the risk.

We have too many guys coming up that guys like Anderson and miller are off the roster next year anyway. Ferraro, Pulk, Mantha, Larkin, AA. There isn't room anyway. Semin on a bad year puts up more points. As long as it doesn't put us in position where we lose RFA's were fine. Especially since after franzen goes IR and we should trade Quincey that's 8 million right there. Simple as that. Datsyuk and Semin could be lethal, worst case Semin is 3rd line depth for a 1 year deal and replacing players we don't want anyway.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'll say the people that would rather guys like Anderson on this team over Semin for the same price for 1 year are crazy. It's more then worth the risk.

We have too many guys coming up that guys like Anderson and miller are off the roster next year anyway. Ferraro, Pulk, Mantha, Larkin, AA. There isn't room anyway. Semin on a bad year puts up more points. As long as it doesn't put us in position where we lose RFA's were fine. Especially since after franzen goes IR and we should trade Quincey that's 8 million right there. Simple as that. Datsyuk and Semin could be lethal, worst case Semin is 3rd line depth for a 1 year deal and replacing players we don't want anyway.

This isn't NHL 2015. Semin's potential offense isn't worth the defensive struggles he brings. He's not a team player, he's not someone who wants to get better, and he's certainly not someone I would rely on to win in the playoffs. This Datsyuk-Semin magic people keep talking about happened over three years ago against cupcake teams in International hockey.

Semin is just a terrible player now and I don't understand why anyone wants a guy who hasn't had a relevant season in five years.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
This isn't NHL 2015. Semin's potential offense isn't worth the defensive struggles he brings. He's not a team player, he's not someone who wants to get better, and he's certainly not someone I would rely on to win in the playoffs. This Datsyuk-Semin magic people keep talking about happened over three years ago against cupcake teams in International hockey.

Semin is just a terrible player now and I don't understand why anyone wants a guy who hasn't had a relevant season in five years.

Different opinion than mine? "Go back to NHL 15 lolz"

I'd take Semin over Cleary or Andersson any day.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Semin has issues with showing up to play, but if he's showing up he's not a defensive liability. And, really, he didn't put up bad numbers two years ago and was a PPG guy in the shortened season. He wasn't the 40 goal guy from Washington, nor was he worth $7m a year, but he was at least productive.

I'm not really on-board with signing the guy, but if we were reasonably sure Franzen wasn't going to be skating with us next year, I wouldn't mind Semin in camp at the very least.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I see Semin as a good player and would love him on the Wings... But when multiple teams who need offense aren’t interested in him, there’s gotta be some reason behind the scenes why no one seems to want him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Semin has issues with showing up to play, but if he's showing up he's not a defensive liability. And, really, he didn't put up bad numbers two years ago and was a PPG guy in the shortened season. He wasn't the 40 goal guy from Washington, nor was he worth $7m a year, but he was at least productive.

I'm not really on-board with signing the guy, but if we were reasonably sure Franzen wasn't going to be skating with us next year, I wouldn't mind Semin in camp at the very least.

No one is going to sign Semin this offseason. Not a single NHL team. He's going back to Russia. I hope then that it finally proves to everyone here who has suggested signing or trading for him for the past several seasons to realize how wrong they were.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No one is going to sign Semin this offseason. Not a single NHL team. He's going back to Russia. I hope then that it finally proves to everyone here who has suggested signing or trading for him for the past several seasons to realize how wrong they were.

He's got that Russian scoring luster. It's hard to shake. His wrist shot is crazy good.

I get the reasoning, but man, if we're going to gamble I'd prefer sticking to a guy that's slugged it out in the system like Pulkkinen. A guy drafted 111th overall that's worked like a dog to become a top AHL scorer. I like that hunger on the roster.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Semin isn't bad defensively, it's very easy to tell who hasn't watched him play when that type of comment is made.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He's got that Russian scoring luster. It's hard to shake. His wrist shot is crazy good.

I get the reasoning, but man, if we're going to gamble I'd prefer sticking to a guy that's slugged it out in the system like Pulkkinen. A guy drafted 111th overall that's worked like a dog to become a top AHL scorer. I like that hunger on the roster.

Some team is going to sign Semin to a 1 year cheap deal and he's going to kill it. I bet you anything.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I think Semin would thrive in Detroit. Playing on a good, high offense team could light a spark in him. And actually winning games in a city with passionate fans could make playing more fun. In the right situation this guy could blow up.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

5 years is a massive exaggeration. I guess it depends on what you consider "relevant" but it hasn't been that long since Semin has been productive.

I think he will be a signed later in the off season.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
For 1yr @ 1mil I don't care if all Semin does is take shootout attempts and park his butt in the a slot on the PP

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
For his shot alone we need him on the team. That's why Pulkinnen is such a big factor for next season, our biggest problem is we have too many passers and not enough finishers which is the only reason Tampa took us down IMO

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It's not even just Russian scoring luster, he is just a ridiculously talented player. Probably one of the best talents in the league at one point. Very enticing, but I do think he is a straight up head case. Also as Injuredchoker pointed out, maybe a little bit of concern over his shot not being as good anymore because of injuries.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

if his lockout shortened season wasn't relevant, then no red wings player hasn't had relevant season either in last 5 years, save for a few season from datsyuk and zetterberg.

btw, he'd be our best defensive winger. he's very good defensively, that's not the issue with semin. he's probably better defensively than offensively at this point.

let's make avatar bet on that. if he's not signed by the time the season starts, i'll let you choose my avatar until the end of the year. if he is, i can get to choose for you.

Semin isn't bad defensively, it's very easy to tell who hasn't watched him play when that type of comment is made.

it's amazing, if i had to choose the biggest myth or most misguided opinion, it's the notion that semin is bad defensively.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Why are people so hung up on Semin? I get that he has a ton of talent, but so did Nik Zherdev. The guy clearly has problems which is why there's so little interest in him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why are people so hung up on Semin? I get that he has a ton of talent, but so did Nik Zherdev. The guy clearly has problems which is why there's so little interest in him.

i'm not even advocating signing him, he definitely has issues and it probably wouldn't work with blash. i just have an issue with the crap being said here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad