GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not to mention that there is no way the Wings would allow two rookie defenseman to play full time next season.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Wings are going to lose a minimum of one (XO, Marchenko, Sproul) to waivers.
Extremely doubtful. XO and Marchenko will make the team as regulars by next season (or be included in a trade) and Sproul will clear waivers easily if he doesn't improve by a lot (and if he does Holland won't send him through waivers).

Jensen is my only concern, but I'm not sure anyone would pick him up.

Actual Thought*

Makes no sense. It's not like there will be any any roster spots on defense next season either. If the Wings don't have a trade in place to move 2/3 prospects, they will end up being waived.

Nah, injuries happen and they will be given a chance to win a job. If they fail they should be waived. Depth is not a bad thing ever. Competition for jobs is never a bad thing. These kids have been given an amazing opportunity. If they fail to take advantage it is on them.

Aug 6, 2012
I find it kind of amazing that our defense has been terrible for a while now yet we still haven't seen any of our quality young defenseman given the chance to earn a spot. Until the the end of last season at least. You don't really know what you got till you see it in the big show.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Richards provides leadership, ability to run a pp from the point, good puck movement and.smart decision making.

He is a better nhl player than weiss.

35pts would be great on a one year deal.

^ this

Also, it's been 7 years since we won the Cup, Richards won one this year. He brings that into the clubhouse.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Not to mention that there is no way the Wings would allow two rookie defenseman to play full time next season.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Wings are going to lose a minimum of one (XO, Marchenko, Sproul) to waivers.

They wouldn't have to. They could alternate as the 6th/7th defensemen. If Quincey and Kindl are jettisoned that leaves:

Kronwall - Ericsson
DDK - Green
Smith - Marchenko/XO

7th - Marchenko/XO

Pop147258

Apr 28, 2014
Think about it sheahen/mantha, 1st rounder, oulett for shattenkirk
Then dump Ericsson
Shattenkirk kronwall
Green dekeyser
Smith marchenko
Quincy

That is actually a good defence

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Think about it sheahen/mantha, 1st rounder, oulett for shattenkirk
Then dump Ericsson
Shattenkirk kronwall
Green dekeyser
Smith marchenko
Quincy

That is actually a good defence

Not to nit-pick, but there are a few things wrong here:

1) "Dump Ericsson" - good plan, signed for 5 more years (cant just dump him, likely hard to trade him, unrealistic to move him in other words.
2) Quincey #7 at 4.25 Mil? Not happening. No way, No how. He is a #5 (Better than Smith currently) OR he is off the team in trade.
3) Don't think we could get Shattenkirk for that package alone.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If we could get Semin 1yr, 1Million...

Do we even want him???!

2-3 yrs ago, I really liked Semin.
Right now... He would block a kid IMO. And I have less faith in his abilities.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Do we even want him???!

If he would take a salary down there and will wait until around camp I sign him if Franzen doesn't get medically cleared and waive some of the depth players like Andersson and/or Miller. I do it without much hesitation either.

Semin for 200K less than Miller is a no-brainer.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I am with Custance in that I have always wanted to see Semin next to Datsyuk, but also agree with the gist of the last few posts... no real reason to get him for us. Oh well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am with Custance in that I have always wanted to see Semin next to Datsyuk, but also agree with the gist of the last few posts... no real reason to get him for us. Oh well.

Semin only works if you've given up on Pulkkinen... and Franzen.

Semin has flashes of brilliance followed by complete disarray. Last year Semin took a ton of penalties, couldn't get shots on net, and was generally a non-factor. Carolina gambled on him once, got a great year out of him, and then it's been the Semin everybody feared signing showing up again.

If Holland ships out some forwards in a trade (unlikely) and Semin is still hanging around free agency waiting to play with Datsyuk (unlikely) then maaaaaybe.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Do we even want him???!

1 year @ 1M? I think hard about it. Honestly I don't see why we need Ferraro and Andersson and especially not both. Trade away some of our grinders and make room. Not like we have a shortage of guys who could fill in or like those kinds of players are hard to come by.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I can't see Semin coming to Detroit for a couple reasons.

First off...we have too many forwards. Also, we still have to re-sign some of those forwards...such as Nyquist and so forth.

Two..Semin is looking at $7mm/year. Yeah, no thanks.

Three..some trades would have to be made in order to make any cap room. Let's worry about our own forwards getting paid before him.

If you want to see Datsyuk and Semin on the same line..go get NHL15 and let'er rip!

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I can't see Semin coming to Detroit for a couple reasons.

First off...we have too many forwards. Also, we still have to re-sign some of those forwards...such as Nyquist and so forth.

Two..Semin is looking at $7mm/year. Yeah, no thanks.

Three..some trades would have to be made in order to make any cap room. Let's worry about our own forwards getting paid before him.

If you want to see Datsyuk and Semin on the same line..go get NHL15 and let'er rip!

He won't get close to that this time around. If he's looking to resurrect his career at all I could see him taking a 1 year deal with a low cap hit a la Ribeiro last offseason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He won't get close to that this time around. If he's looking to resurrect his career at all I could see him taking a 1 year deal with a low cap hit a la Ribeiro last offseason.

He should probably go back to Russia, nobody is handing him a good contract on this side of the pond again. If he has a big year all he could do is continuously get one year deals, the word is out at this point.

I mean yeah if Semin is willing to play for a million sure we should think about it even given the roster jam. That is just too good a price for what he brings and you have to think he will wind up on somebody pretty good if he is willing to do that. But anybody that offers him term again is outright foolish and I don't expect to see it even if he bounces back.

Ribeiro has actually cost himself a lot of money with his behavior over the years. At least in terms of Semin he at least baited somebody into a big contract commitment and banked 7 million for a couple years before that, but his gravy train is over he is in the bargain bin for while and in one year term as long as he stays in NA in my opinion.

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I hope we go for Oduya. Solid player.

Trade Quincey, Kindl + for another d-man.

Alternatively sign Franson, but I'm not too high on him. He's a bit hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad