GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If you haven't seen him played even once, how can you say with certainty that he won't make the team like you said above. The management saw him so that's more than enough. Not saying the management can do no wrong but how can you say that he won't make the team while you haven't watch him play once.

From what I read from the Kings fans, he could have been part of their team couple of years back and would probably have won the cups with them so apparently he was NHL ready back then.

Bergevin must be smarter than everyone. He found two top 9 wingers for just under 2.5 million. Who needs established top 6 guys. I'll just wait and see

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Only part of your post I disagree with is the last paragraph. Last year it was clear we'd lost some scoring. Vanek and Gionta had actually contributed goals in 2013/14, and going into 2014/15 they were gone, replaced by Parenteau. Even though the defense was much improved, we knew our offense had taken a step back. 2014/15 never looked like a high-offense season.

This year I see our forwards as clearly ahead of last year's pack. Since October 2014 we lost Parenteau and Bourque, who never came close to delivering on their promise. We lost Prust and Malhotra's combined 4 goals. And we lost the enigmatic Sekac, who none of us have figured out. Those are five roster spots who combined for 20 goals.

Kassian alone could outscore any three of them combined. The other four roster spots will be filled by DSP, Mitchell, and whichever rookies step up. It's still a rough group of forwards, but there are more potential goals than last year, and much more potential room for offensive growth. Another 20-goal forward would really solidify our depth. But even if we start as-is, I see a team that's improved, albeit slightly.

I guess I didn't really give much attention to the 4th line. I most looked at offensive guys.
PAP was a clear top 6 coming into last year. He was coming off 33pts in 55gp, so most were optimistic about it. Kassian isn't coming out of such a productive year. He's a total project and most peg him as a 3rd liner unless he blossoms.
So I wouldn't say he's ahead of where PAP was.
Holloway or Sekac, I think we can fairly say it's a wash.
Bourque was coming off from leading our teams in goal in the POs. There was hope.
So I think our top 9 of Patch-DD-Galla-Galch-Plek-PAP-Eller-Sekac-Bourque was more promising at the start of the year than Patch-DD-Galch-Galla-Plek-Kassian-Holloway-Eller-Weise.
I can agree for the 4th line, we have a better one this year. But coming into a season, I was more optimistic with last year's top 9 than this current one.

I see the appeal. Semin would be a huge risk/reward signing. We'd strike gold if he can perform anywhere close to prime. But we'd scream bloody murder if he turns into Bourque/Briere/Parenteau the Sequel.

The thing is his value is probably dropping by the day. Unless there's a bidding war, you've gotta think he's perceived as damaged goods and will be offered whatever cap leftovers remain. Maybe Bergevin is waiting...

I don't think anyone would scream bloody murder. If we were to sign him it would probably be around a 1-2M dollar amount for 1 year, which would pretty much say it all.
He would be a try out. If it doesn't work, he'd be a healthy scratched and probably on waivers in no time.
This is a very low risk move, same with AK, and people would know they're pretty much trials.
I just don't think Bergevin is interested in those guys.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Bergevin must be smarter than everyone. He found two top 9 wingers for just under 2.5 million. Who needs established top 6 guys. I'll just wait and see

I think you are mixing up all your emotions in one pot. Not every move is stupid because it's not that top 6 player that you want. You should be able to evaluate each move for what they are.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I think you are mixing up all your emotions in one pot. Not every move is stupid because it's not that top 6 player that you want. You should be able to evaluate each move for what they are.

He's gonna be TJ Hensicks replacement in St. John's. They need scoring as well

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
When sekac signed every hockey pundit including his big mouthed agent said there were 15 teams after him. Not one person talked about Bud. If he was so in demand why the 2 way contract? Like I said if he makes the starting roster especially in the top 6 this team has huge problems. Also why would Bergevin try to sign belesky and Williams and be supposedly high on sharp if his plan was to have Bud in the top 6? I like underdog stories as much as anyone but banking on him is not gonna happen. Call me ignorant or whatever you like

To be quite honest, I have no idea on who are the best guys playing in Europe or KHL. No clue which guys are being pursued or attracting interest from NHL teams. I don't think that many people do until it's made known to general public.
I had no idea who Sekac was, and have no clue who Bud is.

However, if I understood correctly, before this year Bud's rights were owned by LA.
He became an UFA this year. So, it's a different situation than with Sekac.

Also, Bud put up some very interesting numbers in the SEL. Sekac's numbers have never really been that impressive.
Not that I think he's gonna be awesome, based on statistics of guys coming late from Europe or KHL, chances are he won't be much, but I'll wait to see him play before I really have an opinion on him.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
I guess I didn't really give much attention to the 4th line. I most looked at offensive guys.
PAP was a clear top 6 coming into last year. He was coming off 33pts in 55gp, so most were optimistic about it. Kassian isn't coming out of such a productive year. He's a total project and most peg him as a 3rd liner unless he blossoms.
So I wouldn't say he's ahead of where PAP was.
Holloway or Sekac, I think we can fairly say it's a wash.
Bourque was coming off from leading our teams in goal in the POs. There was hope.
So I think our top 9 of Patch-DD-Galla-Galch-Plek-PAP-Eller-Sekac-Bourque was more promising at the start of the year than Patch-DD-Galch-Galla-Plek-Kassian-Holloway-Eller-Weise.
I can agree for the 4th line, we have a better one this year. But coming into a season, I was more optimistic with last year's top 9 than this current one.

The D is also part of the team. I think it's much better at the start of this year then last. Not only with Petry but now that we know that Pateryn is a solid defensive D we know we have good depth.

Up front I'm hopping for better results from Galchenyuk, Eller and DD.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Going for projects is actually a very good strategy. It costs very little and the reward could be awesome. Just look at Johnson.
The problem is not also going for legit depth. That's my biggest issue with it.

Otherwise, I would totally hire a bunch of amateur scouts to go find projects that have upside to become top players, especially when we have a team that's too good to draft high.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The D is also part of the team. I think it's much better at the start of this year then last. Not only with Petry but now that we know that Pateryn is a solid defensive D we know we have good depth.

Up front I'm hopping for better results from Galchenyuk, Eller and DD.

Agreed, the D is definitely better, assuming Markov goes back to himself.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Markov will be fine now we have Petry and NB is a year older

Beaulieu and Pateryn will be a year older, which is good. But I believe Markov adheres to the same time-space constraints and will be a year older too, which is not good.

Mitigating factors are his reconstituted knees have two less years of strain from the time he missed. The guy's been a piece of iron since he came back (has he missed even a single game since 2013??). Maybe his game can hold up. I just don't get why he keeps being overplayed through the season and right into the playoffs, at which point he plays his worst hockey when we need it most. When does Therrien start scaling back his minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia